Is there anything wrong with being a Journeyman player?

Remove this Banner Ad

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
As the title says, is there anything wrong with a player drifting to another team every couple of years where they can just slot in and be solid but not exceptional?

Nope, everybody has the right to make the most of their career.

But fans are never going to hold them in the same regard as players who were good enough to be wanted by one club their whole careers.

Martin Pike thread :)

4 clubs. 4 Premierships.

He was the first bloke I thought of. Tipping he doesn't think there is anything wrong with being a journeyman!!

I don't see it as an issue. I think with Pike, he overstayed his welcome at all the clubs barring Fitzroy (who folded/merged) so probably never left with any angst from supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could call those players then went back and forth from the VFL, SANFL and WAFL in the 1970s and 1980s journeymen and boy were there some champions.

I think most journeymen are remembered quite fondly by each team for the few years of service given. Take Ben Hudson for example, I don't think there'd be any Adelaide, Collingwood or Brisbane fans who feel like he left with any sour taste.

I think most journeymen are remembered quite fondly by each team for the few years of service given. Take Ben Hudson for example, I don't think there'd be any Adelaide, Collingwood or Brisbane fans who feel like he left with any sour taste.
Or Bulldogs!

Cameron Wood could be classed as one if he is retained by Carlton. Looked OK for the blues (despite his last minute kick against Freo).

There is nothing wrong with being a spud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back