Opinion Effectiveness of the Board and Executive Leadership

Remove this Banner Ad

May 13, 2007
Radelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Glasgow Warriors
EDIT: updated thread title following parallel discussion in Longmuir Thread.

Original post below (unedited):

This thread is a simple appeal to the club members amongst us.

The anger has not dissipated across the last 24 hours for many of us, and now we have to face work tomorrow! I have silently paid my membership for a very long time, but in my view the time has come for club members to unite, and take a stand. We must let the club know that we will not accept the type of mediocrity thrown up last night. Forget that it was West Coast…consider that we got flogged all over the ground (on our home ground) by last years wooden spooners, who have been subject legitimate discussion about a priority pick.

Something is fundamentally broken at this club, if we all sit back and take it as members we are simply part of the problem. Where is our clubs leadership? Where is the President? Where is the EGM of Football? Why are we left with a bumbling press conference from the coach, and platitudes about sticking together from our ‘captain’? We must demand better. Whilst the club proudly boasts about 55k+ members they throw up a performance like that?

Please take some action. Start by emailing the club with your dissatisfaction. For those of you with connections to board members contact them directly.

Is anyone familiar with the club and/or WAFC constitution? Is it possible to raise a coup on the current board in the same way it’s possible for real clubs like Richmond and Collingwood?

If your response to this is to call me irrational then have at it. If you are satisfied with last nights performance then so be it. I want accountability, I want a clear sign from the club that they are listening and understand that there’s a serious problem here that platitudes about ‘sticking together’ aren’t enough. That game was a disgrace, and heads should roll.

Last edited:
Yeah, nah.

The only action the club will respond to is media pressure, which won't come because the Melbourne Media don't give a s**t about us and The West probably can't at the moment because that will mean they will have to go Simpson as well.

If people stopped paying their memberships then there would be a response but who is doing that?

Yeah, nah.

The only action the club will respond to is media pressure, which won't come because the Melbourne Media don't give a s**t about us and The West probably can't at the moment because that will mean they will have to go Simpson as well.

If people stopped paying their memberships then there would be a response but who is doing that?

This is exactly the attitude I am talking about.

Simpson is doing a cracking job. He has taken all the criticism and come out the other side. He is building a good side. West Coast are demonstrably ahead of us, playing with passion, enthusiasm and freedom. I would love Simpson at our club.

This is exactly the attitude I am talking about.

Simpson is doing a cracking job. He has taken all the criticism and come out the other side. He is building a good side. West Coast are demonstrably ahead of us, playing with passion, enthusiasm and freedom. I would love Simpson at our club.

West Coast are not demonstrably ahead of us. They have yet to hit the bottom.

As terrible as we are right now they aren't even near the bottom.

He is building a good side.

Six of that side were in their last flag inluding 75% of their key talls at each end. Their side is playing better because Elliot Yeo is fit again, they've added a great talent in Reid and their key defenders are fit. They will arguably lose five of their best and most players over the next two years.

They have yet to hit the bottom.

Bingo.

I agree. Apart from Reid obviously and Waterman, their best last night were the older players, Yeo, Gov, Kelly, Duggan. They don't have much between the older guys and Reid.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Six of that side were in their last flag inluding 75% of their key talls at each end. Their side is playing better because Elliot Yeo is fit again, they've added a great talent in Reid and their key defenders are fit. They will arguably lose five of their best and most players over the next two years.

Bingo.
I agree. Apart from Reid obviously and Waterman, their best last night were the older players, Yeo, Gov, Kelly, Duggan. They don't have much between the older guys and Reid.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember people saying exactly the same things in 2016. They went on to win another flag whilst we went on to achieving nothing.

I am reconsidering renewing membership . Currently a member of both men’s and women’s teams
Agree as a member from day one for the first time iam seriousily having the same thouughts , how long can the club continue in making poor choices with coaches and giving players like JOM 4 yrs (before that it was Colyer but happy to under value Griff and Acres to save a few dollars)
For instance Garlick as CEO got any real substance or just a Victorian puppet trying to get a higher job at AFL HQ (always says the right sounding things but end of the day doesnt want to rock the boat)
End of the day at this rate he will eventually go back to Victoria without achieving anything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is a simple appeal to the club members amongst us.

The anger has not dissipated across the last 24 hours for many of us, and now we have to face work tomorrow! I have silently paid my membership for a very long time, but in my view the time has come for club members to unite, and take a stand. We must let the club know that we will not accept the type of mediocrity thrown up last night. Forget that it was West Coast…consider that we got flogged all over the ground (on our home ground) by last years wooden spooners, who have been subject legitimate discussion about a priority pick.

Something is fundamentally broken at this club, if we all sit back and take it as members we are simply part of the problem. Where is our clubs leadership? Where is the President? Where is the EGM of Football? Why are we left with a bumbling press conference from the coach, and platitudes about sticking together from our ‘captain’? We must demand better. Whilst the club proudly boasts about 55k+ members they throw up a performance like that?

Please take some action. Start by emailing the club with your dissatisfaction. For those of you with connections to board members contact them directly.

Is anyone familiar with the club and/or WAFC constitution? Is it possible to raise a coup on the current board in the same way it’s possible for real clubs like Richmond and Collingwood?

If your response to this is to call me irrational then have at it. If you are satisfied with last nights performance then so be it. I want accountability, I want a clear sign from the club that they are listening and understand that there’s a serious problem here that platitudes about ‘sticking together’ aren’t enough. That game was a disgrace, and heads should roll.

I'm as disappointed as anyone, and don't think JLo is the man for the job. But I think it's a bit of an over reaction after 1 result. Two heart breaking losses in a row, 8 days on the road, Darcy back in after an extended break, Luke Ryan playing his worst ever game for the club....etc etc. Hold your horses, lets see where we're at after 10 games.

Will give the club a mulligan on yesterday but changes need to be made Thursday night and we need to play a lot better against the Dogs who beat us convincingly at Optus last year.

So many full of P&W. All bluff and bluster.
How many of you are actually going to take time to call the club or write an email to spew your venom.
I will tell not one.
And in case you wonder, P&W stands for piss and wind.

I have already emailed the club and, separately messaged 4 current board members.

You can think what you want.

Embarrasing thread, they played well and we played like s**t, wiggles are still bottom 4 quality

No. They were wooden spooners last year and being considered for a priority pick. They comprehensively beat us all over the ground at the contest. The only embarrassing thing is people continually making excuses for this broken club.

I do wonder why I bother with paying my membership anyone. I don't get enjoyment out of this team so why do I pay for this s**t? I won't be wasting next weekend. Even if we do win I won't regret not wasting another weekend on giving my attention away to this s**t

No. They were wooden spooners last year and being considered for a priority pick. They comprehensively beat us all over the ground at the contest. The only embarrassing thing is people continually making excuses for this broken club.

Ring em Monday and cancel membership mate…really show them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back