It's time! or is it?

Remove this Banner Ad

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
"Fyfe capped off a truly tremendous year by winning the prestigious Players’ Award, which is given to the player who was deemed to have best reflected the values set by the playing group at the start of the season."

"I’m an established player. I feel like I can have a real impact and say in the direction of this footy club. Leadership is something I aspire to at this footy club". (Nathan Fyfe, Doig Medal, 2014).

Without knowing the ins and outs and internal politics my personal opinion is that Fyfe should be made captain for 2015 and beyond. Let Pav play down at FF and enjoy the last year(s) of his career without the burden of leadership.

Of course it may be that Pav thrives on leading, he certainly seems to and that he has earned the right to retire from the captaincy when he thinks its the right time. If that is the case then I would like to see Fyfe as VC or at the very least move into the leadership group this year. Fyfe is head and shoulders above the rest as a player, citizen, role model, trainer, work ethic, whatever you like really.

See this interview for his intelligent level headed comments.
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-11-15/2014-doig-medal-winner-

Give him some time in the leadership group first. And Son Son too.

At least into the leadership group
Sandi or Maundy to have it for the next 2 years
Then fyfe

Mundy is too inconsistent to be captain. Sandi would do a good job though.

I reckon Pav will go around once more.

Pav should retain the captaincy until he decides it's time for him to either retire or pass it on to another player. If he gets to the stage where he is struggling to impact games owing to loss of form then the club should be willing to suggest to him a change of captain may be the best move for the club. However I doubt the club would make that call unless the situation was dire as he has been so loyal to the club. If Pav starts 2015 and/or 2016 as Captain he will see the whole year out unless he has a major injury regardless of his form i.e. no change of Captain once the season begins.

I like the fact that Fyfe has the confidence to state he is willing to take on the captaincy and he wants the job at some future time. Not a cocky statement but a pretty down to earth sentiment that can only be good for him and the club. His statement gives him a goal to work towards in as much as he now has to show by his actions on and off the field that he is the next leader of the Dockers. There is little doubt in my mind he has fulfilled almost every criteria that would make him a suitable captain post Pav. Expect a more disciplined Nat Fyfe in 2015 as he works to show he can deal with frustrations he feels at times.

Fyfe's ambition to lead the Dockers is the best news the club will ever get. The best player in the team wants to be captain, he is young and regarded by all as a gun and he has got the runs on the board as far as recognition from his peers, the coaches of the other 17 sides and the umpires as a game winner. He would make a worthy captain and as such it would be near on impossible to pry him away from Freo when he becomes a free agent further down the road. 2017 would be the perfect time to elevate him to the job but if required he could do it well in 2016.

Pav 2015, handing over to Fyfe 2016 - 2024, after which an as yet undrafted superstar will take the reins.

No faffing about with Mundy, Sandi, Barlow or anyone else as 'interim' captain for a season or two - that's just bullshit. Currently Pav is the best man for the job; get Fyfe in the leadership group and he will be the ready made 'best man for the job' in 12 months time.

End of. IMO.

I was saying before the 2014 season that I think Pav stepping aside and Fyfe becoming captain would be a great next step for the leadership of the club. I'm glad it didn't happen in 2014 because those suspensions must've been an eye-opener for Fyfe in terms of his hot-headedness on the field and how he needs to mature & change.

I'd be happy for him to take over Captaincy for the 2015 season with Pav mentoring him along the way. Pav's been amazing for the club but given he's in his twilight years and with the body & goal-kicking issues he's had over the past couple of years he might be ready to hand over some responsibility to focus on his own game.

Fyfe's not only Freos (and the competitions) best player, he's a great public talker, he's intelligent, has footy smarts, and is always looking for ways to improve. He's the perfect option for our next Captain and the more he can learn from Pav before he retires the better.

Pav should retain the captaincy until he decides it's time for him to either retire or pass it on to another player. If he gets to the stage where he is struggling to impact games owing to loss of form then the club should be willing to suggest to him a change of captain may be the best move for the club. However I doubt the club would make that call unless the situation was dire as he has been so loyal to the club. If Pav starts 2015 and/or 2016 as Captain he will see the whole year out unless he has a major injury regardless of his form i.e. no change of Captain once the season begins.

I like the fact that Fyfe has the confidence to state he is willing to take on the captaincy and he wants the job at some future time. Not a cocky statement but a pretty down to earth sentiment that can only be good for him and the club. His statement gives him a goal to work towards in as much as he now has to show by his actions on and off the field that he is the next leader of the Dockers. There is little doubt in my mind he has fulfilled almost every criteria that would make him a suitable captain post Pav. Expect a more disciplined Nat Fyfe in 2015 as he works to show he can deal with frustrations he feels at times.

