Jonathon Patton vs Tom Boyd vs Joe Daniher vs Jesse Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salmon went all right. I think he even made Hawks team of the century after just a couple of seasons, so they must have factored in his career at Essendon.

He made it as a ruckman, which kind of backs up his point

Point is the hype surrounding Daniher this time last year was massive. He was meant to be better than Patton in every which way imaginable. It happens every year tho. Draftees are hyped up like a rolling snowball gaining momentum, only to vanish when said draftee begins to play in the AFL. Daniher was the most hyped up kid I can remember (granted I've only been following the game with a close eye a few years), yet now nobody talks about him. I don't think Boyd or Hogan have been hyped up quite as much as Daniher was (although each has earned a considerable amount), yet my point is we'll never really know until they begin to fulfil their potential in 5+ years time.

Genuinely asking because I don't know, but might that have had a bit to do with his surname? What if the other options were named Jesse Lyon, Tom Kernahan and Jonathan Modra? Not doubting any of these guys as players, but when you hear about a once-in-a-generation key forward coming along every draft, you sort of tune that talk out, to an extent.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/K/Kurt_Tippett.html

And I said Kurt tippet. 2.9 goals a game is elite.

The bar for forwards has not fallen far enough that 11 possessions and 2.9 goals a game over a half season makes one an elite forward.

Genuinely asking because I don't know, but might that have had a bit to do with his surname? What if the other options were named Jesse Lyon, Tom Kernahan and Jonathan Modra? Not doubting any of these guys as players, but when you hear about a once-in-a-generation key forward coming along every draft, you sort of tune that talk out, to an extent.

Surname probably helped but many experts considered him the best talent in the draft and the number one pick if father / son didn't exist. End of the day a surname can only carry you so far and talent is what he was being judged on.

Surname probably helped but many experts considered him the best talent in the draft and the number one pick if father / son didn't exist. End of the day a surname can only carry you so far and talent is what he was being judged on.

But we're comparing him to guys like Boyd and Patton, who were also overwhelmingly considered to be the best prospects in their draft years.

I guess my point is F/S picks generate interest among club supporters, no matter who they are. That interest goes pretty much league-wide, when the player is a top-10 talent. And if the player has one of the five most famous surnames in the history of the club, it's something that can make the hype explode.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All I can say is I'm looking forward to seeing Jessie back in WA very soon.

It will be between Hogan and Danniher .

Bookmark Liam McBean. His results in the VFL played there by the club for his development is on par if not exceeded Hogan this year. He is going to be a ripper.

Hogan was double teamed in games this season, Mcbean never was, Hogan can mark, Mcbean can't.
Hogan had around 20 odd more contested marks than McBean, which is why Hogan has a serious presence on field.
Very rarely you see a elite KPF who can't mark very well, Buddy is about the only 1 I can think of.

Hogan was double teamed in games this season, Mcbean never was, Hogan can mark, Mcbean can't.
Hogan had around 20 odd more contested marks than McBean, which is why Hogan has a serious presence on field.
Very rarely you see a elite KPF who can't mark very well, Buddy is about the only 1 I can think of.

What a crock of horseshit. You have what seen Mcbean play what once? and that's me giving you credit you don't deserve. Ease up on the gear mate, its doing funny stuff to your brain :p

What a crock of horseshit. You have what seen Mcbean play what once? and that's me giving you credit you don't deserve. Ease up on the gear mate, its doing funny stuff to your brain :p

So I take it you think Mcbean is a really good mark?

As a footballer id go Hogan, on potential Boyd.

Daniher is weird. He's just so narrow through the hips that his agility and lateral strength might not ever be there. Looks good in straight lines and on the lead. I think he'll have to be a second ruck, rather than a dedicated KPF. :confused:

That makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

As another has pointed out, Buddy's waist is tiny, turns blokes inside out. So is Cameron, all for lateral thinking but that's just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back