The Law Is time Irish Backpackers in Australia take more responsibility for their actions

Remove this Banner Ad

TheSaviour

Team Captain
Aug 26, 2006
London
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Australia.
Another Irish backpacker in Sydney is now fighting for his life sustaining serious head injuries after being bashed in Coogee. My experience is that most of these Irish backpackers in Australia are lower class Irish who obviously do the lower level jobs in Australia are the ones carrying on in Bars and getting into fights and susequently a few are now vegetables and 2 have unfornuatly died.

I see this all around the world in America, Europe but mostly Australia. They really carry on in bars and bouncers absolutely hate them. Someone needs to step in and really educate a lot of these fools before the enter Australia IMO.

Putting it that way it's kind of like girls wearing short skirts and walking alone down dark streets - they have the right to do it without getting raped but it might not be smart to exercise the right.

It's not the assault victims fault if that's what you're getting at.

Edit: Just in time for St Pats day!

A Win for the OP!

http://www.news.com.au/national/david-keohane-attacker-not-guilty/story-e6frfkvr-1225841479599

A MAN who viciously bashed Irishman David Keohane in Coogee in Sydney has been found not guilty of his attempted murder.

BTW Irish David had gone to buy some pizza and was set upon in a pre planned robbery ambush. His attacker will be sentenced on robbery and grevious bodily harm charges, but not attempted murder.

482789-david-keohane.jpg

Irresponsible late night pizza buyer David Keohane.

Yet another example of Australian style justice. So even though the thug wasn't charged with murder, but attempted murder, because he didn't intend to kill and didn't know that his actions might kill, he's been let off.

This is the great country we live in. And people want to do something about this supposed knife culture but the courts don't want to hand down sentences for violent crime. Obviously banning violent games, films and music is the solution, incarcerating actual violent people is not. The message is simple. Continue with the violence Australia. Arm yourselves to the teeth. Do not fear the police, do not fear the courts.

KILL OR BE KILLED.

Yet another example of Australian style justice. So even though the thug wasn't charged with murder, but attempted murder, because he didn't intend to kill and didn't know that his actions might kill, he's been let off ...

It was a robbery that went bad. Although he hasn't been charged with attempted murder (and I seriously doubt he went out to kill someone), he definitely hasn't been let off. He's still being charged with robbery, inflicting grievous bodily harm and is looking at a maximum penalty of 14 years (Maybe more?), plus the time he's spent in court.

Still, there are heaps of other factors in a case like this. You simply cannot look at it and say "Well he should be locked up for 50 years", reading the news article (Which does have its own agenda).

Another Irish backpacker in Sydney is now fighting for his life sustaining serious head injuries after being bashed in Coogee. My experience is that most of these Irish backpackers in Australia are lower class Irish who obviously do the lower level jobs in Australia are the ones carrying on in Bars and getting into fights and susequently a few are now vegetables and 2 have unfornuatly died.

I see this all around the world in America, Europe but mostly Australia. They really carry on in bars and bouncers absolutely hate them. Someone needs to step in and really educate a lot of these fools before the enter Australia IMO.

Thankfully Australians never misbehave when overseas.

Yet another example of Australian style justice. So even though the thug wasn't charged with murder, but attempted murder, because he didn't intend to kill and didn't know that his actions might kill, he's been let off.

This is the great country we live in. And people want to do something about this supposed knife culture but the courts don't want to hand down sentences for violent crime. Obviously banning violent games, films and music is the solution, incarcerating actual violent people is not. The message is simple. Continue with the violence Australia. Arm yourselves to the teeth. Do not fear the police, do not fear the courts.

KILL OR BE KILLED.
Beyond reasonable doubt, it's only the standard of proof used in half the worlds courts.

The crown couldn't prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was his intention to kill the victim. so he can't be punished for attempted murder

Um, Ok but applying your views to the three bashing Sydney cases of Irish folk, what evidence was led supporting your view in the cases at hand?

ZERO.

In fact, if you acquaint yourself with the evidence re the Randwick bashing in the most recent case, you'll realise how moronic your OP was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Win for the OP!

http://www.news.com.au/national/david-keohane-attacker-not-guilty/story-e6frfkvr-1225841479599

BTW Irish David had gone to buy some pizza and was set upon in a pre planned robbery ambush. His attacker will be sentenced on robbery and grevious bodily harm charges, but not attempted murder.

482789-david-keohane.jpg

Irresponsible late night pizza buyer David Keohane.
I hope the first line is sarcasm.

And I strongly disagree with the OP.

