Jakovich. 268 games

Remove this Banner Ad

noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 14, 2002
allyourbasearebelongtous
AFL Club
West Coast
a little something from the afl site. worth a read.

Jako: Ten memorable moments
2:50:40 PM Fri 15 August, 2003
Jordan 'Jako' Chong
afl.com.au

113078ay.jpg

When West Coast Eagle Glen Jakovich runs out against Geelong at Skilled Stadium this Saturday, it will be for the 268th time, eclipsing Guy McKenna’s club record.

In a wonderfully decorated career to date, it is worth reflecting on some of the key incidents that helped build the reputation of this giant from the west.

With two premierships, four best and fairest awards and numerous state matches for the black and gold, the 30-year old is certainly one of the finest players the game has seen.

He will always be remembered as an integral part of a legendary West Coast Eagles defence that, between 1991 and 1995, was the best-ranked in the league by some considerable margin.

There have been setbacks, of course, most notably a terrible knee injury in 1996 that kept him out for almost 12 months.

It tells you something about his character that he has been able to turn around a disappointing 2001, when his career looked close to an end, with a return to the standard he demanded of himself during the golden era of West Coast.

Skilled Stadium was the stage for John Worsfold’s 200th game milestone in round nine of the 1998 season.

West Coast will be hoping Geelong’s home ground will again provide a victory to help cap off what will be a day of real celebration.

Ten memorable moments from the career of Glen Jakovich

1. “He who doesn’t fear death by a thousand cuts dares to unhorse the emperor.”
Words spoken by coach Michael Malthouse to describe Jakovich’s performance against arch-rival Wayne Carey in the 1997 semi-final. The Kangaroos won, but it certainly wasn’t due to any dominance from their skipper, who despite kicking two goals, was well beaten by Jakovich at the MCG that day. It was an outstanding effort by Jakovich against the in-form Carey, who had booted seven of the team’s 11 goals against Geelong the previous week.

2. The 1992 and 1994 premierships
After the heartbreak of 1991, having finished the season 19-3 but unable to collect the prize on offer on that last Saturday in September, the Eagles ensured their place in history with two flags in three seasons. The first flag in 1992 came in only his second year of AFL football while Jakovich was still a teenager. Most will remember Worsfold and Malthouse standing on top of the victory dais in triumph, but the image of Jakovich hugging father-figure Michael Malthouse on the ground after the siren will live forever in the memory of all who support the Eagles.

3. The day Kevin Sheedy waved the jacket
It was round 16, 1993 when the seeds to a passionate West Coast – Essendon rivalry were sewn. Jakovich easily dispensed of Paul Salmon early, with Sheedy forced to take his gun forward off the ground in the second half. But the most crucial match-up on the ground came down to a marking contest with around a minute remaining. Unfortunately for West Coast, Jakovich was assessed to have infringed, with Salmon booting the game-winning goal from the resulting free-kick. Though the result didn’t go Jako’s way, he was on his way to moulding one of the great rivalries of the era.

4. The knee injury and the comeback
Jakovich had missed only one game since debuting in 1991 when he snapped his anterior cruciate ligament against St Kilda in round 12, 1996. It occurred in the second minute of the final quarter with the big man doing something he had done countless times before, collecting the footy across half-back and trying to run around his opponent. But in trying to evade Luke Beveridge on this occasion, something went wrong, horribly wrong, with the injury keeping him on the sidelines the rest of the season. Without even a trial game with his WAFL club South Fremantle beforehand, the triumphant return came in round six the following year. The roar that emanated from the 29,838 fans when he ran on 18 minutes into the opening term against the Western Bulldogs at the WACA Ground was inspiring. Four minutes later, the crowd cheered their approval when Jakovich produced a typical 360 degree spin out of trouble and got the handball away without incident. An outstanding return of 19 touches, seven marks and two goals almost didn’t matter. The most important thing was that he was back.

5. The day a favourite son came home
It is no exaggeration to suggest that the appointment of 1992 and '94 premiership captain John Worsfold to coach the West Coast Eagles in 2002 was a key factor in Jakovich’s resurrection. After a disappointing 2001 season for the club and player, pundits were suggesting Jakovich’s time was close to running out. But playing for Worsfold – as well as former team-mates Peter Sumich and Guy McKenna, now assistant coaches – gave Jakovich a new lease on life, and this has showed in his football.

6. The Best and Fairest – 1993 (equal), '94, '95 & 2000
One of the most significant honours a footballer can achieve is to win the best and fairest in a premiership year. Jakovich was the one when West Coast took out the 1994 flag with a thumping 80-point win over Geelong.

7. Wearing the Black and Gold
State of Origin was, and still is a fervent passion of all West Australians. The highlight of his seven-game representative career was in 1991 when, under lights at Subiaco Oval, Western Australia thrashed Victoria to the tune of 76 points, securing the Graham ‘Polly’ Farmer Trophy alongside. While Jakovich wasn’t the dominant force on the ground, the match was memorable for the fact that he was able to celebrate the achievement alongside his brother Allen, who played with Melbourne and later Footscray. So instead of trading insults in Croatian – like on the first occasion the pair clashed on opposing sides – the brothers were able to celebrate in their native tougue.

8. The 1999 Finals campaign
The stirring win over the Western Bulldogs in the Qualifying Final, where Jakovich comprehensively beat Chris Grant, was not only his last win in a final, but the last under Mick Malthouse. Typically, West Coast was able to come out on top in a low-scoring defensively-orientated contest, where Malthouse injured his hand after slamming it against a wall in the coaches box. But the Eagles were unable to repeat the dose the following week against Carlton, where, with the game out of reach at three-quarter time, Malthouse exchanged words and hugged Jakovich after addressing the players for the last time on the ground. After the game, Jakovich said: “Mick doesn’t just prepare you for football, he prepares you for life.”

