James Frawley 2.2 mill 4 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sold on Frawley, didn't like it at the time and still don't.

Now the following probably belongs in the drafts and trading thread but it is relative to the quoted post.

So many people (mainly opposition supporters...and Nick Riewoldt) forget about Sewell's retirement when commenting on our seemingly never ending salary cap.
For memory Sewell was on approx. $450k in his final years, add that to the $900k "Buddy kitty" and that's $1.35m. Subtract Frawley's $550k and McEvoy's $300k (estimate only) and that's $500k left to go spending with. Add further cap relief of approx. $500k combined for Hale, Lake and Suckling and it's happy days for Graeme Wright come trade period.

I know our youngsters will have taken their cut of that pool going forward but that's $1m left in our cap at the end of this season.

We can easily afford Dangerfield when you factor all that in....it's just a matter if we want him at the price, and if he indeed wants us!

I won't give up hope until he signs with someone!

He should be our primary focus on this board until his decision is made public.

Forget the Bennell, Wingard rubbish in the meantime.
Trade McEvoy for a 1st round pick, back end contract offers to Dangerfield and Kreuzer as free agents and hit the draft with 2 first rounders (if they don't go to Adelaide for Dangerfield).

Except how do you expect Breust, gunston Roughy etc to take unders if we pay Danger $1mil + a year ? and Kreuzer $600k +

There's more to getting free agents than just having cap room.

Not us.

but there's talk of band 1 compensation and he's in Carlton top 10 paid and there cap is full so he'd be on around that now.
Yeah but no one is going to pay that to him now...I'd be amazed if he gets more than $350k. Not even remotely consistent at AFL level and a bad history of injuries. Surely band 1 is a complete joke. This is more or less his best season of footy and he averages 13 disposals, .7 goals and 20 hit outs which is roughly in line with his career average of 12 possessions, .5 goals and 18 hit outs per game. Not exactly a top tier player. Its virtually the same output as McEvoy.

I quite like what I've seen of him and think he will only get better once he gets a bit more experience in our jumper. It's a vastly different game plan to the one he was used to.

As an aside, I think we'd be mad not to give Lake another year though.

He's been serviceable. He also seems to be trying not to bite off more than he can chew. I've noticed that most of his kicks are to players miles in the clear. It's like he's aware of his poor disposal and is playing it safe.

So he should be looking for contests to kick to when clearing from our defensive 50m ?

Except how do you expect Breust, gunston Roughy etc to take unders if we pay Danger $1mil + a year ? and Kreuzer $600k +

There's more to getting free agents than just having cap room.

Didn't suggest for one minute that we would pay either of them that sort of coin.
I merely suggested that we have room to accommodate them.
We wouldn't offer Danger more than $650k or Kreuzer much more than $400k.

He will prove to be huge for us once Lake retires. We literally have no other players capable of playing well on big key forwards.

Suckling has a foot out the door and Schoe has had a decent season up forward so I guess we need a new scapegoat - and Chips seems to be copping a bit of it so far - being a high profile signing doesn't help.

In a very simplistic view - here is our regular season points allowed per game over the past few years:

2012 - 78.8 points per game (22 games)
2013 - 84.5 points per game (22 games)
2014 - 79.4 points per game (22 games)
2015 - 71.5 points per game (20 games)

In past years I felt our defense was the weakest part of our game. This year I have felt a lot more comfortable when the ball has come into our defense - but have not been impressed with the amount of times it has come down that way. I think our structure in the back 6 has been far better this year - and a reason for this is having Chips back there. He doesn't make an impact like Lake or Gibbo can - but I think he is doing enough so far this year to justify having signed him and as he gets more familiar with our system he'll be one of the better defenders in the game again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with that I think we will also no his true value more once Lake is gone. One thing I will say is I think it will be money better spent on him than it is on Big Boy.
Thats a big call....I know who has easily given better value for money thus far.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Got to assume he will only get better as he gets more game time. Learning the game plan and fitting in to a cohesive, organised defensive unit takes time.

Dude is only 26!

