Universal Love Tenth Anniversary of The Miracle In Geevegas

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to look back at the sliding door moments that was that Stephen Hill goal.

• Tommy Sheridan running with his hands raised but not really shepherding or helping Hill. Come on Tommy.
  • Fyfe attempting to shepherd for Hilly and completely missing the opponent, then giving up and heading to the bench.
  • The geelong defender, who did not either man up Tommy or even run towards Hill, but just ran aimlessly back towards his defensive 50. What the hell was he doing?
  • Basically there was only 1 Geelong player who chased Hill - the rest just gave up.

Interesting to look back at the sliding door moments that was that Stephen Hill goal.

• Tommy Sheridan running with his hands raised but not really shepherding or helping Hill. Come on Tommy.
  • Fyfe attempting to shepherd for Hilly and completely missing the opponent, then giving up and heading to the bench.
  • The geelong defender, who did not either man up Tommy or even run towards Hill, but just ran aimlessly back towards his defensive 50. What the hell was he doing?
  • Basically there was only 1 Geelong player who chased Hill - the rest just gave up.
An example how the individually correct decision can be the wrong one at a group level. None of them where ever going to catch him, but if they'd all tried they might have at least forced him to pass or have a harder shot.

I prefer the Triple M commentary weirdly. Brayshaw's "THEIR FANS ARE GOING ABSOLUTELY BLOODY NUTS!!!" was a pretty accurate description.

If you watch the replay the noise when Hilly slots it is astonishing. Its half like its a home crowd but surely there weren't more than 1500 Freo supporters there? Maybe I'm reading too much into it but the juxtaposition of the still, stony faced, Geelong supporters actually in shot and the rising crescendo of roaring joy from the Freo fans is almost artistic (it's certainly satisfying anyway).

Can we have peak Pav, Fyfe and Shill back?
Feel like no one really talks about Barlow.
Sure you have 2010 Barlow as career best, but that day. His best ever tbh. He has Fyfe and Mundy as the prime stars but gee he was GOATed that day. 28 disposals, 3 goals- at pivotal moments too.

Have mixed emotions about this.
Absolute highlight of being a Fremantle supporter that day. Just perfect the whole game. Galvanised.

The pessimistic me though. Even since then, didn’t really do anything with the group we had after 2013 and 2015 was the last time in finals until 2022.

Haven’t been a great 10 years since have to say.

Definitely the greatest game. I still have the photo of Hill walking off the ground in my avatar pic.

I watched it alone, I couldn’t stand the idea of having to talk to anyone while it was on. I sat on the floor with a guitar in my hand as a fidget toy. Watching Hill run towards goal I felt like I was levitating or something. I can still remember in slow almost stop frame motion.

The following week was insane too. The feeling coming home on the train & walking through the streets. It was like NYE or the Americas Cup. Like one great big party had taken over the town.

It felt like destiny. When we drafted Hill I nicknamed him the Golden Child & felt sure we would win the flag with him & Pav. When he kicked that goal it was like what he was born to do. I still get confused with how we didn’t win it all.
It really did feel like the AFL had it in for us after foiling their plans to get rid of us by sending us to Geelong. The way that first umpire paid 50 on McPharlin, Rioli got gifted a goal from a reportable tackle. There were other moments.
If only Fyfe had kicked straight those first 2. I still say his goal kicking never recovered from that. He talked about wanting to walk away from the game in the offseason.

Anyway, history now.

Must recount my tales of the day as I consider myself apart of the lucky couple thousand fans who got to be there live.
A friend and I had booked a finals weekend well in advance thinking Freo would be playing one of the MCG tenants, of course we know how that turned out. Had a couple of lady friends who we had travelled Europe with put us up for the weekend who had no interest in footy but at the time were happy to have just a big weekend and join us for the games.

Went to Sydney v Hawks at the G which was quite a dull game, followed up the next day and saw an absolute Chris Judd clinic with 95k at the G Carlton v Tigers which was a true experience. After having barely slept after 'revolving' through Melbourne (iykyk) we were on the train down to Geelong, there was a good amount of freo fans on the train all talking about why we were sent down to the tiny stadium which got us all adequately pumped to get Freo over the line.

Being our early 20's we were saving money where we could so we smuggled in the ground with us our powerade/vodka mixed drinks 🤮 and found our way to our seats at the non-tiered end in a sea of cats supporters. Quite glad we mixed those drinks 50/50 because without it we would not of have the confidence to be yelling and cheering in the middle of a cats supporter block.

Best moment of that match for me was not even the beautiful Hill goal, it was the Pavlich back with the flight spoil in that last quarter with 5:30 minutes to go. I have gone back and found myself in the background of the footage going absolutely bonkers when he ran back and won the 2 on 1 with the purest fist. That is the match winning moment for me, our key forward absolute beast of a man, just taking responsibility when he was completely out of gas too. Shivers every time just thinking about it.

When the siren went we couldn't believe it, me and my friend both immediately started looking for flights for the grand final as we knew Sydney had no hope. Getting on the ground afterwards, pissed as anything, kicking the footy around with some docker fans just lapping it all up was truly beautiful, one of my all time life memories.

Must recount my tales of the day as I consider myself apart of the lucky couple thousand fans who got to be there live.
A friend and I had booked a finals weekend well in advance thinking Freo would be playing one of the MCG tenants, of course we know how that turned out. Had a couple of lady friends who we had travelled Europe with put us up for the weekend who had no interest in footy but at the time were happy to have just a big weekend and join us for the games.

Went to Sydney v Hawks at the G which was quite a dull game, followed up the next day and saw an absolute Chris Judd clinic with 95k at the G Carlton v Tigers which was a true experience. After having barely slept after 'revolving' through Melbourne (iykyk) we were on the train down to Geelong, there was a good amount of freo fans on the train all talking about why we were sent down to the tiny stadium which got us all adequately pumped to get Freo over the line.

Being our early 20's we were saving money where we could so we smuggled in the ground with us our powerade/vodka mixed drinks 🤮 and found our way to our seats at the non-tiered end in a sea of cats supporters. Quite glad we mixed those drinks 50/50 because without it we would not of have the confidence to be yelling and cheering in the middle of a cats supporter block.

Best moment of that match for me was not even the beautiful Hill goal, it was the Pavlich back with the flight spoil in that last quarter with 5:30 minutes to go. I have gone back and found myself in the background of the footage going absolutely bonkers when he ran back and won the 2 on 1 with the purest fist. That is the match winning moment for me, our key forward absolute beast of a man, just taking responsibility when he was completely out of gas too. Shivers every time just thinking about it.

When the siren went we couldn't believe it, me and my friend both immediately started looking for flights for the grand final as we knew Sydney had no hope. Getting on the ground afterwards, pissed as anything, kicking the footy around with some docker fans just lapping it all up was truly beautiful, one of my all time life memories.
The most impressive part about all this is you not only survived Revolver and lived to tell the tale, but you backed it up to cheer the boys on afterwards!
Revolver was truly for the strong-hearted (and jaw swinging) bunch.

We may well have bumped into each other that day!!

fe76a92f-533a-4cf4-81cc-7d49a1c70454_text.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back