materamagic

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2003
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast
It was pretty good. He was not beaten and the role he played in the dying stages and providing a target around the half forward line even tho he did not score I think is well suited for him and the team. He looked comfortable in that role. I believe this will be his role, a rotational one dependant on the oppostion, for the remainer of the year. Also he could go to full forward on occasions when Doogs fails which is is happening more often rather than not.

I believe Jako will have a good year.

17 possessions, 7 marks. Not bad

Originally posted by materamagic
It was pretty good. He was not beaten and the role he played in the dying stages and providing a target around the half forward line even tho he did not score I think is well suited for him and the team. He looked comfortable in that role. I believe this will be his role, a rotational one dependant on the oppostion, for the remainer of the year. Also he could go to full forward on occasions when Doogs fails which is is happening more often rather than not.

I believe Jako will have a good year.

17 possessions, 7 marks. Not bad

yeah i liked his game no where near the talent he was 8 or 10 years ago but still doing what we need most, and thats presenting.

OK, so on one side we have the fact that Jako is still contributing to the team, and on the other we have that he is in essence, keeping Johnson out of the team and learning to ply his trade at CHF ...

call me old fashion, but at this stage, this is quite simple for me ... we must persist with Jako for this season. We are close enough if good enough, and I just doubt whether playing another inexperienced KP player is the way to go at this stage. Jako knows what needs to be done to win games, and at CHF he can still deliever the goods.

Having said that, I would like to see us try and rotate Jako, Howser and Johnson in a forward line designed to test the strength of suspect-shorter defences.

thegur

Well as my adopted player I was keeping an eye on him yesterday and I thought he was preety good. Not as good as the old Jako but probably close to the best the knew Jako that plays at CHF on a rotational basis. I'm really glad too, Lets just hope he can keep it up!

He played ok in the last when a cooler head was required, but how much of the ball did he waste in the first half blazing away from around the 50 without even looking for better options? If hes going to play like he did in the last, thats fine, if he's going to play like he did in the first then id rather someone else got the gig.

Originally posted by Thrawn666
He played ok in the last when a cooler head was required, but how much of the ball did he waste in the first half blazing away from around the 50 without even looking for better options? If hes going to play like he did in the last, thats fine, if he's going to play like he did in the first then id rather someone else got the gig.

I think that after playing ten years at CHB your going to expect that Jako will not be the most reliable kick at goal but Im sure that Woosha will get in his ear and he'll practice his kicking at goal. The positive was that he took his far share of marks across Half forward which is something that we definitely needed yesterday!

Originally posted by carlyp
I think that after playing ten years at CHB your going to expect that Jako will not be the most reliable kick at goal but Im sure that Woosha will get in his ear and he'll practice his kicking at goal. The positive was that he took his far share of marks across Half forward which is something that we definitely needed yesterday!

Its nothing to do with accuracy, its decision making. The point I was trying to make was he was being selfish when there were better options.

Originally posted by Thrawn666
Its nothing to do with accuracy, its decision making. The point I was trying to make was he was being selfish when there were better options.

Yeah that would be my only gripe with his game - he blazed away on goal too much. He probably likes a goal too much - 1st game of the year and all hopefully he'll get his head together in that department. Although he's always been a bit like that - maybe if he can get more faith in the young key korward prospects, he'll look for them more.

But yes, he made up for it in the last with some great passes and looked very handy around the ground.

I'm more than happy for Jako to play a roving tall sort of role off the bench if he can keep up the solid form he showed on Sunday.

Jak started his career as a forward and with the experience he has, I just thought he would have done better than just smashing the ball towards goal. All in all, a good game, but I also agree with others that he was selfish at times with the ball.

Hmmm, I dont think ANYONE would be saying anything about Jako being a selfish player IF he'd kicked those goals.

Anyways, lets just hope that he learns the value of passing off and sharing this week at practice and takes his performance from a 6/10 to an 8-9/10

Jacko's performance for me was one of the most pleasing aspects of sundays game. He marked and kicked well, we all know he likes a goal so maybe he should have passed a couple, atleast he won't die wondering. I really hope he delivers many more performances like that this year not just for the teams performance but because I want him to finish his career as a good player and not a washed up hasbeen (he'll never be that). As a great servant to our club he deserves a good year personally and good year by the team, we love you jacko!

Originally posted by thegur
OK, so on one side we have the fact that Jako is still contributing to the team, and on the other we have that he is in essence, keeping Johnson out of the team and learning to ply his trade at CHF ...

I disagree with that statement because i think we went in a little small on the weekend.

Both Johnson and Jakovich should be in the team IMO.

If you look at the breakdown of our team on the weekend we were a little small....
Tall players - Jakovich, Lynch, Carroll, McDougall, Cox, Gardiner
Utility players* - Embley, Judd, Staker, Jones
Small players - Cousins, Fletcher, Wirrpunda, Matera, Humm, Green, Chick, Sampi, Adkins, Braun, Banfield, Morrison.

*I think of a utility player as tall player who plays a small role, or vice versa. And as such if they are required too could play a different role. I.e. If we were desperate we could play Embley as a CHF, but he's much better in his role as a wingman.

IMO you need to come into a game with at least 7 tall players. And you can only really get away with just 7 talls if you've got 4 or 5 utility players (which we have). Otherwise you'd wanna go into a game with 8 or 9 tall players on your team.

So on that basis, I'd think that Johnson should come into the team at the expense of one of the small players......

I thought he played really well. He blazed away a couple of times but thats just Jako being Jako. Overall though he could some telling grabs and also came back into defence to assist in a couple of key clearances in the last quarter.

We need a guy of Jako's ability and experience in the team every week and if he shows form like that ever week he will no doubt play every game this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by jod23
I came back into defence to assist in a couple of key clearances in the last quarter.

Well picked up jod! He did take the impetus to help Lynch during the last quarter and worked very hard all over the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back