Josh Rachele (2024): 4 CBA’s After 5 Rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks and the coaches are too scared to do that.

We are struggling, so they revert to the conservative approach of putting Laird/Crouch/Dawson at most CBAs

Even though it isn't working.

This tells me he is not the coach to take us further. Too scared to back in the younger, and more naturally talented, group.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's only following the club ethos.

It's like a pyramid scheme. Once you get elevated above "Crusher" status, you get your overly generous contract (see Milera, Fog, ROB) and the knowledge you can't be dropped. Once you reach top tier status, you get a share in a pub and a media role.

That's been our club philosophy for a very long time and probably always will be.

The mix just has to change, there's 4 rounds of evidence and it's very clear to see the mix is not resulting in scores. We are not generating any marks inside 50 with the current main trio of Dawson, Laird and Crouch (the number is astronomically low to this point).

Dawson and Soligo should be the main two that are seeing 80%+ of CBAs per game, Crouch 40% and then a mix of Dowling, Rankine, Rachele and Pedlar taking up the rest. Laird to a HBF and only goes in there if we are really struggling on the inside.

Why is it that both our "prime" coalface mids, Laird and Crouch, had less than 70% time on ground against Melb? Rotating the two? What a waste of a spot, especially with Berry as sub. And still no time for Rash at CBA. Crazy selection and match day management.

Who said anything about turning Rash into an inside mid? Why would you want to do that? His clearances aren't the Crouch/Laird type, he actually hits the ball at pace.
People were referring to him attending centre bounces (literally the title of the thread), I was pointing out that I don’t think that’s a good idea.

I’m open to him playing some wing time, but realistically, we drafted a forward.

Why is it that both our "prime" coalface mids, Laird and Crouch, had less than 70% time on ground against Melb? Rotating the two? What a waste of a spot, especially with Berry as sub. And still no time for Rash at CBA. Crazy selection and match day management.

There are 3 spots available therefore 3 x 100% = 300%

Now 59% was taken by Dawson, 73% by Laird and 55% by Crouch = 187% so the remaining 113% was taken up by Soligo 59% and 27% each by Berry and Rankine.

We want Dawson in there predominantly so assuming we give him 75-80% the remaining 220-225% needs to be taken by our remaining midfielders.

People were referring to him attending centre bounces (literally the title of the thread), I was pointing out that I don’t think that’s a good idea.

I’m open to him playing some wing time, but realistically, we drafted a forward.
Go back and watch rounds 3-6 last year

There are 3 spots available therefore 3 x 100% = 300%

Now 59% was taken by Dawson, 73% by Laird and 55% by Crouch = 187% so the remaining 113% was taken up by Soligo 59% and 27% each by Berry and Rankine.

We want Dawson in there predominantly so assuming we give him 75-80% the remaining 220-225% needs to be taken by our remaining midfielders.
My point is far too much of plodders. Only one of Crouch or Laird is required and more of Rash ( and Rankine)

This screams to me Craig refusing to play Danger in the middle.. Sando comes in following year, Danger moves into the middle and becomes elite.
Yep, at this point I don't think much is going to change unless a) we only have a couple of wins after more than half a season and Nicks has no other option or b) we move Nicks on if he still refuses to change if the first scenario occurs. The coaching panel are too stubborn at this point, which to me is screaming out that they are past their use by date here.

I don't see any major rumblings about a coaching change coming until finals are 100% out of the equation, because there is nothing to hide behind then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, at this point I don't think much is going to change unless a) we only have a couple of wins after more than half a season and Nicks has no other option or b) we move Nicks on if he still refuses to change if the first scenario occurs. The coaching panel are too stubborn at this point, which to me is screaming out that they are past their use by date here.

I don't see any major rumblings about a coaching change coming until finals are 100% out of the equation, because there is nothing to hide behind then.
even then they wont make a change cause they will look stupid.

Rachelle on 5AA this morning again being asked about the midfield. Again saying he would like to and by the hints sounds like he might but we’ve heard that before.

Ironically Port had a similar problem when they recruited Tom Rockcliff.

They struggled to try and find a way to fit both he and Wines into the same side. The only time that Rockcliff shone at Port was during the absence of Wines in 2019 and Wines had that breakthrough season in 2021 once Rockcliff was no longer playing. Playing both seemed to be a waste of a position in the side

So as much as Nicks is obsessed with inside mids and contested ball, there's only so much inside ball to win and when you fill your midfield with inside mids the balance is all wrong and the result aint pretty.

We are not generating any marks inside 50 with the current main trio of Dawson, Laird and Crouch (the number is astronomically low to this point).
It's been the theme of the year. To say our forward 50 is a mess is understating it.

We are 18th for average marks inside 50. And it's not even close.
1. Port: 17
8. Essendon: 10.8
16. West Coast: 9.5
17: Collingwood: 9.4
18. Adelaide: 6.5

The 2nd and 3rd worst teams for marks inside 50 still average 45% more than us. Our forward line is a rabble.

My point is far too much of plodders. Only one of Crouch or Laird is required and more of Rash ( and Rankine)
Exactly - our midfield balance is wrong & is a factor in our poor ball movement.

The role Rachele played tonight is the role he should play. And that ain’t a CBA player. Attending 2 a game seems about right.

The sharp increase in CBA’s for Rankine and Soligo is a huge step in the right direction. We’ll find out next week what life looks like in there with Berry replacing Crouch’s (suspended) CBA’s.

Personally, I’d like to see Pedlar come in as the sub and used in the same way Berry was used tonight (ie CBA’s in the 4th qtr).

The inevitable Crouch suspension gives Laird a reprieve, but when Crouch is available again, it really should be Laird who he replaces at this point.

Disagree Hulu. They took a good step tonight obviously, but it could be even better with Rach mixing it up also...

Laird/Crouch are not irreplaceable, they can and should be dropped entirely instead of just reduced, making more room.

Room, not just for Rash, but Pedlar, and maybe a young bloke coming up?

Rachele was great tonight. Absolutely loved his play to set up Keays' third goal, brilliant handball to Crouch over the top of a defender after grabbing it from Gollant's hitout. Opened up the play and directly resulted in a goal. Hopefully something we see more of in the future as he plays more through the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back