Universal Love Tenth Anniversary of The Miracle In Geevegas

Remove this Banner Ad

Pav was amazing in that match.

Pav had an excellent record in finals that people seem to forget. That day he was on fire. I’d have it as one of the top 5 finals performances I’ve seen from ANY forward.

Got us off to a flier. Every time we were challenged he would bob up and kick a goal. Kicks the sealer on one leg.

If reiwoldt had a game like they would have renamed the sport reiwoldt-ball.

What a day that was I spent all week hoping of an ambush and believing it was possible but still had to see it.

Sending us down to Geelong I think only steeled the side even more with a siege mentality.

Ross was the perfect coach for that I reckon to help galvanise the side under adversity.

It was incredible that we entered into territory we never been before a home preliminary final.

It felt surreal I just wanted the preliminary final played straight away the adrenalin was pumping so much.

I reckon I had 20 drinks that night at a house birthday party just celebrating what a win.

For some unknown reason my favourite match is the Elimination Final the year before. It never seems to come up on replays but the picture in my mind of all the Geelong players coming together at quarter time and arguing with each other makes me very happy.

It is funny how we have such a good record against Geelong over such a long period.
Ask (implicitly) and yea shall receive! I should have pulled this bit out and put it up years ago:

I cant believe he hit one from 45 out, guy struggle from 30m most of the time, even in his accurate years
He kicked one from 50m in the Grand Final too.

Actually, I think that QF game vs Geelong at Geelong is one of the first signs of a crack in Mayne's ice cold temperament . He has a shot after the siren...i thought it was half-time, it looks like from the records it was quarter time, and the commentators are pointing out his reliable routine and stats on set shots and yikes he misses it. He was on 35:9 up to that point and finishes the 2013 season on 37:12. (2:3 in the 2013 finals). This is following on from 39:7 in the 2012 season.

Last edited:
Thank you. I was there too in the 2nd tier when hill was running towards our goal. Still my greatest ever moment as a freo fan for sure.

All the emotion from when that git Demetriou changed our game from MCG to kardinya park, i had a return ticket to Melbourne from Perth but no game ticket and fearing id miss one from the 28k venue. Thanks to this forum some1 gave me their membership code and had my 1 ticket.

Thank you

Last edited:
Does Sandi ever say that he knew what he was doing there?

The edited clip makes it look like it could be from a ruck tap but (as Brayshaw's commentary says) it's a marking contest, from a long kick down the line from the back pocket by Tendai.

At the beginning of the AFL/Ch 7 clip you can see Lachie Neale running to the interchange before Sandi contests it. Looks like he just wants to swing his fist at it and thump it to the boundary, but being up at 211cm's maybe he had a wider peripheral vision, even under the protective head gear he was wearing.

Last edited:
Was driving down to Bunbury, and I left home going into the 4th. Had the radio on, but had to switch off halfway as I was so tense. So hubby was checking scores online periodically. Turned it back on when the lead was steady towards the last few minutes - and nearly swerved off the road when Hill kicked the goal to seal it.

This club, I swear, will kill me one day. 😂 Still remains one of my best freo memories.

ps. Loved the post match press conference with Ross absolutely skewering Shane whoever in that pathetic dressing room they put us in.

Was driving down to Bunbury, and I left home going into the 4th. Had the radio on, but had to switch off halfway as I was so tense. So hubby was checking scores online periodically. Turned it back on when the lead was steady towards the last few minutes - and nearly swerved off the road when Hill kicked the goal to seal it.

This club, I swear, will kill me one day. 😂 Still remains one of my best freo memories.

ps. Loved the post match press conference with Ross absolutely skewering Shane whoever in that pathetic dressing room they put us in.
That last quarter was intense.

Geelong has most of the I50s.

But never got a mark inside 50 from memory.

I recall Spurr going back with the flight on 1 occasion and taking a mark.

Pav got down the other end and spoiled a mark in D50.

Sandi was taking intercepts mark in back half.

We just withstood everything they through at us.