Not sold on Frawley, didn't like it at the time and still don't.

Now the following probably belongs in the drafts and trading thread but it is relative to the quoted post.

So many people (mainly opposition supporters...and Nick Riewoldt) forget about Sewell's retirement when commenting on our seemingly never ending salary cap.
For memory Sewell was on approx. $450k in his final years, add that to the $900k "Buddy kitty" and that's $1.35m. Subtract Frawley's $550k and McEvoy's $300k (estimate only) and that's $500k left to go spending with. Add further cap relief of approx. $500k combined for Hale, Lake and Suckling and it's happy days for Graeme Wright come trade period.

I know our youngsters will have taken their cut of that pool going forward but that's $1m left in our cap at the end of this season.

We can easily afford Dangerfield when you factor all that in....it's just a matter if we want him at the price, and if he indeed wants us!

I won't give up hope until he signs with someone!

He should be our primary focus on this board until his decision is made public.

Forget the Bennell, Wingard rubbish in the meantime.
Trade McEvoy for a 1st round pick, back end contract offers to Dangerfield and Kreuzer as free agents and hit the draft with 2 first rounders (if they don't go to Adelaide for Dangerfield).

From all reports the Hawks had no chance of matching the offer to Franklin or even honoring the existing offer that was last on the table for him in the 2013 season. Hawks had moved on and signed up several young players.

Players like Breust, Smith, Pop, Shiels, Hill etc would have all re-signed for more money, so although we lost some senior players I would argue that our younger players would have absorbed a fair chunk of that money (and deservedly so).

So he should be looking for contests to kick to when clearing from our defensive 50m ?

Good point :drunk: I'm just saying that the impression I get is that he's not trying to bite off more than he can chew. With all his injuries this year, I don't think we've really seen what he's fully capable of either.

Not us.

but there's talk of band 1 compensation and he's in Carlton top 10 paid and there cap is full so he'd be on around that now.

Compensation is based (although AFL just makes up this bullshit and it's a new form of equalisation as none of this is actually written down and player wages are not made public) on the contract offered to the player, not the contract that they were on.

If the Hawks were interested in Kreuzer then I would expect a much lower offer than $600k per year. If he said 'But I was on that at Carlton' the club should respond with 'And where did they finish last year?'

Good point :drunk: I'm just saying that the impression I get is that he's not trying to bite off more than he can chew. With all his injuries this year, I don't think we've really seen what he's fully capable of either.

I agree. And I think Hawthorn would be happy for him to steadily build. I dont think he has been soundly beaten this year either. And he did a fantastic job on Buddy. When Roughie has trouble kicking goals he travels up the ground and can still have an impact. Buddy had 7 or 8 touches and did nothing.

We havent had many big scores kicked on us this year, partly due to our defence, and partly due to our midfield. Against Port and Richmond it was very much a case of the midfield struggling, not our defence.

Hill has struggled the last month. Shiels has been missing a LOT of easy kicks and handballs, and that mark he dropped on the weekend cost us a goal because we had a player free in our forward 50m (very much a case of him spending it before he got it). Mitchell has been solid but still gets caught occasionally. Hodge and Burgoyne seemed slow. Even Smith didnt seem to have the pace.

Getting someone like Langford back could be great. Maybe even O'Rourke.

I really hope Clarko uses the next 2 weeks to try a few things, but I think he really needs to leave the defence alone so they have more time together - because both Lake and Frawley have missed a lot of game.

Underwhelming is how I describe him so far.

I was very happy with his recruitment, just he still looks more Melbourne than Hawthorn some days.
I fully recognise that he should improve and show his true worth over time.

Reckon he needs a breakout game to lift his confidence a bit.
My only concern though is, other than being All Australian in 2010 (a long time ago), was he actuallly that good at Melbourne? I was never that grabbed by what I saw. Overall very serviceable, but not elite -- and perhaps not worth the money we're paying him. This year seems to be much the same, and have been a little frustrated by some slow decision making. However obviously I back Wright in what he thinks he'll bring to the club, and will be very handy once Lake retires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back