AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
How to they rank compared to each?

What are the differences between them?

Who is better now?

Who has the higher ceiling?

I dont know a lot about each of these players, But I would suggest that Lever having missed the season would be last, Marchbank has only recently been considered a high pick, whereas Durdin was considered a top 3 pick earlier in the season, is 4cm taller than the other two, and can play at each end of the ground. No contest. Durdin should be considered first.

A bit hard to say with Lever out for the season, but if I could draft any of them I would rather have Lever, then Durdin, then daylight and nightlight, followed by Marchbank, who I rate outside the top 20.

Marchbank and Lever in particular are quite similar as players. Both elite marks in the back half and are similar sizes at half-back. Both are great at working off their opponent to take a strong overhead mark in front of another forward. Sam Durdin I see as more of a tall flanker who will rotate forward. He too is a very strong mark, but I haven't seen him produce the goods consistently.

Right now, Marchbank is probably the best as Lever is injured, and Durdin is a project player. As for the highest ceiling, Durdin would, closely followed by Lever, then Marchbank. Jake is a future captain of a football club and a back-line leader. I think Durdin is the safest bet to realise his potential.

I'd say Durdin and Lever are very close to each other (both top 6 or 7) and Marchbank is borderline 1st round.

I get the feeling Durdin will eventually be the better player but it'll only happen if he's at the right club, a club that isn't in desperate need of his type right now, he's still got some developing to do. Personally I would be tempted to take Lever earlier than Durdin purely on his dedication and leadership abilities, it's close but I think it tips the scales his way. I'm not so keen on Marchbank but he has some pretty bankable attributes.

I'd say Durdin and Lever are very close to each other (both top 6 or 7) and Marchbank is borderline 1st round.

I get the feeling Durdin will eventually be the better player but it'll only happen if he's at the right club, a club that isn't in desperate need of his type right now, he's still got some developing to do. Personally I would be tempted to take Lever earlier than Durdin purely on his dedication and leadership abilities, it's close but I think it tips the scales his way. I'm not so keen on Marchbank but he has some pretty bankable attributes.

Lever is a chance to slide after his injury concerns. Could be a big win for a team that finishes around 6th!!

Think Rahul's got it pretty much nailed on.

If all reach their ceiling I'd go Durdin > Lever >> Marchbank on a traditional value system (though I'd still prefer Lever as I really, really 'over'rate the intercept KPD compared to most). While Durdin won't ever have the same possession count as Lever nor will he take as many intercept marks, and probably won't help the transition as much either but defensively he's a better proposition with his size, athleticism, ground level ability, wingspan and potential build in five years lending very well to being excellent defensively - a ceiling Lever doesn't really have as much. Durdin could conceivably take the big gorilla forwards, the athletic/pacey forwards and the mobile third talls all to a high standard with his skill set. Also has the versatility to be a reasonable option if thrown forward or chopping out in the ruck. Lever is yet to expose that side of him (though I'd expect he'd be not dissimilar to Harry Taylor when forward).

Durdin offers more options but also defensively has more potential strings to his bow which is why he's the better proposition. What Lever has is extra leadership and a better (significantly so) intercept mark as well as more football smarts. I'd look at it as a Jake Carlisle v more athletic/less good 1on1 Harry Taylor. I'd take Taylor - some might take Carlisle. I also personally reckon that despite the ACL Lever is a safer bet to get the best out of himself.

Marchbank shouldn't even be in the conversation. At his height he's too one dimensional defensively and with his athleticism and height very limited in the defensive options he can take. By foot he's unreliable. A one trick pony - and while it's a good trick he's definitely second tier for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back