Nek minnit

Fun fact: I created a shooping award over on the SFA board in honour of Ross lookalike TheInjuryFactory and named the award after Shane McInnes. He's truly in the pantheon of Great Freo Memes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unrelated to the topic of that Geelong game but there was another press conference gem but by Connolly when he said to Digby Beacham “what’s the matter Beacham? Am I ******* boring ya?” (Digby was apparently yawning during press conference)
That was funny af, I just can’t find a video anywhere

I dislike how my body reacts when Basil Zempilas says "to send them into a home preliminary final".

Steve Johnson was right that Mayne wouldn't play the next weekend after the rib tickler, but not for the reason he thought!
It was almost like the prick was saying it though gritted teeth, as if he meant “WTF are freo doing in a prelim final, they are a little club of also rans, and don’t ever forget that freo fans”

An Absolute w***er

how ******* good was pav to end that year, was on an absolute tear
He kicked 11.8 to end of round 9, including 0 in 8 and 9. One of which was the famous occasion he could be seen arguing with RTB on the phone* from the bench during the Hawthorn game at Launceston.
Last 13 games; 58.24. Freak. Take out the semi which he shouldn't have played as hurt his Achilles in the elimination final: 57.24 in 12 games.

*I always figured it was about Pav pushing himself into the midfield.
RTB 'Sir I request you confine you activies to the previously canvassed attacking zones' (sic).
Pav: 'I feel I should be able to excersize my best judgement and still comply with your respectful leadership and authority.'
(sic).

He kicked 11.8 to end of round 9, including 0 in 8 and 9. One of which was the famous occasion he could be seen arguing with RTB on the phone* from the bench during the Hawthorn game at Launceston.
Last 13 games; 58.24. Freak. Take out the semi which he shouldn't have played as hurt his Achilles in the elimination final: 57.24 in 12 games.

*I always figured it was about Pav pushing himself into the midfield.
RTB 'Sir I request you confine you activies to the previously canvassed attacking zones' (sic).
Pav: 'I feel I should be able to excersize my best judgement and still comply with your respectful leadership and authority.'
(sic).
just went and checked pavs stat throughout his career, i am too young to really have been able to appreciate what he was doing for us. went from kicking 3.5 goals a game one year to going at 24 touches and a goal a game the next year

just ******* ridiculous how good he was in any and all positions

2013 was our first year living in Melbourne.
Junior had recently turned 13 and we went to the game, along with one of my mates who played junior footy for Ardross. I was a Willetton boy.
We were on the opposite side to where Hilly burst from the boundary & I remember Lee Spurr getting my vote for B.O.G.
What a day!!!!!
Best V-Line journey home EVER!
My mate sent me a happy anniversary pick yesterday.
I bloody love Freo!!!!!

I don't post here often (if at all) but this took me back. Back to a time when I still didn't post much, had a different user name and a forgotten password and access to the email that it was all linked to.

I posted about that weekend here

Long story short; I had tickets to the game, I had 4 weeks of leave booked but work intervened and I ended up giving the tickets away to a mother and a young boy with cancer who had booked accommodation but missed out getting tickets. On the plus side for me i was back in Perth for the Sydney game which was pretty bloody special. In compensation for trashing my holiday I screwed the company into sending me and my missus to the Grand Final. The Geevegas game would have been better, but beggars can't be choosers.

Does Sandi ever say that he knew what he was doing there?

The edited clip makes it look like it could be from a ruck tap but (as Brayshaw's commentary says) it's a marking contest, from a long kick down the line from the back pocket by Tendai.

At the beginning of the AFL/Ch 7 clip you can see Lachie Neale running to the interchange before Sandi contests it. Looks like he just wants to swing his fist at it and thump it to the boundary, but being up at 211cm's maybe he had a wider peripheral vision, even under the protective head gear he was wearing.
Almost seems wrong to say, but I've seen interviews where Sandi confessed he was just going for the boundary.

Almost seems wrong to say, but I've seen interviews where Sandi confessed he was just going for the boundary.
Yeah he said this straight after the game. Was just trying to burn time. Who cares though, all the most iconic moments have an element of luck to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back