Jayden Pitt - Pick 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Matera debuted 20 years ago.

Footy is different now. It is rare that a player can play so poorly in their debut year and become a top class player.

The stats are stark. Nine possessions (only Pavlich had fewer for Freo), five clangers (most on ground), 44% efficiency (worst on ground). It's not like he is burning up the WAFL either.
I can think of a few off the top of my head that have been poor and are now class players.

Sylvia, Griffen, Josh Kennedy, Ben Reid, Jack Riewoldt, Daniel Wells and Jared Brennan.

There are also plenty of guys who have shown a lot in their first year and have gone on to stagnate or do nothing.

Shows you the modern age of AFL where players are expected to be stars as soon as they are drafted, such is the fascination with youth. He's a kid, he looks like a kid, give him 2 years before you cast judgement on him ffs.

Half of those players you've listed are talls, who generally take more time.

And it's debatable whether Wells/Brennan should be listed there. Still far too inconsistent. Same goes for Sylvia.

Pitt's disposal and decision making is terrible, and it's meant to be his asset. That's what sticks out for me. It is worse than any player we've drafted in the past four years - even Hinkley.

I attended a bit of training pre-season.

I suspect a lot of the variability is nerves and picking up the pace...You notice how much time he had in his pre-draft highlights reel. Using his footy brain to get where he needs to be. He doesn't have that now, doesn't get that time

His disposal at training was a sight to behold...off both feet. Probably only Michael Walters was better.

It'll come

I'd much rather he gets thrown to the wolves and has to swim for his life in an AFL game than strolling around in the WAFL. The more used to AFL pace they are the better imo.

You have to learn to walk before you can run. No point throwing someone into the pace of AFL when they can't even handle the pace of WAFL yet.

You have to learn to walk before you can run. No point throwing someone into the pace of AFL when they can't even handle the pace of WAFL yet.

“If you want to learn to swim jump into the water. On dry land no frame of mind is ever going to help you”
~Bruce Lee

I actually agree with you Esti, but I've been wanting to use that quote for a while now...

In hindsight he should've been held back until he earned it. Was it really a surprise that he debuted in round 1 to anyone though? Hill, then Morabito both debuted in R1 and Palmer supposedly only waited until R2 because he was getting ahead of himself. Harvey does not rate the WAFL and he doesn't care how good/bad players perform at that level. For better or worse, what someone does at training seems far more important to him.

He's getting games based on his dedication to training i've read somewhere. Not from WAFL form.

Understandable when you consider that Perth didn't play him due to late notice that he'd be released from the Freo emergency list, and then Perth had the bye in the WAFL the next week.

Sh*t timing and bad luck. Not much the kid could do about either.

Glad that he got a game. Don't think he did all that well, but happy to have him keep playing for the next two. We're going to lose this coming week, and (based on form, injuries and Eade being sacked) will probably get beaten by the Dogs as well. I'd rather get a couple of games into the kid and see if he can improve.

Half of those players you've listed are talls, who generally take more time.

And it's debatable whether Wells/Brennan should be listed there. Still far too inconsistent. Same goes for Sylvia.

Pitt's disposal and decision making is terrible, and it's meant to be his asset. That's what sticks out for me. It is worse than any player we've drafted in the past four years - even Hinkley.

Come on Clay. That is a massive over reaction. The kid has issues with disposal under pressure, but has class in space. The class under pressure will come with experience.

And Hinkley has had several years to improve his decision making and disposal, in AFL and WAFL games. It's still pretty average at times. Comparing a skinny first year player that has had a handful of AFL level games with Hinkley is misleading.

Hill, then Morabito both debuted in R1 and Palmer supposedly only waited until R2 because he was getting ahead of himself*. Harvey does not rate the WAFL and he doesn't care how good/bad players perform at that level. For better or worse, what someone does at training seems far more important to him.

* where did you get that from? Palmer was killing it at training. I thought it was pretty clear that in a very conservative selection move Harvey preferred M Carr, Dodd, Schammer, Mark Johnson, MacManus, Gilmore, Solomon etc. Pretty hard to get a game ahead of players of that quality!

If we'd won that game instead getting comfortably beaten who knows when Palmer may have debuted.

Realistically if we had played a red-hot Palmer in that game we may have won it.

Ive watched Pitt in the WAFL and at that level he pulls some of absolutely stunningly good decisions and skill making.

good decision making relies not only on interpreting what opposition players will do but also your own teams approach. I believe the difference is that at AFL level there is so little structure to how we play that it makes it very difficult to interpret. and I believe that is why players such as. Suban and now Pitt, whilst having reputations at lower levels for great decision making, don't show it immediately at the next level.

* where did you get that from? Palmer was killing it at training. I thought it was pretty clear that in a very conservative selection move Harvey preferred M Carr, Dodd, Schammer, Mark Johnson, MacManus, Gilmore, Solomon etc. Pretty hard to get a game ahead of players of that quality!

F*ck me. I'd forgotten how dire our midfield was 3 or 4 years ago.

Chris f*cking Connolly, come on down.

How much better does our midfield look now.

F*ck me. I'd forgotten how dire our midfield was 3 or 4 years ago.

Chris f*cking Connolly, come on down.

How much better does our midfield look now.

Things change but:
Matthew Carr - (current) Michael Johnson
Steven Dodd - (current) Paul Duffield
Byron Schammer - (current) Clayton Hinkley
Mark Johnson - (current) Adam McPhee
Shaun McManus - (current) Rhys Palmer
Gilmore - (current) Dylan Roberton
Dean Solomon - (current) Ryan Crowley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Things change but:
Matthew Carr - (current) Michael Johnson
Steven Dodd - (current) Paul Duffield
Byron Schammer - (current) Clayton Hinkley
Mark Johnson - (current) Adam McPhee
Shaun McManus - (current) Rhys Palmer
Gilmore - (current) Dylan Roberton
Dean Solomon - (current) Ryan Crowley

Nice work Ysaye. How many of those players did Harvey sign or resign?

was happy with the way he played today - thought he showed more of the poise that he was drafted for.

was happy with the way he played today - thought he showed more of the poise that he was drafted for.

He needs to hit the gym in the off-season though. Looks smaller than Fyfe/Hill when they started.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back