James Aish

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you think he dropped to pick 7 because one paced, small bodied outside midfielders aren't in high demand?

Would I like Aish? Most certainly...
But this draft our number 1 pick must be used on a need, KPP, Ruck or an elite paced midfielder..

Rendell always said and Noble has the same philosophy, first pick you always take talent over needs and get the best kid available, the club won't trade the first pick for Aish if they think they can get a better player in the draft. 2nd and 3rd round picks are for needs.

Do you think he dropped to pick 7 because one paced, small bodied outside midfielders aren't in high demand?

But this draft our number 1 pick must be used on a need, KPP, Ruck or an elite paced midfielder..

We don't need a ruckman. jacobs , Lowden , O'Brien.

Rendell always said and Noble has the same philosophy, first pick you always take talent over needs and get the best kid available, the club won't trade the first pick for Aish if they think they can get a better player in the draft. 2nd and 3rd round picks are for needs.

We seemed to go for needs this year...
Otherwise how would you explain us trading pick 10 for 14?
We knew the teams above us didn't have the same need

We don't need a ruckman. jacobs , Lowden , O'Brien.

Are you serious?
Lowden and Obrien are no where near AFL certainties.
If Jacobs goes down we are in all sorts of strife..
Lowden has played 1 game in 6 years and was destined to be delisted.
And Obrien was overlooked by every club including us in the main draft

Are you serious?

I am serious. We have other matters such as KPP players to address before a ruckman.

Lowden just got back from injury , it'll take time before he gets fully fit. Plus Lowden had Hale , McEvoy and Ceglar to compete with in the first 22.

Are you serious?

An incomplete list of rookie drafted ruckmen who were overlooked by every club including us in the main draft:

Dean Cox
Aaron Sandilands
Sam Jacobs

*Edit I get your sentiment as Grundy and BigBoy were taken with low picks, but next draft we are not that desperate for rucks as we once were. ROB will come on....

Lever was heading towards being the no. 1 pick before doing his acl. Adelaide thought they could get a bargain and it still could turn out that way. The fact he is a talk defender is merely coincidence.

Aish only dropped as he was deemed a flight risk. If he wasn't, he'd either be with Collingwood or Western Bulldogs right now.

And a midfielder with elite disposal and above average pace is definitely a need for us.

Other clubs may go for needs but the club thought Lever was the best available. When lever played his last game of junior football he was rated as a top 5 pick. The club was sure if they didn't take him at 10 he would still be available at 14. Geelong would have been gun shy on a player who had done his acl after Menzel. If it was purely a needs basis they would have gone with Durdin a taller KPP who can also play ruck and is a local kid.

Other clubs may go for needs but the club thought Lever was the best available. When lever played his last game of junior football he was rated as a top 5 pick. The club was sure if they didn't take him at 10 he would still be available at 14. Geelong would have been gun shy on a player who had done his acl after Menzel. If it was purely a needs basis they would have gone with Durdin a taller KPP who can also play ruck and is a local kid.

I am fully aware of the Lever history but you do not drop 4 places if you are picking best available, we were filling an obvious need. And thankfully we did

Aish only dropped as he was deemed a flight risk. If he wasn't, he'd either be with Collingwood or Western Bulldogs right now.

And a midfielder with elite disposal and above average pace is definitely a need for us.

I think the Bulldogs were always grabbing Bont and Collingwood picked up a flight risk in Scharenberg, must have also preferred the big bodied midfielder over a small, one pace outside mid?

An incomplete list of rookie drafted ruckmen who were overlooked by every club including us in the main draft:

Dean Cox
Aaron Sandilands
Sam Jacobs

*Edit I get your sentiment as Grundy and BigBoy were taken with low picks, but next draft we are not that desperate for rucks as we once were. ROB will come on....

I was more talking about using the pick to trade for a ready made Key forward / ruck rather than drafting a kid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dean Cox
Aaron Sandilands
Sam Jacobs

Mumford
Jamar
Jolly

Dean Cox
Aaron Sandilands
Sam Jacobs

Great point.
Also remember that neither of those are top 8 rucks in the AFL anyway.

Mummy, Goldy, Sandi, Jacobs, Martin, Maric, Naitnui, Lobbe all better.

Are you serious?
Not really worried about O'Brien being overlooked in this draft. Marc Pittonet was the only "pure" ruck taken in the national draft and he was in the 50's. Clubs don't look to want to be investing too heavily on ruckmen with their draft picks lately.

I think the Bulldogs were always grabbing Bont and Collingwood picked up a flight risk in Scharenberg, must have also preferred the big bodied midfielder over a small, one pace outside mid?
Pick 7, Point still stands, he was expected to go pick 2 until clubs became concerned he would want to return to SA after his first contract. You always take talent when talent is available.

I'm with Fred Bassett on this. We definitely need another KPP (or two) and a pacy elite midfielder who can hit a target.A backup Ruck man is needed but I wouldn't be drafting early for one.
"Take talent when talent is available"...Why not take the most talented player in the position you need such as Lever and Talia?

Aish is a nice player but he doesn't fit the description of any of those wants IMO. These are absolute needs and we need to draft/trade accordingly.
If the club can work out a fair deal, excellent. 'No throwing in the kitchen sink stuff ' for a bloke who till now has shown himself to be a good honest footballer in the AFL.
As for Aish going pick 2, in some fantasy draft maybe but those players selected before him would still be selected before him now, even without the help of hindsight. That is an impressive list of players, all who have a game as good or better than Aish. Scharenberg's injuries haven't allowed him to shine yet.
It had nothing to do with flight risk, those players were selected by those clubs because they rated them higher than Aish.

Some skillful mids to balance the inside grunt and ball winning ability we've already got would be absolute gold.

It would be nice if Aish was a bit quicker but the fact he isn't means he's achievable (in terms of salary and trade value).

Number 5 pick?

Do tell

And no, the last thing our club needs is another one paced midfielder.
We need pace, desperately.. We need a ruckman, desperately, and if you have been watching we desperately need a key forward... So you would like us to overlook these needs for another draft?

Have you not seen the kicking skills of our players? WE DESPERATELY NEED GOOD BALL USERS!!!!!!!!!

Aish is very good by foot and is composed with ball in hand

Freddy's point is a good one though.

Gaining Aish whilst keeping our first rounder would be ideal. Then we can hopefully add a pacey mid through the draft as well.

Whether that's possible...?

Have ROB, Dear, Lowden, Osborn shown enough that we'd be comfortable trading Jenkins to Brisbane?

Freddy's point is a good one though.

Gaining Aish whilst keeping our first rounder would be ideal. Then we can hopefully add a pacey mid through the draft as well.

Whether that's possible...?

Have ROB, Dear, Lowden, Osborn shown enough that we'd be comfortable trading Jenkins to Brisbane?
In a word, no. But we have about 15 weeks to find out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back