9. Reinvented as a key forward
Having spent so much of his career denying centre-half forwards the footy, this season has seen Jakovich spend many games holding down centre half-forward, considered the hardest position on the ground. Working with Phillip Matera in the forward pocket and goal-scoring midfielders Chris Judd, Daniel Kerr and Ashley Sampi, Jakovich’s ability to provide a contest has been one of the reasons West Coast is the highest-scoring team in the competition in 2003.

10. Developing his media career
Recently on Seven’s Talking Footy, commentator Bruce McAvaney declared Jakovich to be a natural for a media career after football. But over the years, Big Jako has shown a tendency to mangle the English language. Two classic clangers are when he once referred to ‘terrible palsy’ when he meant to say cerebral palsy, and when he described someone who could kick with both feet as being ‘amphibious’.

Amphibious is a term that could well apply to Jakovich, for the bloke can – just about – walk on water.

Yeah good on you Jako, by god he was sensational at his all too brief peak.

BLOODY KNEE INJURY.

Still, managing to produce quality football to this day.

Roll on 300 hey guys ? :)

Originally posted by Black JuJu
Roll on 300 hey guys ? :)

Mmmm, dunno.

I'd like to see it but it would require two more seasons and I'd just hate to see him slog through 2005 like Mick Martyn has this year. Jako deserves a more dignified exit than that pathetic, embarrassing display..

For anyone who doesnt quite understand why I love Jako so much, read the above article!

Good you Jako, all the best for the game and the future! What a champion!

Originally posted by noodle
8. The 1999 Finals campaign
The stirring win over the Western Bulldogs in the Qualifying Final, where Jakovich comprehensively beat Chris Grant, was not only his last win in a final, but the last under Mick Malthouse. Typically, West Coast was able to come out on top in a low-scoring defensively-orientated contest, where Malthouse injured his hand after slamming it against a wall in the coaches box. But the Eagles were unable to repeat the dose the following week against Carlton, where, with the game out of reach at three-quarter time, Malthouse exchanged words and hugged Jakovich after addressing the players for the last time on the ground. After the game, Jakovich said: “Mick doesn’t just prepare you for football, he prepares you for life.”

I remember that day like it was yesterday. My mother reckons I went threw a box of Kleenex during that game, the majority used at 3/4 time. I still feel so sad when I think about that day. If I close my eyes I can still remember Jako giving MM a hug at 3/4 time and him having a big cry. Actually I doubt whether there was a dry eye in all of WA that day. If I could change things I would have had Micky say nothing about leaving and got the boys fired up and gone on and won that
flag. It would have been something special to win one last premiership with Mick that year!

Wonderful read, about a wonderful player and a great bloke.

I fully reserve the right to bawl my eyes out when he decides to hang up the boots- there'll never be another player or club man like the big #27.

Originally posted by Mead

I fully reserve the right to bawl my eyes out when he decides to hang up the boots- there'll never be another player or club man like the big #27.

Yep! Mead...how about when he finally does retire we meet on msn and spend the whole day crying together and reminiscing good jako memories ;)?????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes
Geez, its not like the man is going to be dead or anything.

I know, I know Im being over the top. But you must admit it will be a sad day when the inevitable happens. It just makes me feel so blue to know that one day there is going to be no more Jako out there running around. I felt the same way when Peter Matera retired. I will miss him greatly.

As Mead said.....
there'll never be another player or club man like the big #27.

Originally posted by Mead

Agreed. Jako is like no other Eagle. The other retirements have hurt, but Jako's will devestate.

On the upside, did anyone else notice with glee that there's another Jako junior on the way? *Gets down on knees* (shuttup Oz) "Please be a boy! Please be a boy!"

Best of luck for tomorrow you big lunk. :)

Hope its a win for one of the Eagles greatest.

Originally posted by Eagle_Fan
On the upside, did anyone else notice with glee that there's another Jako junior on the way? *Gets down on knees* (shuttup Oz) "Please be a boy! Please be a boy!"

Really? Thats fantastic news! Imagine, another Jako in about 20 years time! How kool....... :):):):)

Hopefully he plays a blinder. Congratulatons.

Interesting thought EF, for some reason all of 'em seem to wind up having daughters. I'm sure that there's a good biological reason for it, and I'd look it up if I wasn't too damned lazy.

Originally posted by carneagles
Hopefully he plays a blinder. Congratulatons.

Interesting thought EF, for some reason all of 'em seem to wind up having daughters. I'm sure that there's a good biological reason for it, and I'd look it up if I wasn't too damned lazy.

Yeah Kempys had a little girl and Jakos first born was a little girl too. Hmmm...what is going on there?

What can you say about the bloke really? He's one of the all time greats, and will be sorely missed when he decides to retire.
I reckon he's got at least 1 more season in him though, and it sounds like he thinks so too.

For me Matera's retirement was the hardest to fathom:( When Jako goes it will be terrible, but for me not as bad as Roo. I spent a LOT of last weeks game watching shocking kicking and thinking "boy i wish Roo was out there!"

Jako not playing with the Eagles will be like someone has died - you can't help notice him out there, helping the new kids in their debut game or just watching him giving everything at a contest.

Great article on the AFL website - wish this bloke wrote more about the Eagles than Mic Cullen's regimented articles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back