I remember in Fremantle a couple of years ago an Irish backpacker was assaulted by a group of people near the Norfolk tavern. The motive was also robbery but unluckily for his attackers he was more than capable of defending himself.

Was in the same period where there was a spate of violent assaults and a couple of deaths in the area.

Far from Irish backpackers taking responsibility, it is a case of visitors/foreign students not being adequately warned or aware of some of the dangers at certain night spots (or suburbs). It seems they can be a target, but no doubt drawing attention to the issue is a concern for the government because they are worried it will discourage tourists/students.

It is strange how Australians complain about our justice system being too "soft" on crime yet when some group or certain person they don't like gets bashed they make some veiled "well they should have known better our society is becoming too soft political correctness fights happen part of life etc"

The two don't really match together. One day we're being told the courts are in some sort of scheme to turn Australia into pedoland, and next foreigners are told to wise up if they DARE offend the locals. Sheesh!

What?????:confused::confused:

Did you mean to put this in the Bay?

It is strange how Australians complain about our justice system being too "soft" on crime yet when some group or certain person they don't like gets bashed they make some veiled "well they should have known better our society is becoming too soft political correctness fights happen part of life etc"

The two don't really match together. One day we're being told the courts are in some sort of scheme to turn Australia into pedoland, and next foreigners are told to wise up if they DARE offend the locals. Sheesh!
Good observation and I agree.

With regard to your first paragraph, I am one of those with the view you state. In my opinion we have become soft on crime, and people are looking to blame everyone but themselves. After bashings we always hear from the perpetrator that it was out of character, the alcohol, drugs whatever was at fault never the individual.

When i talk about fighting which does happen, and always will happen im talking about 2 people going toe to toe, and i dont have a problem with it. Im not talking about a 3 on 1 bashing of an innocent person, of someone hit from behind to make a bunch of weak cowards in their Ed Hardy shirts with stupid rat tails look like heroes. The other thing i cant satand is knives and other weapons, anyone who needs these things isnt tough, they are stupid, weak and a waste of space.

This wasnt a personal attack on anyone in particular I am just sick of excuses and sick of people growing up without respect for authority, the law and for other people. I am a Gen Y and am sick of hearing about young people who have been wrapped in cotton wool who dont have any responsibilities and think they answer to no one. They grow up without dicipline and know that no matter what they do there wont be any consequences...

end rant

Have you been reading tabloid newspapers or something?

If there isn't any intent to kill, it's not murder by the very definition of murder. This sounds like a proper application of the principles of justice - if you can't prove that someone was guilty of the crime, they aren't convicted. Murder requires intent. No intent = no murder - attempted or otherwise.

are lower class Irish who obviously do the lower level jobs in Australia

What does this have to do with anything?

are the ones carrying on in Bars and getting into fights and susequently a few are now vegetables and 2 have unfornuatly died.

Yes, terribly unfortunate incidents. Uneducated, lower class Irish backpackers dying as a result of good the good ol' Aussie boys trying to teach them not to "carry on", purchasing pizzas and what not.

What does this have to do with anything?

Yes, terribly unfortunate incidents. Uneducated, lower class Irish backpackers dying as a result of good the good ol' Aussie boys trying to teach them not to "carry on", purchasing pizzas and what not.

bunch of pizza purchasing knackers. Deserve everything they get.

With regard to your first paragraph, I am one of those with the view you state. In my opinion we have become soft on crime, and people are looking to blame everyone but themselves. After bashings we always hear from the perpetrator that it was out of character, the alcohol, drugs whatever was at fault never the individual.

When i talk about fighting which does happen, and always will happen im talking about 2 people going toe to toe, and i dont have a problem with it. Im not talking about a 3 on 1 bashing of an innocent person, of someone hit from behind to make a bunch of weak cowards in their Ed Hardy shirts with stupid rat tails look like heroes. The other thing i cant satand is knives and other weapons, anyone who needs these things isnt tough, they are stupid, weak and a waste of space.

This wasnt a personal attack on anyone in particular I am just sick of excuses and sick of people growing up without respect for authority, the law and for other people. I am a Gen Y and am sick of hearing about young people who have been wrapped in cotton wool who dont have any responsibilities and think they answer to no one. They grow up without dicipline and know that no matter what they do there wont be any consequences...

end rant

My point was that its useless as a society to act tough on crime then go easy on violence and say the law of the jungle. People want the law of the jungle allow a fight or two but when it starts getting a bit bloody they cry foul. If the op for instance is one of those demanding tougher penalties for alcohol fueled violence then he's a hypocrite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back