Player Watch Jason Horne-Francis - You were always one of us

Remove this Banner Ad

I am banned from the West Coast Rioli thread and the Norf JHF thread 🙃

Me too. Big footy moderators are funny like that.

It's OK to type the most disgusting toxic slanderous bile about a player or their family but as soon as you point out a fault on an opposition board.. that's it you're gone, it won't be tolerated 😆

Trade week is just as contrived as everything else in the AFL. The deals will get done, but we need to let the AFL get the exposure it wants until the 11th hour on Wednesday.

Your spot on, they gotta justify the billions in tv rights they take home, which I could swallow if that money went to improving the state of the game i.e the umpiring, development, overall professionalism.

The game seems to get less professional and more contrived every year though

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We did it with Nick Stevens and in hindsight I don’t think anyone at the club thought it was the right decision.

The Stevens decision is largely acknowledged as necessary, not because it was a good list management move (it wasn’t) but because it was the right strategic move.

We were quite vocal at the time that we were all in for a cup, and viewed (rightly) Collingwood as a major competitor. It benefitted us more to send him to Carlton for nothing , than to massively strengthen our immediate rival.

Had we been a middling team, or if stevens requested to go to a middling team, we would have made a deal.

Tom Boyd is similar type of case, as Tom Scully wasn't a trade but a godfather offer from an expansion side and only compo picks given.

Boyd had played 9 games in debut season. Ryan Griffen walked out on WB as captain and caused coach Brendan McCarthy to be sacked.

Griffen like Judd was a pick 3, but was 4 years older (28) than Judd (24) when he went Carlton, and hadn't achieve as much as Judd. No flag, no Norm, no Brownlow, no MVP, only 1 All Oz v 2 and 2 B&F's each. He had played 202 games vs Judd's 134. Griffen played 4 seasons at GWS and Judd 8 at Carlton which is reflected in there age when traded.

Boyd was given a contract worth around $7m for 7 years to move to WB. He probably had 6 big games for WB out of his 52 games for them - the 2016 PF and GF stand out, meaning he will always have been considered worth the deal. He did hand back / give up $2mil when he quit in 2019 due to his ongoing mental health / depression issues.

JHF isn't being paid $7mil for 7 years. He probably will be on his $175-200k deal for the 1st year and then $500k+ maybe as high as an average of $600k over 5 years. So we don't think JHF is worth what WB thought Boyd was worth.

So us giving up pick 8 instead of GWS's pick 6 is a fair comparison.

Is Port's first Rd pick in 2023 equivalent to Griffen? Prima Facie no its not. But Griffen only played for 4 more years and a decent pick 10 give or take 3 or 4 slots should play for a dozen years. Its probably why another pick will be added in, in the late 20's or early 30's range.

This basic sort of analysis shows the media is just being hyperbolic about this deal to fill a lot of airtime and column inches.

As I posted on the d and t board griffins body was cooked.

I bizarrely got questioned by dogs fans and provided a herald sun article that said he ****ed his back and wasn’t the same and if you look at his stats after that injury he declined sharply.

When he was traded gws and dogs both knew he wasn’t a gun anymore, gws just needed leaders so he was attractive for that reason.

Pick 1's traded this century - ie either pick 1 or player drafted at pick 1

2001 Freo trade 1+20+36 for Croad and McPharlin

2002 Brendon Goddard Restricted Free Agent move to Essendon in 2012 after 205 games, St Kilda got a 1st Rd compo pick effectively 13
2003 Adam Cooney traded to Essendon in 2014 after 219 games and a dodgy knee for pick 37
2004 Brett Delidio traded to GWS in 2016 after 243 games for 2017 1st Rd (Gee finished 3rd) and 2017 3rd Rd

2006 Bryce Gibbs traded to Adelaide in 2017 after 231 games for picks 10 + 17
2008 Jack Watts traded to Port in 2017 after 154 games for pick 31
2009 Tom Scully went to GWS in 2011 after 66 games as uncontracted player - Melb compo was 1st Rd + mid 1st Rd picks activated in 2012 draft

2011 Jonathon Patton traded to Hawks in 2019 after 89 games and 2 dodgy knees for 2020 4th Rd
2013 Tom Boyd traded in 2014 after 9 games in 1 season to Western Bulldogs for pick 6 + Ryan Griffen and given a 7 year $7mil deal.

2014 Paddy McCartin not so much a trade but after quitting footy in 2019 due to concussion and returned in January 2022 as a rookie to Swans as part of the pre-season supplemental selection period signing.

I put up what Carlton traded for Judd in 2007 on page 92 of this thread and what he had achieved which was 3+20+Josh Kennedy (a former pick 4 two seasons earlier)

Tom Boyd is similar type of case, as Tom Scully wasn't a trade but a godfather offer from an expansion side and only compo picks given.

Boyd had played 9 games in debut season. Ryan Griffen walked out on WB as captain and caused coach Brendan McCarthy to be sacked.

Griffen like Judd was a pick 3, but was 4 years older (28) than Judd (24) when he went Carlton, and hadn't achieve as much as Judd. No flag, no Norm, no Brownlow, no MVP, only 1 All Oz v 2 and 2 B&F's each. He had played 202 games vs Judd's 134. Griffen played 4 seasons at GWS and Judd 8 at Carlton which is reflected in there age when traded.

Boyd was given a contract worth around $7m for 7 years to move to WB. He probably had 6 big games for WB out of his 52 games for them - the 2016 PF and GF stand out, meaning he will always have been considered worth the deal. He did hand back / give up $2mil when he quit in 2019 due to his ongoing mental health / depression issues.

JHF isn't being paid $7mil for 7 years. He probably will be on his $175-200k deal for the 1st year and then $500k+ maybe as high as an average of $600k over 5 years. So we don't think JHF is worth what WB thought Boyd was worth.

So us giving up pick 8 instead of GWS's pick 6 is a fair comparison.

Is Port's first Rd pick in 2023 equivalent to Griffen? Prima Facie no its not. But Griffen only played for 4 more years and a decent pick 10 give or take 3 or 4 slots should play for a dozen years. Its probably why another pick will be added in, in the late 20's or early 30's range.

This basic sort of analysis shows the media is just being hyperbolic about this deal to fill a lot of airtime and column inches.
Do you think it’s important if that 2nd rounder is in 2022 and 2023.

Its weird. Its not about jhf being the number 1 pick, but showing what a superstar he is during the season. Strangely he didn't get a single vote in the rising star. Daicos was pick 4 and got the maximum 60 votes in the rising star. Im not sure how jhf put his value through the roof on the basis of his season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I said this morning, I think Clark is the key to this deal. North need to sell someone wanting to come to their dying club.

The mega trade idea is a good one because it enables the petulant bottom feeders at North and West Coast to look at what they're trading in and out in totality and realise they're getting a good deal rather than just dealing with us and looking at the trade as some bizarre opportunity to rip us off and get a 'win' on the board after their pathetic, gutless two win seasons.

The mega trade idea is a good one because it enables the petulant bottom feeders at North and West Coast to look at what they're trading in and out in totality and realise they're getting a good deal rather than just dealing with us and looking at the trade as some bizarre opportunity to rip us off and get a 'win' on the board after their pathetic, gutless two win seasons.
I’d love to know the details of this trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back