News Its an Ugly Arm Wrestle and its called Modern Football....

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking into this thread am I right in believing that people are happy to see this rolling maul? It happens in more games than it doesnt. I think its utter BS to be honest, if I wanted to watch the Western Force or Brumbies I would, I also notice the increased use of the "crow throw" these days too, its most commonly used to get the ball out of these rolling mauls .... sounds like Rugby is being played at the G these days, makes me sick. :thumbsdown:

But it did'nt thats the point...Longmire and the Swans held their collective nerve...slowing the game down for a win...

Add a few dubious free kicks awarded to the Bombers by the Umpires and they nearly changed the momentum of the game...i recall two short kicks awarded as marks...that resulted in goals...
It didn't because they had to score over 50 points in the quarter against a good side. Your point is moot considering if they had gone back and kicked the goal instead of playing on you couldn't use that as an argument. The defensive press didn't win that game, a stupid mistake lost it.

It didn't because they had to score over 50 points in the quarter against a good side. Your point is moot considering if they had gone back and kicked the goal instead of playing on you couldn't use that as an argument. The defensive press didn't win that game, a stupid mistake lost it.

Last time i checked the scores for the Swans/Bombers game...the Swans won...feel free to put any spin you want on that result...moot or otherwise...

Last time i checked the scores for the Swans/Bombers game...the Swans won...feel free to put any spin you want on that result...moot or otherwise...
And almost didn't after winning three quarters of footy by a massive margin. Are you even listening to what anyone else has to say or just being argumentative for the sake of it?

And almost didn't after winning three quarters of footy by a massive margin. Are you even listening to what anyone else has to say or just being argumentative for the sake of it?

It seems your the one here that wants to argue the hypotheticals and moot points...

My interest/concern is my opening post...read it...

I agree totally with the OP. Lyon is wrecking the game of football and before him, Roos.
The great attributes of our game, long kicking, high marking, high scoring, courage and skill combined have got nothing to do with Lyon and Roos.
Their mantra is stoppages and playing for stoppages, the more the better. Then we set up at the stoppage, military style and pile in. If we get it we can hack it forward (close to boundary, just in case) or cause another stoppage.
It's ugly, it's boring and it's bringing our game into disrepute.
The experts say that footy is in the entertainment business, well if so, the ratings will go down if this cancer in the game wins out.
The answer, penalise incorrect tackles and incorrect disposal. It's easy.

I agree as well. I can't think of a game I enjoyed watching less than the one on Saturday arvo. I was sitting at the 'G watching stoppage after bloody stoppage with 32 players squeezing themselves into Richmonds forward 50 and I thought "WTF is this, I can't believe I paid to see this s**t". There were 9 goals kicked in the first quarter, and 12 kicked for the rest of the game as Lyon's gameplan gained ascendancy.

Credit to Freo for the win, they were harder at it and Pav was head and shoulders above the rest on the day, but if I never see another game as mucky and scrum-filled as that one ever again it'll be too soon. I feel sorry for the Docker fans that have to watch a game involving a Ross Lyon coached team every week. At least I only have to put up with this s**t twice a year.

Yes credit to the Dockers for the win...and i was there at the 'G' as well...it just seemed to an old fella like myself...and i could be wrong here...{Pedants take note Plz}...that the lenght of time allowed for the stoppages seems to be longer and longer....even in the Bombers/Swans match...and that they are starting to resemble a Rugby Union rolling Maul...

Now i hate stoppages/mauls...thats just a personal issue i have after watching a lot of footy from out of the golden era of...one on one fast flowing high marking footy...for me the 70's/80's...(Pedants take note}...BUT...

My concern is that coaches like Lyons/Longmire who have come from the Paul Roos school of coaching philosophy...for them stoppages are King...that they may see the present loose Umpiring as a license to further increase the lenght and use of the stoppage as a Maul...and refine it further...rolling across the ground from one end to another...

God help us and footy if they do....

