Is welcome to country a religous ceremoney?

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not the only measure of Aboriginality.
You appear as ignorant as Bolt on this issue.
You just dismissed everything i said, why are they not also embracing the fact that they are almost fully white, this heritage is completely ignored in their rush to identify as aboriginal. It all seems too contrived, is it the benefits of identifying as aboriginal quickening their desire to be seen as such. But lets not dare question their motives, talk about trying to close down any debate on it, as its not to your liking.

They acknowledge the traditional owners at the beginning of the meeting. I don't agree with her personally, but it was an interesting conversation, re the spirituality side of it. It's a shame some in this thread have just used it to have a pop at the black fellas.
Isn't that just an acknowledgement? Welcome to country is more of a ceremony by Aboriginals to new visitors isn't it?

You just dismissed everything i said, why are they not also embracing the fact that they are almost fully white, this heritage is completely ignored in their rush to identify as aboriginal. It all seems too contrived, is it the benefits of identifying as aboriginal quickening their desire to be seen as such. But lets not dare question their motives, talk about trying to close down any debate on it, as its not to your liking.
You would only ask if you were ignorant of the issues.

If someone is raised as an Aborigine and accepted as an Aborigine by the community, why should they reject their families and their upbringing?

As contrived as attempts to "breed out" their aboriginality?

As contrived as attempts to "breed out" their aboriginality?
Different issue totally.
I have he utmost respect for the indigenous population and their sensibilities. I grew up with them, went to school with them, worked with them and employed them....
Anyone who is a regular reader of the SRP board knows my history and position....

Welcome to country is meaningless. It has no basis in tradition.

It is confabulated window dressing.
If I were indigenous I would consider the practise and those who perform it an insult.

This is however only my opinion.

Last edited:
Different issue totally.
I have he utmost respect for the indigenous population and their sensibilities. I grew up with them, went to school with them, worked with them and employed them....
Anyone who is a regular reader of the SRP board knows my history and position....

Welcome to country is meaningless. It has no basis in tradition.

It is confabulated window dressing.
If I were indigenous I would consider the practise and those who perform it an insult.

This is however only my opinion.

actually meant to highlight his bangin' on about "white aboriginals" (which I agree is a totally different issue). My mistake.

Welcome To Country can only be performed by them

It has its place but is too widely employed, mainly by organisations and businesses trying to look PC.

I get it for large events, political, official ceremonies etc, but seriously... I've been to business meetings where they do it... It just seems strange.

That might be the case but I don't mind seeing a bit of coin thrown about to indigenous folk to learn and talk about their culture.

The ones I have heard don't play the guilt trip of injustice but are quite positive, supported by song and interesting.

Tangentially, I saw Barry Humphries show a year or two ago where he welcomed the traditional owners of this land: the Rinehart family. Pisser.

This might be that rarest of occurrences, somebody stealing from Richard Stubbs, rather than the other way round. About six years ago, Stubbs was doing an O.B. on ABC Radio, from Federation Square. He opened the show with, "Firstly, I'd like to acknowledge the traditional owners of this land - the Gas and Fuel Corporation."
This assumes that Barry Humphries would ever listen to Richard Stubbs, which is, admittedly, highly unlikely. That he would find memorable anything Stubbs said is even less likely. I suppose if you open your mouth often and long enough, something intelligible might come out, eventually. Think monkeys/typewriters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might be that rarest of occurrences, somebody stealing from Richard Stubbs, rather than the other way round. About six years ago, Stubbs was doing an O.B. on ABC Radio, from Federation Square. He opened the show with, "Firstly, I'd like to acknowledge the traditional owners of this land - the Gas and Fuel Corporation."
This assumes that Barry Humphries would ever listen to Richard Stubbs, which is, admittedly, highly unlikely. That he would find memorable anything Stubbs said is even less likely. I suppose if you open your mouth often and long enough, something intelligible might come out, eventually. Think monkeys/typewriters.
stubbs has said about three funny things in his life

at the Music industry awards about 15 years back, he said Christina Anu has never looked back since she dropped the s as suffix of her name. I will pay that.

now 774 has all the colour pronouncers, their FM shtick and delivery, has started to filter thru to the journalists. Raf Epstein starts to have a rhythm like Stubbs. IT is like, they all have to dumb down to FM level.

at the Music industry awards about 15 years back, he said Christina Anu has never looked back since she dropped the s as suffix of her name. I will pay that.
Had she dropped the 'ina' while keeping the 's' she could have made it as Andres Serrano's muse.

