Delisted Jed Adcock (2003-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss still a sounding board for Lions skipper Adcock

BRISBANE Lions captain Jed Adcock still talks to Michael Voss about his footy, and the former coach remains good mates with a number of players.

Voss returned to the club last week for the first time since being sacked last August, to accept his induction to Legend status at the club's Hall of Fame night.
The three-time premiership captain spoke openly about what the club meant to him and how his latest honour was the highest individual accolade he had received. Adcock said he was delighted to see Voss back in the fold after what had obviously been a difficult initial period for him following the sacking.
"It was good for him to come back to the footy club after what happened last year, and he left it behind and put the bigger picture ahead," Adcock said.
Voss was Adcock's first captain in the AFL, and the current Lions leader said he still called upon his former mentor at times. "I chat to him every now and then, I'll give him a call," Adcock said. "I worked pretty closely with him the last few years as a leader of this footy club. "We've got a good relationship and we'll continue to have that. We'll talk when we need to talk and talk footy when we need to talk footy. "I think early it was important for him to let 'Leppa' be the coach and let him take this footy club in the way he needed to, and Vossy definitely took a step back for a while, but he'll remain good mates to a lot of us."

Adcock implored the current group of young players to learn lessons from Voss and Hall of Fame inductees Darryl White, Chris Johnson, Chris Scott and Shaun Hart. All five spoke last week about the hard times they faced early in Brisbane, before going on to play in multiple premierships many years later.
"A lot of them got to the club and played in three wooden spoons in four years," he said.

I've been critical of Jed as captain this year but watching the highlights from yesterday (full replay just about to start :) ), Adcock's goal was the turning point. Certainly watching live, it was the point when I stood up and punched the air, believing we could win. Captain's goal, right at the crucial moment :thumbsu:

Agreed. Who do you have to **** to get on the plays of the week? Just brilliant.

Adcocktackle_zpse525ac8c.gif

He cops a lot from many Lions supporters but he consistently does his job and believe it or not he is clearly a fantastic leader around the club. He may not be a flashy player but he has been a loyal, high contributor to the club and he is closing in on 200 games. I think he will surprise a fair few on here with his club champion finish.

During the Rising Star Award, a young player from another team who had suffered a serious injury (can't remember who) mentioned that Adcock called him up and chatted to him to give some advice and comfort him. Even sent him a few medical creams that helped the young bloke out. Other guys who did the same were Joel Selwood and Barlow.

Think this is one of the unsung reasons why he's a captain. If he does this for some bloke on another team, just think about the commitment and dedication he gives to the playing group at the Lions.

So glad we have him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personification of a captain's goal.

On that point, I've really warmed to Jed as captain and hope he continues on in that role as the sole captain.

Lions go back to the future

RETURNING to their original merged guernsey for season 2015, the Brisbane Lions have almost completed a 180 degree flip from one of their darkest periods 12 months ago.

Captain Jed Adcock said it was a combination of on and off-field improvements that had helped the club begin to right the ship. He said one of its most important steps was listening to members. "They make your footy club," Adcock said. "The members are the voice of the club and it's important to hear the voice and put into action what they want. "People (at the club) seem a bit happier, whether that's winning a few games late in the year you don't know, but things just seem to be in a good place."

JedRockyJumper2015.jpg

Brisbane defender Jed Adcock throws his full support behind newly minted captain Tom Rockliff

JED Adcock admits he was disappointed to lose the Brisbane captaincy but has thrown his full support behind new skipper Tom Rockliff.

Adcock shared captaincy duties with Jonathan Brown in 2013 before being sole skipper last season but the defender has been replaced by All-Australian Rockliff after the club went through a voting process in the off-season.

Adcock said it had been only a matter of time until dual club champion Rockliff took the reins and he was embracing his new mentoring role for the club’s young leadership group that includes vice-captains Daniel Rich, Dayne Zorko and Pearce Hanley.

So, what's everyone's thoughts on a potential role change for Adcock this season? Would be great to see him play as that mid/hf type player. I loved his pressure last week against the Saints. IIRC, it was Vossy that turned him into a half back player, and that wasn't that long ago, so I think he might just adjust to the new role nicely if need be.

So, what's everyone's thoughts on a potential role change for Adcock this season? Would be great to see him play as that mid/hf type player. I loved his pressure last week against the Saints. IIRC, it was Vossy that turned him into a half back player, and that wasn't that long ago, so I think he might just adjust to the new role nicely if need be.

I think/hope he'll be part of the plan to get Rich free as often as possible. He can go back and provide a chop out.

I think/hope he'll be part of the plan to get Rich free as often as possible. He can go back and provide a chop out.
Our flexibility off half back is the key. We've got two players in Claye and Richy who are perfectly capable of playing a few positions, then to have Adcock potentially playing a MID/HF role and be used as a back-up when necessary, it'll cause nothing but headaches for the opposition.

Only question is if Leppa and the coaches are willing to do it.

Yup I think it suits us better not only now but into the longer run. In the best 22 for 2015 thread I made a comment that Adcock could only really be in the team now if he can play further up the ground rotating down back. He has been overtaken by Rich and Beams as a rebounding flanker so he had to add another string to his bow. He looked great IMO vs Saints considering his new role and the usual early season blues.

Our team is very flexible now, actually probably one of the most flexible in the comp when you consider that the only players that can't play in the midfield/wings are our KPPs... even Martin a ruckman can play as a midfielder!

Lions happy to wait on Leuenberger's contract talks

Schwab said the Lions were waiting to hear back from Adcock on their new contract offer.

"We're certainly talking to Jed's management so we'd hopefully get something done this year," Schwab said.

"He's got an offer so that's a good start."

Having qualified as a restricted free agent in 2012, Adcock is set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back