The new flavour of the month. Wasnt everyone going on at the start of the year that the game was too fast with so much uncontested footy and teams like Carlton and Essendon, who had spent a whole pre-season gut running were potentially going to endanger their players, and oh my god all the players are going to suffer concussions and collision injuries! Our game will never turn into Rugby, right now as much as people like to point out the similarities it's not even close to Rugby. And that is purely and simply because our game doesnt have the same limitations put upon it (mostly the passing ball forwards and being able to kick it 60m down the field to players in an offside position). Relax! Sit back and enjoy another transition.

I dont care what anybody says, the game is better now than it ever was and nothing has to change, no rules to try and change the tactics of the coaches...Let them do that!! For the people who grew up in past eras....well done, you have nostalgia about what it was like when you were a kid....the same with every single person through history has a warm and fuzzy built up image of what it was like "when they were a kid". The only problem there is...well you are wrong. If some of these so called "greats" played today they would probably just be average players and a lot of guys who were average wouldn't have even got a game for U18s these days. And that is because of the shear number of people playing the game and the extraordinary competition to play league football and the professionalism of the game. I grew up watching 90s footy, which was better than the 80s footy, which was better than the 70s footy etc I just wish we could dress up a 80s game with the same skill set, the same tactics, the same speed, exactly the same now and make everyone watch it. There would be hell to pay because im sorry but that football was pathetic.

It is the best it's ever been now. Let it evolve on its own and stop complaining.

/rant. Sorry if I offended anyone

The new flavour of the month. Wasnt everyone going on at the start of the year that the game was too fast with so much uncontested footy and teams like Carlton and Essendon, who had spent a whole pre-season gut running were potentially going to endanger their players, and oh my god all the players are going to suffer concussions and collision injuries! Our game will never turn into Rugby, right now as much as people like to point out the similarities it's not even close to Rugby. And that is purely and simply because our game doesnt have the same limitations put upon it (mostly the passing ball forwards and being able to kick it 60m down the field to players in an offside position). Relax! Sit back and enjoy another transition.

I dont care what anybody says, the game is better now than it ever was and nothing has to change, no rules to try and change the tactics of the coaches...Let them do that!! For the people who grew up in past eras....well done, you have nostalgia about what it was like when you were a kid....the same with every single person through history has a warm and fuzzy built up image of what it was like "when they were a kid". The only problem there is...well you are wrong. If some of these so called "greats" played today they would probably just be average players and a lot of guys who were average wouldn't have even got a game for U18s these days. And that is because of the shear number of people playing the game and the extraordinary competition to play league football and the professionalism of the game. I grew up watching 90s footy, which was better than the 80s footy, which was better than the 70s footy etc I just wish we could dress up a 80s game with the same skill set, the same tactics, the same speed, exactly the same now and make everyone watch it. There would be hell to pay because im sorry but that football was pathetic.

It is the best it's ever been now. Let it evolve on its own and stop complaining.

/rant. Sorry if I offended anyone
No offence taken at all, and I appreciate your point of view, from a philosophical perspective.

However, when dragged into reality it seems you could not possibly have witnessed the StKilda game followed by the Fremantle game. If you had you could not possibly hold that view.
The OP is based on an alarming trend we are witnessing in the game, brought by Roos and Lyon, deliberately designed to bring it down to a series of rolling stoppages, where field position (like rugby) is paramount.
You might like it but I prefer the spectacular display of skill, athleticism, courage and daring to take risks.

I watched both games. I believe it has more to do with the ground and conditions played in. It's now winter and it's actually raining for once...so the game isnt going to have as much uncontested ball. Big deal, Roos threatened to destroy the game 8 years ago now and nothing has changed negatively. Let Lyon do what he wants, as far as im concerned I had no problem watching the saints over the last 4 years so if Freo become like that I have no drama.

I did some quick stat work, obviously stats have their limitations but here we go;

2011: Average Contested Possession Per Game: 144 Average Uncontested Possession Per Game: 213
2012: Average Contested Possession Per Game: 143 Average Uncontested Possession Per Game: 216
^Per team

If it had turned into lock down game you would assume a reduction in uncontested n a big swing towards contested. I see no such trend.

You could also look at scores;
2011: Average Goals Per Team Per Game: 13
2012: Average Goals Per Team Per Game: 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Back