Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Nov 27, 2004
central vic
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
west ham
I know the guy is still very young and in his very early days, but Brock McLean has already surpassed him and in the few times Sylvia has gotten the ball he doesn't seem to have much to look at for a no.3 draft pick. I reckon in the next few practice matches (If we have any) we let him play on the ball the whole game and get used to it.

davey_magik said:
I reckon in the next few practice matches (If we have any) we let him play on the ball the whole game and get used to it.

If he is not used to it now what makes you think he will adapt to it at AFL Level???

Think about your comments before you post them... please

Poopa said:
If he is not used to it now what makes you think he will adapt to it at AFL Level???

I think he means coming back from injury.

We all have to remember that Nick Reiwoldt had done diddly squat until 1/3 way through 2nd year.

ExTasDeeMan said:
We all have to remember that Nick Reiwoldt had done diddly squat until 1/3 way through 2nd year.
whilst I agree and see exactly where you are coming from in riewoldt's case he was pretty much injured until 1/3 way through his 2nd year. when fully fit he simply took off.

Poopa said:

What I meant was that he is clearly not used to it now but a practice match is a practice match so maybe if he gets a fairly good chance to go in and get the ball he will start to play well.

just give him time people geez....

this was off our Demonland Website should reassure you about our gun recruits

People are constantly comparing these two. They only have 1 similarit..1) the fact that they were snapped up in the same draft. Besides this, in terms of game styles they are totally different!

- Mclean was deemed according to Colin Wisbey as "at best a late 2nd round draft pick", he believed he had limited scope for improvement and was too slow.

-Sylvia was regarded by Wisbey as a player "capable of splitting open a game at any time".

-Mclean is infact bigger than Sylvia despite being slightly smaller.

-Mclean is 88 kg compared to Sylvias 87kg

- Sylvia performed extremely well in the aglity and sprint tests in the national draft(top 10% for both) and also had the outright best vertical leap. Highlighting his explosive ablities.

-Mclean performed only once in the top 10% and this was in the 3km time trial! Showing his ability to run all day! A good component of fitness for a midfielder.

- Mclean's main ability is however the ablity to read the play, a skill that really cant be taught. This is what quite possibly Wisbey overlooked.

- Both have VERY VERY impressive junior backgrounds!

- Sylvia played in the same tac cup team as walker and managed to get Best and Fairest for the Pioneers despite suffering from OP.

- One game Sylvia played he got 41 possessions, 14 tackles and 10 marks. This showed his dominance at TAC level.

-Mclean, best on ground for Calder cannons in TAC grand final in wet conditions

-Sylvia, came from the same football club as Chris Tarrent and Dean Solomon!!! The coach( of Bendigo Pioneers) named Sylvia as the best player EVER to ever come out of the club...a huge statement. He further added that sylvia was "a competitive beast" that will give the club that drafts him more than imagineable.

So people, dont stress out if Sylvia hasn't performed yet! HE WILL!! and all those people that have been associated with him, whether it be Daniher, Corcs, Wisbey or the Bendigo pioneers coach all think so too!

---------------------------------------------

And dont worry, if we look at all the other draftees from 2003,

walker, ray, tenace, r.clarke, chaplin,Dunn, Trotter, Watts...they have really done nothing either... Cooney would be the only player within the top 10 that has shown why he was taken so highly. It wont take long for all those others to do the same, including Sylvia.

Mclean showed on Sunday night why he was touted as the 5th best 18yr old in australia... I would have him higher though!

HighRoller said:
walker, ray, tenace, r.clarke, chaplin,Dunn, Trotter, Watts...they have really done nothing either... Cooney would be the only player within the top 10 that has shown why he was taken so highly. It wont take long for all those others to do the same, including Sylvia.

Mclean showed on Sunday night why he was touted as the 5th best 18yr old in australia... I would have him higher though!

Cooney is a far better player.

Walker and Tenace has done nothing :confused:

Bentleigh said:
Cooney is a far better player.

Walker and Tenace has done nothing :confused:

well depends what u mean by done nothing...in terms of actually becoming really good players then no they havent done anything

Sylvia to this point has done absolutely nothing whereas Tenace and Walker would have had a couple of good games where u would go ok that guy has got some talent. If Sylvia had one of those next week he would automatically be classed in the same bracket

HighRoller said:
well depends what u mean by done nothing...in terms of actually becoming really good players then no they havent done anything

Sylvia to this point has done absolutely nothing whereas Tenace and Walker would have had a couple of good games where u would go ok that guy has got some talent. If Sylvia had one of those next week he would automatically be classed in the same bracket

exactly, so far to me:

Cooney
McLean

These two can play consistently good football from week to week, and have shown it.

Walker
Ray

These two have shown in glimpses that they are going to be good players at AFL level

Sylvia

Has shown excellent VFL form but has done nothing to prove he cna match it in the AFL YET... yet.

HighRoller said:

Id take Tenace in a heart beat over Sylivia. Actully id take him over anyone in that draft bar Cooney.

Surly you at this stage you'd want Tenace over Sylvia?

rick James said:
exactly, so far to me:

Cooney
McLean

These two can play consistently good football from week to week, and have shown it.

Walker
Ray

These two have shown in glimpses that they are going to be good players at AFL level

Sylvia

Has shown excellent VFL form but has done nothing to prove he cna match it in the AFL YET... yet.

Tenace? :confused:

At this stage id want (in order);

- Cooney
- Tenace
- Ray
- Walker
- McLean
- Sylvia

Does anyone else reckon McLean looks rather slow?

are you talking in terms of for next weeks game or for the future because for our club i would not want any of them over Sylvia in say 5 years time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HighRoller said:
are you talking in terms of for next weeks game or for the future because for our club i would not want any of them over Sylvia in say 5 years time

You wouldnt want Cooney over Sylvia in 5 yers?

