Toast Jake Kolodjashnij- CONFIRMED SIGNED 2 YEARS

Remove this Banner Ad

Kolo did himself no harm today. I was elevated in the stands and could see his movements around the back line. He tracked the flight of the ball well and seems very adept at executing the HT -esq spoil at the highest point.

He did go to ground a few times too easily and needs to learn that he need not fly at every contest when HT and Domsy both elevate as well. A few times we had no ground support when all 3 flew but in saying that im being overly critical on a 1 game player.

His skills looked very solid and I have no doubt that he will keep getting games over the duration of the year. One that I would vey much like to keep at the Cattery.

GO Catters

The lad gave himself a taste not sure he did enough to keep his spot in 2 weeks time, but confident if any key back goes down he can step up, still needs to learn the craft a little...

The lad gave himself a taste not sure he did enough to keep his spot in 2 weeks time, but confident if any key back goes down he can step up, still needs to learn the craft a little...

he's better suited to playing on the big guys. He often intercepts marks and creates attacking plays for the team when he does so. Playing on the smaller nimble types, it kind of robs him from having to express himself somewhat.
I hope he gets the job on a key forward next week. I think that will highlight some of his strengths and why he's going to be an absolute beauty :thumbsu:

Kolo did himself no harm today. I was elevated in the stands and could see his movements around the back line. He tracked the flight of the ball well and seems very adept at executing the HT -esq spoil at the highest point.

He did go to ground a few times too easily and needs to learn that he need not fly at every contest when HT and Domsy both elevate as well. A few times we had no ground support when all 3 flew but in saying that im being overly critical on a 1 game player.

His skills looked very solid and I have no doubt that he will keep getting games over the duration of the year. One that I would vey much like to keep at the Cattery.

GO Catters
Good to hear- thanks, Daz.

It was mentioned by a fair few posters, H29, in this thread, the review thread and the Scott Coaching thread, so there seems to be some sort of agreement there.

I should read before posting. Haha!

I am probably about to repeat some more stuff that has been previously posted - Howe had 4 possessions and 3 marks. If Kolo's primary job as a backman was to beat Howe, then he was probably in our best 5 players on the day. Pretty good debut if you ask me.

I should read before posting. Haha!

I am probably about to repeat some more stuff that has been previously posted - Howe had 4 possessions and 3 marks. If Kolo's primary job as a backman was to beat Howe, then he was probably in our best 5 players on the day. Pretty good debut if you ask me.
Ah, there would be a hundred pages to search through. If you try searching "Howe" on this board, you will find all the comments. I can link some if you want but the comments are pretty much along the lines of your thoughts above- he kept Howe quiet.

Thought Jake played well!
Held Howe to not many touches, couple goals against him is disappointing but it doesn't matter it's just the experience of playing in an AFL game.
When he gets more confident he will leave his man a bit more to take intercept marks but at the moment I'm fine with him doing a Bews-like job just shutting down his opponent without getting much of the ball himself until he gains confidence.
Has to play the next 2 games at least & I'm hoping 4+ weeks.

Thought Jake played well!
Held Howe to not many touches, couple goals against him is disappointing but it doesn't matter it's just the experience of playing in an AFL game.
When he gets more confident he will leave his man a bit more to take intercept marks but at the moment I'm fine with him doing a Bews-like job just shutting down his opponent without getting much of the ball himself until he gains confidence.
Has to play the next 2 games at least & I'm hoping 4+ weeks.

Are you sure Kolo was on Howe when he kicked those goals?
Haven't been able to watch much but did see the last half on replay and I thought Howe was manned by others when he goaled.

Are you sure Kolo was on Howe when he kicked those goals?
Haven't been able to watch much but did see the last half on replay and I thought Howe was manned by others when he goaled.

Oh perhaps he was I just know Kolo was on pretty much on Howe in first half so I just assumed he was when Howe goaled.
If Kolo wasn't on him when he goaled that's even better :)

Kolo was on whoever took that great mark and goal from the pocket in the last qtr. Was a great mark because Kolo got a fair bit of it. Was that Howe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played well I thought. Kept Howe to 4 touches but he did kick a couple of goals though. Will he be a 150 games player for Geelong? Who knows yet. But what I do know is that with the position we are at right now, he should play the rest of the season in the seniors so we give him and us a chance to find out.
I thought Kolo executed a few terrific, hard tackles. + more importantly, he is fantastic eye candy ;)

I know this is about JK, however, I couldn't help but notice that Howe tried to take a hangar nearly everytime he went near the pill. Not sure he worked out early we were a tad vunerable but seriously about 4-5 early marking contests he nearly grabbed it. Doesn't mind the old hands on the shoulders either.

Played well as others have said, as a defender coming into the side his first objective is going to be to defend but as seen at vfl level he will add an attacking element to his game in time.
Can't help but think if we'd held onto Hamling we'd have a perfect balance to transition experienced greats with the new generation. Oh well can't live in the past lets hope we can hold into to Kolo because he does look the goods and a lot better than Hamling.
The cupboard as far as depth goes isn't very full but the items in there look to be capable of being top shelf or at least close to.

Along with Thurlow we have a couple of young guys with sweet kicks.

I'd look at moving Darcy Lang onto the half back flank at some point. Could really use his smarts to leave his man and do what Enright does, shift through the midfield to give us some attacking presence.
Darcy is a wonderful defensive minded player and his skills are absolutely sublime. Left/right footed and takes a mark too. Could seriously be a wonderful tri he, Thurlow and Kolodjashnij.

Maybe 2016 we see a bit more of that.

Along with Thurlow we have a couple of young guys with sweet kicks.
Add Gregson to that list too, placed a few kicks straight into the arms of our Cats, which didn't happen enough on Sunday.

Scarlett was on the radio on my drive down to the game on Sunday (can't remember which station - I was flicking). They said to him you picked Jake Stringer ad the next big thing at the Bulldogs, who's your tip at Geelong? Without hesitation he said Kolo. "He's going to be a star."

Gold Coast were supposed to be taking Kolo in the draft (partly to keep the brother happy) but they passed and passed until Geelong took him. Hopefully he remembers that now they sniffing around.

Geelong had Blicavs earmarked for a defence position, perhaps Toohey as an option too. Both gone now. Geelong can't really afford to lose him, so I expect many a game to be given in the second half of the year.

Scarlett was on the radio on my drive down to the game on Sunday (can't remember which station - I was flicking). They said to him you picked Jake Stringer ad the next big thing at the Bulldogs, who's your tip at Geelong? Without hesitation he said Kolo. "He's going to be a star."
Yeah I heard that too.

We need to circle the wagons around him and get him signed again.

Regardless of talent level, we can't afford another Hamling situation ( pumping years into a guy to have him leave/lose him/cut him.

Clearly Kolo and Toohey were the keeps and Hammer was ejected one so to lose a keeper now would be a large set back.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back