Universal Love Tenth Anniversary of The Miracle In Geevegas

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all,

Today is the 10th anniversary of arguably the greatest victory in the history of the Fremantle Football Club - the second qualifying final in 2013 where we were sent to play Geelong in Geelong and won despite the odds (and against the wishes of the AFL). Thought I'd share my experience of the day, and provide an opportunity for you to do the same.

I was fortunate enough to be there that day. I went with a Carlton supporting friend and a four-pack of Sail & Anchor Cat's Shank Kolsch, which was consumed on the V-Line train from Melbourne and the walk through Kardinia Park.

cats shank.jpg

Before the game we went to the clubrooms of St Mary's FC which is right next to GMHBA Stadium (or Simonds as it was then). The locals there opened their bar and put on a sausage sizzle, and were generally friendly. Probably out of pity for us but we took it.

Getting to the game itself, we sat a block behind the Freo cheer squad (before I had met you Seppo ) at the eastern end of the ground. Things were looking shady early doors but history shows that we ended up prevailing 12.15 (87) to 9.18 (72). The onfield stuff was a bit of a blur there was so much going on, but one incident stood out for me - late in the last quarter Geelong kicked into their forward line and one of their players was in prime position to take a mark which would have given him a shot a goal, but Super Matthew Pavlich came flying from out of nowhere and fisted the ball away to the boundary line. A few minutes after that Stephen Hill kicked that famous sealer, and I officially lost my sh*t.

Here's some highlights in case you've been living under a rock (a K-Rock):

Back to St Mary's after that before catching the nighttrain back to Melbourne, singing "We all dream of a team of Ballantynes" the whole way back.

What a day!

So happy Winning the Final in Geelong Day to all who celebrate and observe! Please join me in raising a glass and reminiscing about one of the greatest moments in our history.

Man do I miss some of those names. Prime Hill, Fyfe, old man Pav, Sandi and McPharlin :'(
Chooper Mayne when he didn't have the yips. Mick Barlow. Clakkas. Lee Spurr. LEE SPURR!

I dislike how my body reacts when Basil Zempilas says "to send them into a home preliminary final".

Steve Johnson was right that Mayne wouldn't play the next weekend after the rib tickler, but not for the reason he thought!
I prefer the Triple M commentary weirdly. Brayshaw's "THEIR FANS ARE GOING ABSOLUTELY BLOODY NUTS!!!" was a pretty accurate description.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game is pretty much my highlight as a Freo supporter. I can't watch these highlights enough times really.
For some unknown reason my favourite match is the Elimination Final the year before. It never seems to come up on replays but the picture in my mind of all the Geelong players coming together at quarter time and arguing with each other makes me very happy.

It is funny how we have such a good record against Geelong over such a long period.

It was a game like no other and imprinted on our minds forever.

The moment Sandi tapped the ball to Stephen coming off the inter change bench and watching him run like the clappers to kick the goal sent shivers down my spine.

And let’s not forget the almost full page cartoon by Alston (I think it was him) in the paper the next day. It depicted the dejected Geelong supporters accompanied by Demetriou all walking along crying their eyes out and carrying tissues of course. In the middle of them was a larger than life Sandilands sitting on a cart being pulled along.

It was a classic!!

Last edited:
For some unknown reason my favourite match is the Elimination Final the year before. It never seems to come up on replays but the picture in my mind of all the Geelong players coming together at quarter time and arguing with each other makes me very happy.

It is funny how we have such a good record against Geelong over such a long period.
The utter joy in watching all those entitled Geelong players all pointing in different directions and yelling at each other immediately after the quarter time siren will live with me always.
These always an old post to cover everything

And any excuse to post my favourite Freo goal:

And any excuse to post my favourite Freo goal:

This a close second imo, and it also has its own story for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back