Welcome New Hawthorn football director - Luke McCabe

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez you post something about Luke McCabe which anybody who watched him play would agree with and creates a shitstorm. I can see now why the turncoat Gowers got elected President too. Because of Late Millennial/Gen Z Nuffies!
Goodbye dung beetle

Ok, what happened?

The HFC announced on just the 9th of February 2023 that Rayden Tallis would take over as the club's football director.

"
The Board of Hawthorn Football Club has finalised the panel and process to fill the current vacancy of Football Director on the club’s Board.

Former Hawthorn player and life member Rayden Tallis has been co-opted onto the Nominations Committee panel to assist with this process.

Tallis is a familiar face to the Hawthorn faithful given his 163-game career that spanned over 11 seasons in the brown and gold."

Now, 21 hours ago this from the Board.

"Hawthorn Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of Luke McCabe as Football Director on the club’s Board.

McCabe, who played 138 games across a decade-long career for the Hawks, was awarded the role following a rigorous selection process.

Post football, McCabe has gone on to run a successful South Australian agriculture business and is currently serving on the South Australian Football Commission."

No mention of the fate of R Tallis.

Did he resign or was he pushed (Tallis) or are we adding a 2nd Football director?

Not a ringing endorsement of the actions of a professional Board of Directors by anyone's standard.

My other problem with this appointment, besides the gross incompetence of the current board is that Luke McCabe's son is a very strong chance to be drafted by Hawthorn next year.

You could call it nepotism or conflict of interest...take your pick but one thing is for certain a poor pick as I hate both and prime example governance.

No need to come flying to the defense of the new President... his actions speak louder than his words... and his words are very silent at the moment.

Written by R Hawk without the e.

Ok, what happened?

The HFC announced on just the 9th of February 2023 that Rayden Tallis would take over as the club's football director.

"
The Board of Hawthorn Football Club has finalised the panel and process to fill the current vacancy of Football Director on the club’s Board.

Former Hawthorn player and life member Rayden Tallis has been co-opted onto the Nominations Committee panel to assist with this process.

Tallis is a familiar face to the Hawthorn faithful given his 163-game career that spanned over 11 seasons in the brown and gold."

"Hawthorn Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of Luke McCabe as Football Director on the club’s Board.

McCabe, who played 138 games across a decade-long career for the Hawks, was awarded the role following a rigorous selection process.

Post football, McCabe has gone on to run a successful South Australian agriculture business and is currently serving on the South Australian Football Commission."

Did he resign or was he pushed (Tallis) or are we adding a 2nd Football director?

Not a ringing endorsement of the actions of a professional Board of Directors by anyone's standard.

My other problem with this appointment, besides the gross incompetence of the current board is that Luke McCabe's son is a very strong chance to be drafted by Hawthorn next year.

You could call it nepotism or conflict of interest...take your pick but one thing is for certain a poor pick as I hate both and prime example governance.

No need to come flying to the defense of the new President... his actions speak louder than his words... and his words are very silent at the moment.

Tallis was the final appointment to the panel for selecting the director.

Ok, what happened?

"

You seem confused by the original announcement of the sub-committee and Tallis’s involvement with it.

Ok, what happened?

"

Is this the correct account for the poster before

You have misread an article and taken that as R Tallis has been removed

All that typing for nothing

Tallis was the final appointment to the panel for selecting the director.
Hang on...

If what you say is true, then doesn't Rusty's rant & whole position on the current Board seem quite ridiculous - almost like he came in from a long run & completely missed?:think::think:

Hang on...

If what you say is true, then doesn't Rusty's rant & whole position on the current Board seem quite ridiculous - almost like he came in from a long run & completely missed?:think::think:
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he's just a bit... rusty.

I too am a bit "Iffy" over Luke McCabe's appointment, when there is a chance, we pick up Luke's son.

Hang on...

RustyHawk is a legend around here.

I'm letting this one go through to the keeper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I too am a bit "Iffy" over Luke McCabe's appointment, when there is a chance, we pick up Luke's son.
Why?

You’re questioning the integrity of people of the calibre of Harris, Shearer, Gallina, Silk and Tallis.

They’d not have made any decision on the suitability of McCabe for his role in reference to a possible draftee.

The CEO's son plays at the Club...

Steven Silvagni was the list manager when his two sons were on Carlton's list.

These 'perceived' conflicts are not hard to navigate.

And on McCabe specifically, his role isn't to draft players, he is simply the conduit between the football department and the board.

Has the cred, has the resume and experience, great appointment.
Loved the battlers like Luke on the field, earnt his stripes, well done Luke!

Given you are club legend of a footy chat board, you must have thought you were in the running for a footy director spot. But alas they choose a spud footballer instead
138 games is probably a few too many to be called a spud.

But 1 post in 7yrs is enough for all to see you are a fcukwit.

You don’t need to be a good footballer to be a good football director.

Very rarely do the best players make the best administrators!
We done Luke on using your time effectively, post football, to build a career worthy of being the Director of Football at Hawthorn.
Good luck, and may you guide the decisions made by the Football Department effectively to bring further success on the field.
We are still missing a flag in the '20's to keep the streak going.😁

The CEO's son plays at the Club...

Steven Silvagni was the list manager when his two sons were on Carlton's list.

These 'perceived' conflicts are not hard to navigate.

And on McCabe specifically, his role isn't to draft players, he is simply the conduit between the football department and the board.
So if his son isn't getting a game as the football expert on the board he can recommend the coach he sacked?

I don't know much about Luke's credentials but it doesn't pass the sniff test to me. Even if he is a clear number 1 choice for the role I'd go with the 2nd choice to avoid the conflict.

His son is almost certain to be nominated as a father son and this reeks of a dad involving himself in the club to have some influence or insight on his sons career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back