Jayden Pitt - Pick 20

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we all have some grave concerns about Pitt being a bust at this stage in his career.

If I was playing on him, my eyes would light up at any level of football. His demeanour is not good, and I'd be confident of showing him up fairly easily.

He doesn't use his pace.

His biggest problem is his angles at contests and at the ball. He runs the long way around everything. Goes the long way to the ball and to the contest.

Which is very similar to Masten, and why he has suffered. Even an averagely talented player with a brain can cut him off extremely easily. You just need to get inside his running line and he just gives it up. Which is one of the markers of a poor player at any level.

His skills under no pressure are good. His skills in open play and under pressure are very poor. As are his decision making abilities in clinches.

He really needs a lot of work to become a good player from here.

1 year.. 1 ****ing year and you're ready to give up on him? My god, the idiocy reaches new levels.

No, but he has some serious flaws.

The main one being the way he moves to and from contests. He is not a natural mover on the field.

What is done to address those will determine the kind of player he becomes.

If he doesn't improve, he has no future in the AFL. If he does, then we will see.

No, but he has some serious flaws.

The main one being the way he moves to and from contests. He is not a natural mover on the field.

What is done to address those will determine the kind of player he becomes.

If he doesn't improve, he has no future in the AFL. If he does, then we will see.
Every draftee has flaws. Even the number 1 picks have flaws. They all have to work on them. To see you dumping on this kid after 7 games just shows you how pathetic and idiotic you are.

Every draftee has flaws. Even the number 1 picks have flaws. They all have to work on them. To see you dumping on this kid after 7 games just shows you how pathetic and idiotic you are.

Not really.

I'm just elocuting what people's concerns are in a more detailed way than the usual, "he's crap" diatribe.

Every player has flaws, this one just has some more fundamental flaws than you would ideally like to see.

Not really.

I'm just elocuting what people's concerns are in a more detailed way than the usual, "he's crap" diatribe.

Every player has flaws, this one just has some more fundamental flaws than you would ideally like to see.
They aren't fundamental flaws. Fundamental flaws would prevent a player from being drafted, such as the ability to mark, kick, handpass. Almost every young player coming from the TAC cup struggles to fit in, especially in a weakened side. Out of the many that were drafted last year, only two you can say have fitted in real well. Heppell and Gaff. One has a great side to be around and the other is just a gun. Just look at the start of the season when we were up and flying, Pitt looked really good. As soon as we starting playing s**t, he gets hung out to dry a bit more and you see that he is struggling to get to the pace of the game.

Those flaws that you listed, are incorrect. He used his pace many times tonight. He went at the contest many times. Skills under pressure yes, but that comes with time in the system, not immediate.

Stop being a negative nancy, always trying to find the negatives in everything. Even when we win..

Those flaws that you listed, are incorrect.

Really?

He used his pace many times tonight.

As did all the players. Mainly in the warm up.

He went at the contest many times.

I love that sentence. As if by saying so it defeats my opinion that he got to contests second, inefficiently, and in the wrong position.

Skills under pressure yes, but that comes with time in the system, not immediate.

Agreed. But it is something that needs to be watched.

Stop being a negative nancy, always trying to find the negatives in everything. Even when we win..

If you're not looking to improve, you might as well be dead.

I respect your opinion Chops but for me it's too early to tell. Especially as the handling of him by the club has been woeful!

The poor kid was thrown in at the deep end Rd 1 and has had no continuity at any level and has missed so much footy being either sub or emergency.

So I think his form this year isn't a true indication of his talent and his development would've been stunted.

If he gets a full preseason in and can string together 6 or so games at one level next year, then I can better pass judgement.

Those flaws that you listed, are incorrect. He used his pace many times tonight. He went at the contest many times. Skills under pressure yes, but that comes with time in the system, not immediate.

He hasn't shown any real pace so far, just the pace expected of a small person. Judd could burn him off with 2 dodgy groins.

A lot of players get drafted based on athletic ability alone. Pitt was not one of those players. His play as a junior was highlighted by his ability to read the play, his composure, agility and near elite foot skills. You don't lose that overnight.

Some players just take longer to adjust. Another preseason and actually having a defined role in the team will no doubt help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of players get drafted based on athletic ability alone. Pitt was not one of those players. His play as a junior was highlighted by his ability to read the play, his composure, agility and near elite foot skills. You don't lose that overnight.

Some players just take longer to adjust. Another preseason and actually having a defined role in the team will no doubt help.

Agreed.

You can see how good his skills and vision can be in open space. So he has it there. It's not like he doesn't have the raw talent, because he does.

I see him developing in a similar mould to Mundy. Mundy's skills, his everything really, were suss under pressure. But he was able to translate those skills into contested situations, which is what we had always wanted.

Now his skills are brilliant no matter what. I'd handcuff them to each other over the pre-season. They eat what each other eats. They eat whoever each other eats etc. etc.

Was a ridiculous selection, surely it's evident on the track that Roberton and now Pitt are a long, long way from AFL standard at present?

Another who's been mismanaged by the club this year. Given games when he clearly isn't ready and it's knocked his confidence around. He looks a worse player now than he did at the start of the year.

Meanwhile we've got a hardened body running around chopping it up in the WAFL every week, while our coach complains about injuries tying his hands at the selection table.. Lucky we kept old Scham for squad depth then hey?

Exactly right, simply means that he will shine when he bulks up and gets really fit. As we have seen with Palmer, you can be the fittest player at a club but if you can't kick the footy well it is very hard to learn. Most staff at the club didn't expect him to play at all this year.

For me he showed enough in two games to be given a fair go. Against Adelaide he started like a house on fire getting like 9 possies in the first quarter and showed some real class. And against North at home he finished with 24 possessions. The players that play well in their debut season are always the fitter ones and/or the bigger bodied players. At the moment he is about as raw as an 18 year old could be which means there is a huge scope for improvement.

Another who's been mismanaged by the club this year. Given games when he clearly isn't ready and it's knocked his confidence around. He looks a worse player now than he did at the start of the year.

Meanwhile we've got a hardened body running around chopping it up in the WAFL every week, while our coach complains about injuries tying his hands at the selection table.. Lucky we kept old Scham for squad depth then hey?
Yet last year and the year before it was "give the kids a run"... Freo fans are getting as schizo as the team.

Yet last year and the year before it was "give the kids a run"... Freo fans are getting as schizo as the team.

He was given his run and despite an encouraging start it was obvious he isn't up to it yet.

Once he was dropped he shouldn't have been brought back until he'd earned it with WAFL form and from all accounts his WAFL games have been poor.

You've got a skinny young kid lacking confidence and playing poorly in the WAFL... so what do you do? Throw him back to the lions at AFL level. Great man management.

I'd much rather he gets thrown to the wolves and has to swim for his life in an AFL game than strolling around in the WAFL. The more used to AFL pace they are the better imo.

Was a ridiculous selection, surely it's evident on the track that Roberton and now Pitt are a long, long way from AFL standard at present?

You don't say?

Seriously, pick 20 in an already compromised draft is supposed to be the equivalent of Nick Dal Santo now in his first year?

Peter Matera did not play AFL until he was 21.
In the first year he was played, he played 6 games only IIRC.

Peter Matera debuted 20 years ago.

Footy is different now. It is rare that a player can play so poorly in their debut year and become a top class player.

The stats are stark. Nine possessions (only Pavlich had fewer for Freo), five clangers (most on ground), 44% efficiency (worst on ground). It's not like he is burning up the WAFL either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back