Hello my name is rdhopkins2 a representative of the Big Footy tribe. I would like to begin by paying my respect to the local Big Footy tribe, the traditional custodians of this land where we are meeting upon today. On behalf of the traditional custodians Big Footy I welcome you all.

On a more serious note, I think it's little more than a marketing gimmick, especially for large events. In my travels it never ceased to amaze me how many people thought we rode kangaroos to school and had spear throwing contests at school etc (ok, mainly in the southern USA). When it's done well and respectfully, fantastic, but generally it appears to be more a PR exercise.

There is no doubt a spiritual aspect to it, but should organisations banish long-standing religious practices on the risk it might offend other people?

There appears to be a trend of cancelling certain activities over fears it "might" offend someone which in many respects seems rather presumptuous, assuming most people are so easily offended. I have yet to hear non-Christians complain about Christmas being celebrated for example (yes I know it is technically a pagan celebration) yet I'd hate to think of schools not celebrating it due to the significance it holds in Western Society.

Personally I think a Welcome to Country does have a spiritual aspect to it but there is also an acknowledgement of poor treatment of traditional custodians of the land so it is bigger than a mere religious custom.
It's all that. It has also become routine and tedious and as such risks losing its impact and significance. Prefer to keep it for special occasions.

Had she dropped the 'ina' while keeping the 's' she could have made it as Andres Serrano's muse.

yes, and been a curator at MONA with Cloaca the dichotomy companion piece to Serrano's Pissed Christ
I found out doing a google image search, it is actually Piss Christ, not Pissed Christ. Lets have another 6 pack of Pabst for Andres shall we?

piss-christ.png

It should be done at every event an mc acknowledges dignitaries in attendance. All events where allegiance is sworn to the queen, like council meetings.

Hello my name is rdhopkins2 a representative of the Big Footy tribe. I would like to begin by paying my respect to the local Big Footy tribe, the traditional custodians of this land where we are meeting upon today. On behalf of the traditional custodians Big Footy I welcome you all.

On a more serious note, I think it's little more than a marketing gimmick, especially for large events. In my travels it never ceased to amaze me how many people thought we rode kangaroos to school and had spear throwing contests at school etc (ok, mainly in the southern USA). When it's done well and respectfully, fantastic, but generally it appears to be more a PR exercise.
if respect stops and ends there, it is not respect and appreciation for the original custodians.

it is acting out a respect. it is looking in the mirror and telling oneself, they are respectful. #FAIL

the respect and appreciation does not begin and end there. Like Rudd's speech.

And you have difficulty, nigh impossible, to shift an entire culture in a few terms of government. Murdoch, he can push and influence. But moving an entire culture? nope. but then again, i aint a sociology101 boffin

. In my travels it never ceased to amaze me how many people thought we rode kangaroos to school and had spear throwing contests at school etc (ok, mainly in the southern USA).
Thats nothing. Go to Russia, they think the american military is the biggest drug trafficker in the world

You would only ask if you were ignorant of the issues.

If someone is raised as an Aborigine and accepted as an Aborigine by the community, why should they reject their families and their upbringing?

Identity politics, generally speaking blows. There are basic levels of tolerance that should be accepted and you accept how people view themselves. But as someone who has detailed knowledge of my heritage and accepts all of it, i think it's pretty import for people who have a diverse ethnic background to acknowledge that diversity.

Identity politics, generally speaking blows. There are basic levels of tolerance that should be accepted and you accept how people view themselves. But as someone who has detailed knowledge of my heritage and accepts all of it, i think it's pretty import for people who have a diverse ethnic background to acknowledge that diversity.
I understand and agree to a point - but nobody is suggesting someone who identifies predominately as Aboriginal completely rejects all other aspects of their ancestry.

e.g. I have some mixed European background but identify as Australian - as I was raised. I'd feel uncomfortable changing the way I view my heritage just to avoid upsetting other people

I understand and agree to a point - but nobody is suggesting someone who identifies predominately as Aboriginal completely rejects all other aspects of their ancestry.

e.g. I have some mixed European background but identify as Australian - as I was raised. I'd feel uncomfortable changing the way I view my heritage just to avoid upsetting other people

My great grandmother was a scandinavian laplander.... which makes me 1/8th Sami.

Would be humorous if I went back to my "homeland" and tried to claim that I was indigenous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back