Jack Steven vs Rory Sloane

Who do you take?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice edit job

Yep, mathematics fail on my part.

Answer my question. Does it concern you st kilda' two best midfielders are top 10 in the league for clangers. And one of those, Jack Steven, is a run and carry player who usually has more space than a pure inside mid?

Nice edit job

And sure it's a gap, about 1 more Clanger a game.

But if we looks at the stats here:

View attachment 210828

There seems to exceptional gaps between Steven & Sloane. Huge numbers in fact.

s**t. Look how much more uncontested ball Steven gets. Why does he turn it over so much more?

I think it's safe to say neither of them were at their absolute best last season (especially Sloane) and while some may be surprised to hear me say that about Steven, a quick look at his stats compared to his first B&F season, in 2013, shows that he was quite a lot more damaging in 2013, even though he was only 23yo at the time.

I was obviously a big wrap for him last offseason, but at the same time, I didn't have very high expectations of him for the 2015 season, as I was told that he hadn't even started running as of early January (coming off those leg injuries and broken foot he had in 2014) and as such I doubted that he'd be able to get to his very best, if he only did a fraction of the preseason.

As it turned out, he was solid and consistent, but I didn't feel like he really hit the same heights that he did in 2013 (mostly I didn't think he broke the lines as much and I didn't think his kicking was anywhere near as damaging) and a look at the stats pretty much backed up my thoughts on his year completely.

He played 22 games in both years and had the exact same number of disposals in each of them, but he had 51 running bounces in '13 to just 20 last year, kicked 16 goals in '13 to 9 last year, had 59 clangers in '13 to 79 last year, had 44 more contested possies and 20% more clearances in '13 and went at 3% better disposal efficiency that year. So in 2013 he was winning more of it on the inside, carrying it better on the outside, using it a lot better by foot (which was obvious from watching him)- despite winning more of it on the inside- and hitting the scoreboard more.

I'd suggest all this is as a result of the lack of a full preseason leaving him without the energy to run and carry as much last year and leaving him more tired by the time it came to kicking the ball, resulting in more poor kicks and missed goals. The only thing that was noticeably better last year was a huge increase in tackles, which is a much bigger focus for Richardson than it was for Watters (who coached us in 2013).

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...42&type=T&fid1=P&fopt1=2013&fid2=P&fopt2=2015

It seems as though he's done a full preseason this year though, so I'm very bullish that he could take it up a notch or two in 2016 and combine the consistency and tackling of last year, with the more attacking/damaging heights of the 2013 season (or better). Expecting Sloane to be a lot better this year if he's had a full preseason and has an injury-free go at it, too, as he was certainly injury affected last year.

I think those who don't follow us will get a much better appreciation of Steven once they see him playing in bigger games and in particular finals. Once he starts burning down the wings and leaving those chasing him in his wake in finals and so-on he's going to get a lot more attention.

Last edited:
It's actually quite damning just how many times Steven turns the ball over for a run and carry midfielder. Sure he can damage opponents but he damaged his team almost as much. Most of the other players leading in that stat are your pure inside mids who you can understand why they have such a high count. There are outliers of course.

In the tradition of bringing in Josh Bruce in a Tom Boyd v Peter Wright comparison .......

is Bontempelli this years outlier ?

26 less clearances, 80 less touches & more clangers per possession than Steven

It would be a rort if Jack Steven doesn't make AA this year. Absolute gun. Rory Sloane gets the media love but Stevo is just as good. Maybe not as hard, but he's got an extra gear of pace. Both got huge tanks. One of the better comparison threads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sloane marginally, just a tiny bit classier.
Steven provides slightly more grunt which is probably better suited to St Kilda's younger midfield anyway. AA lock.

jacky boy has been underrated by virtue of being the best player in a s**t team that no one cared about for 3 years. The fact that we are good again and hes gotten even better is testament to how good he is. 2nd picked AA mid behind danger for sure. Sloane is having a great year and I'd love to have him down at the Saints. I'd be happy with either but my pick is Jack.

Back