Official Club Stuff Jay Schulz staying at Port - Officially announced

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a key forward. He needs space to operate in.

He probably has set all the door frames to a height of 150cm so he can get used to whacks in the head.

As he should, because he is an incredibly average forward.

Everyone on here has been bitching about Schulz's form all year, but Schulz is averaging 2.1 goals to Carlisle's 1.3.

I'm not bitching about his performance I would just rather see him walk than us overpay him.

Obviously the ideal scenario would be him staying on for a realistic amount of money.

Last edited:

Imagine how low the door frames must be at Joel Selwood's house.

tumblr_m9ux5fonRY1r1b3q4o1_500.jpg

Yeah that's exactly what I said... Well read...

I know it isn't what you said or implied, but what I think about it, and not to single you out, but to everyone, if we are prepared to give Carlisle more than he would be getting from the bombers/more than we can spare for Schulz, we are overpaying based on demonstrated form.

I know it isn't what you said or implied, but what I think about it, and not to single you out, but to everyone, if we are prepared to give Carlisle more than he would be getting from the bombers/more than we can spare for Schulz, we are overpaying based on demonstrated form.

Very true but in saying that I'd rather not overpay a 30 year old even though I'd love to see him finish his career with Port.

Very true but in saying that I'd rather not overpay a 30 year old even though I'd love to see him finish his career with Port.
Yes I agree with most of that, but as Carlisle has been the only other option bandied about in case an agreement with Schulz can't be reached... I'd rather a deal made with the Sarge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I agree with most of that, but as Carlisle has been the only other option bandied about in case an agreement with Schulz can't be reached... I'd rather a deal made with the Sarge

We aren't anywhere near the top at the moment so more than likely we will not win a premiership with An aging Schulz. I don't think overpaying a 30+ year old who will demand a fair chunk of cash will get us any closer to a premiership.
Maybe Carlisle can be that guy to help us move forward, he's still very young. Obviously a huge risk especially when the bloke thinks he is a backman.

It's tough, I really don't think Carlisle is the guy to come in. I heard today he wants to stay in Melboirne anyway.

Two things I hate about AFL. The way we treat the kids via the draft system and the way we treat the player who's around the 30 mark.

We all love our players to be one club players yet if you're close to turning 30 and the "window" or cap doesn't suit then we are happy to show you the door.

It's a tough one. Jay is more than in his rights to secure his future by earning every dollar he can while he still can, but in order to do that should he be forced to walk away after 6 years and helping us through our darkest days.

It just doesn't seem right.

Two things I hate about AFL. The way we treat the kids via the draft system and the way we treat the player who's around the 30 mark.

We all love our players to be one club players yet if you're close to turning 30 and the "window" or cap doesn't suit then we are happy to show you the door.

It's a tough one. Jay is more than in his rights to secure his future by earning every dollar he can while he still can, but in order to do that should he be forced to walk away after 6 years and helping us through our darkest days.

Difficult. Has been a fantastic player for us who should have been one of our highest paid players. Reward players why they are at their best. I'm not sure Schulz believes anymore. He goes to ground like a player who thinks the opposition has him easily covered. Bit like Monfries. Very disappointing. Want to see him fly again and believe.

I don't see the going to ground easily trait in either of Schulz or Monfries? In one-on-one aerial contests even when in form they probably lose more than they win, but it's not as a result of effort. Just a reflection of their mid-tier athletic status in the AFL.

Difficult. Has been a fantastic player for us who should have been one of our highest paid players. Reward players why they are at their best. I'm not sure Schulz believes anymore. He goes to ground like a player who thinks the opposition has him easily covered. Bit like Monfries. Very disappointing. Want to see him fly again and believe.

I don't think at any point in his career Schulz would've been in the top 5 earning players at Port, despite being in our top 5 players during his time here. That's what I've been saying for a while.

Maybe we've signed him up at opportune times and got away with underpaying him?

Think part of this year is due to having Ryder up forward.

Schulz has never been able to play with another leading forward in his career. Struggled to play with Richo, struggled to play with Tredrea, struggled whenever Butcher was in the side, seems to be somewhat of a struggle with Ryder.

He can play with Westhoff, but Westhoff is a bit different in that he has large stints out of the forward line, and the Hoff revamped his game from his debut season and stopped relying on space for marks.

Wonder if we can poach Hawthorn's forward coach or something, they seem to get it right with any combination of players.

Last edited:

Sorry, it's a business. From 29 onwards its lower contracts or graceful forced retirements.
Can't pay Robbie, Boak, Ryder, Wines etc and also keep players like Shulz on good deals

Can't have it all in the business of football

Sorry, it's a business. From 29 onwards its lower contracts or graceful forced retirements.
Can't pay Robbie, Boak, Ryder, Wines etc and also keep players like Shulz on good deals

Can't have it all in the business of football

No, it's a club that runs a business.

But...

As a business, we've gotten away with underpaying our best performer in a particular field for a long time now, so are we a fair business that values it's people, or a campaigner?

No, it's a club that runs a business.

But...

As a business, we've gotten away with underpaying our best performer in a particular field for a long time now, so are we a fair business that values it's people, or a campaigner?
Could be right on underpaying, but hey I think I am underpaid as well but I stay.

Great debate. A club that runs a business or a business that is a club? With a 40 million turnover and a 50000 stadium and 18 mill spend on our team. I vote it is a business that is a club

SANFL clubs are a club that has a business

Great debate though!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back