Fyfe's ambition to lead the Dockers is the best news the club will ever get. The best player in the team wants to be captain, he is young and regarded by all as a gun and he has got the runs on the board as far as recognition from his peers, the coaches of the other 17 sides and the umpires as a game winner. He would make a worthy captain and as such it would be near on impossible to pry him away from Freo when he becomes a free agent further down the road. 2017 would be the perfect time to elevate him to the job but if required he could do it well in 2016.

This.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hoping Pav relinquishes the captaincy for 2015. We all hope he plays like a champion up to and including his last game, but the odds are he will either lose form or fitness or both next year and then we will have a captain not able to lead from the front. He should be big enough to voluntarily hand it over to someone, not sure who though which I guess is the biggest issue. Fyfe may not be ready as some have pointed out.

Pav's still an integral part of the team, still trains exceptionally well, speaks intelligently, and has the respect of everyone at the club. No reason for him relinquishing it in 2015. Fyfe'll be captain one day, Pav's smart enough to know when to let go. Nothing wrong with a young Fyfe just concentrating on himself for another year or two.

Pav 2015, handing over to Fyfe 2016 - 2024, after which an as yet undrafted superstar will take the reins.

No faffing about with Mundy, Sandi, Barlow or anyone else as 'interim' captain for a season or two - that's just bullshit. Currently Pav is the best man for the job; get Fyfe in the leadership group and he will be the ready made 'best man for the job' in 12 months time.

End of. IMO.
Agreed. Certainly not Mundy.

Pretty sure that Ross has said that the captaincy isn't Pav's to do with as he wishes ( I'm sure someone can find footage when this has been discussed previously), although obviously he can decline the role if voted in again.

Fyfe's not only Freos (and the competitions) best player, he's a great public talker, he's intelligent, has footy smarts, and is always looking for ways to improve. He's the perfect option for our next Captain and the more he can learn from Pav before he retires the better.[/QUOTE]

Sums him up to a tee. And by stating he wants to be part of the leadership group he has also sent a strong message that he has team ambitions as well as personal ambition. Get him into the leadership group asap, he is ready made for the captaincy if and when required.

Great to see him simply say I want to be a leader - whilst captains rarely leave clubs (not saying it doesn't happen) but a WA boy who is the captain of his club will not leave in 3 years

Not yet. Wait until he can show show some discipline on the field.

Shows plenty of discipline for most of the time and he is well aware of the need to channel the aggro. Even Pav has had a few suspensions in the past so I wouldn't be holding back on his captaincy just because he shows some mongrel and has overstepped the mark. Might even help him to stay professionally focussed. It won't hurt for him to join the leadership group this year with a view to assuming the captaincy next year. Getting the players award is a great sign. No doubt has the respect of his peers and the staff. Probably a few older citizens that might lay claim to it first but they just need to get over it.

Shows plenty of discipline for most of the time and he is well aware of the need to channel the aggro. Even Pav has had a few suspensions in the past so I wouldn't be holding back on his captaincy just because he shows some mongrel and has overstepped the mark. Might even help him to stay professionally focussed. It won't hurt for him to join the leadership group this year with a view to assuming the captaincy next year. Getting the players award is a great sign. No doubt has the respect of his peers and the staff. Probably a few older citizens that might lay claim to it first but they just need to get over it.
Pav has been suspended for being clumsy, Fyfe still lashes out like a petulant child.

I can't really understand why so many want to ruin him by rushing him into this position too early.

Fyfe still lashes out like a petulant child.

Everyone else would call it a bit of fire in the belly. Haven't heard you say the same about Ballas or Dawson acting like a petulant child.

All these little quips just to gain some attention on a footy forum. I know some people like to be overtly negative just to be in the 'lime light' but you're trying far to hard to provoke. You need to work harder on your trolling skills.

Everyone else would call it a bit of fire in the belly. Haven't heard you say the same about Ballas or Dawson acting like a petulant child.

All these little quips just to gain some attention on a footy forum. I know some people like to be overtly negative just to be in the 'lime light' but you're trying far to hard to provoke. You need to work harder on your trolling skills.
So many flogs who think they know me. Trust me, when I'm trolling, you'll know it.

Ballas and Dawson haven't been put up as potential candidates for Captain.

Walters has to be in the leadership group this season.His work ethic is unquestioned
He was encouraging Moller this morning when Moller was struggling in the shuttle runs.
It showed his commitment to the team and the ethics associated with being a leader
He will give Fyfe a run for the role of future captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back