Bentleigh said:
Tenace? :confused:

- Cooney
- Tenace
- Ray
- Walker
- McLean
- Sylvia

Does anyone else reckon McLean looks rather slow?

McLean is slow. Fortunately for Brock he read the play better than most AFL players going around. A natural footy brain, this can be ahrd to gauge unless you've seen him play a fair bit of footy.

Melbourne could have taken Tenace over Brock, but we have Tenace type players already and wanted an endurance type midfielder who can run all day and get he ball a lot.

I did that comparison on the top 5 picks, but to be honest I would slot Tenace in with Brock and Cooney, he's a different type of player though, so for Melbourne i'd take Brocky, for Geelong I'd take Tenace. I'm happy Melbourne selected Brock over Tenace, the kid will play a lot of very reliable, accountable footy and get a lot of the ball.

Sylvia is the real unknown out of the 6 top picks. People have called him slow, but as evidenced above, he was in the top 10 pecent for sprints and agility and had the best vertical leap from that draft. He's had oP whcih he is over now, give him time before evaluating Sylvia.

But I would say Cooney is the clear front runner, Brock and Tenace not far behind. Ray and Walker have shown a glimpse of brilliance or two, and Sylvia hasn't really been given any chances yet.

remember Sylvia won a B & F ahead of Walker, and his bendigo coach reckons he was better htan Solly and Taz. He has a very good pedigree, coming from people who should know. People writing him off are just as bad as people who talk him up too much.

From what I've heard he's a confidence tpye player, so he may still be adjusting to life in melbourne (he's settle d in with a gf now, so that might be oging ok I'd imagine) and from all acounts he's meant to be a bit of a nice guy off the field, so it's probably all too much for him right now, once he finds out where he fits in, he'll play to his ability.

Bentleigh said:

- Cooney
- Tenace
- Ray
- Walker
- McLean
- Sylvia
Hahaha get fu*ked. McLean at no.5 out of 6??? You dont watch very much football do you?

I've said before i rate him. Sure he is my mate. I played football in u/15s and 17s against tarrant and alvey. I played senior footy locally here. In my first year Col played for the team i now play for Merbein. He was fifteen and threw everything into it in his first senior game. He got to play the last 3 games that year because they were getting flogged all year. 10 games the next year then pioneers and look where he is now. He came back in 2002 when bendigo missed the finals and was second best on ground to Harry Millers cousin. He has always been capable of playing against bigger bodies and just needs a little patience. He had OP all last year FFS and the games he did play "yeah" he should've looked a little slow with no pre season at all. He was flying this pre season then had a fracture in his collar bone and the day before the brissie game his old man had a heart attack. In 9 minutes of his first game with a solid pre season everybody has made up their minds hey?
Really his career is just starting and that was his first game. Would like him to be like ottens, a star straight from the draft and now not being able to get a kick. Melbourne know what sort of player they have their hands on so are not rushing him playing every minute of every game because of the injuries he had. Sure Col isn't a KPP but reiwoldt did have a similar start to his career. Everybody saw the effect OP used to have on Wayne Carey when he would come back from a bout of it. Why should Col have to come out and be a world beater when he's only getting things to fall his way just now?

carlos' roos said:
I've said before i rate him. Sure he is my mate. I played football in u/15s and 17s against tarrant and alvey. I played senior footy locally here. In my first year Col played for the team i now play for Merbein. He was fifteen and threw everything into it in his first senior game. He got to play the last 3 games that year because they were getting flogged all year. 10 games the next year then pioneers and look where he is now. He came back in 2002 when bendigo missed the finals and was second best on ground to Harry Millers cousin. He has always been capable of playing against bigger bodies and just needs a little patience. He had OP all last year FFS and the games he did play "yeah" he should've looked a little slow with no pre season at all. He was flying this pre season then had a fracture in his collar bone and the day before the brissie game his old man had a heart attack. In 9 minutes of his first game with a solid pre season everybody has made up their minds hey?
Really his career is just starting and that was his first game. Would like him to be like ottens, a star straight from the draft and now not being able to get a kick. Melbourne know what sort of player they have their hands on so are not rushing him playing every minute of every game because of the injuries he had. Sure Col isn't a KPP but reiwoldt did have a similar start to his career. Everybody saw the effect OP used to have on Wayne Carey when he would come back from a bout of it. Why should Col have to come out and be a world beater when he's only getting things to fall his way just now?

Merbein hey? I've got family up there, my fams mainly from robinvale and red cliffs.

Marns said:
Hahaha get fu*ked. McLean at no.5 out of 6??? You dont watch very much football do you?

Haha...

McLean @ 5. Thats right.

Cooney - outstanding.
Tenace - gun
Ray - Has shown alot, id take him above McLean at this stage
Walker > Sylvia.

carlos' roos said:
Yeah i'm actually in mildura takes about 10 mins to get to merbein. You ever been up this way?

I head up just about every year for a few weeks, usually stay in robinvale...

the worst town out of all those in sunraysia by far.

Im not so sure about Cooney or Ray at this stage.

On form so far you would have to rate Mclean, his better than I thought he was and Walker seems to go all right too.

Nt Bomber said:
Im not so sure about Cooney or Ray at this stage.

On form so far you would have to rate Mclean, his better than I thought he was and Walker seems to go all right too.

I fail to see how anyone can not be sure of Cooney. Outstanding talent and will be a player.

Ray looks very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back