Jumper clash fails

GWS v Adelaide was a hate crime.

You can't wear a whole stack of yellow and red against a team in orange.

That said, the Giants don't make it easy. They are predominately dark (black, grey, charcoal whatever it is) on the front and orange on the back.

It's a lesser version of the disaster that is the Port jumper. You can't be dark on one side and light on the other and make it easy for teams to choose clash strips if their clash is based around a light/dark variation.

GWS have never really decided if the want to be orange or if they want to be charcoal. Although mercifully they finally got their heads around the Swans clash which for years made me feel physically ill watching orange and red bleed from my tv.

They don’t make it easy but it’s still fairly do-able.

1679318414488.jpeg

And every club does it's just a matter of if they actually wear it or not in the instances they should
I don't think North have one. Both their home and away jumpers are white with blue stripes. The away has the bounding kangaroo.

Their store has a blue jumper but it looks like a training one.

it shouldn't be hard. all teams have a light and a dark strip, home club chooses, visiting club wears the opposite. somehow we have one club telling other clubs what the can and can't wear though so it's no surprise something as logical as this wont work.
It's not even as simple as that as the AFL has allowed clubs to have jumpers which are both light and dark.

How do you design a clash around that?

Clubs are too fearful from using colours which aren't theirs.

There needs to be a 3rd jumper option, with a colour scheme that doesn't exist on your other jumpers.

It's not even as simple as that as the AFL has allowed clubs to have jumpers which are both light and dark.

How do you design a clash around that?

Clubs are too fearful from using colours which aren't theirs.

There needs to be a 3rd jumper option, with a colour scheme that doesn't exist on your other jumpers.
I'm not suggesting they use current jumpers, that they design a light and a dark. Sorry, thought it was obvious.

I don't think North have one. Both their home and away jumpers are white with blue stripes. The away has the bounding kangaroo.

Their store has a blue jumper but it looks like a training one.
Oh yep great pickup there haha, you're right they don't. They have the benefit that the only team their home kit clashes with is Geelong, who will presumably be forced to wear their clash instead because North has no suitable clash themselves.

Their clash kit is more white than their home, meaning it clashes even more with the only team they actually clash with - huge fail.

Jumper clashes are back better than ever.
Tonight’s is as bad as GWS vs Adelaide last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Here I am bitching about Melbourne's clash jumper... must mean Easter's round the corner.

So, again I will ask: why are you trying to make your clash jumper as much like your regular home jumper as possible? Haven't we moved on from the nervous early steps towards clash jumpers with Richmond's side panels and Essendon's fat sash? Shouldn't we at least be able to count on teams having a clash jumper (and even a third option if/as required) that frigging does the job? Melbourne should be wearing a clash for away games against the Dogs, only, whoops... their clash is basically the Dogs strip.

As it stands we have teams who refuse to wear clash jumpers against traditional rivals and teams who don't even have a satisfactory clash jumper at all. In 2023.

Oh yep great pickup there haha, you're right they don't. They have the benefit that the only team their home kit clashes with is Geelong, who will presumably be forced to wear their clash instead because North has no suitable clash themselves.

Their clash kit is more white than their home, meaning it clashes even more with the only team they actually clash with - huge fail.
The thing I don't quite get is that if we'd gone the traditional bounding roo, the one with the yoke and the blue back + number panel, it would actually solve the Geelong clash better + move merch more than the new white one. But I maintain that the reason we've chosen this jumper combination is that if we'd kept the inverse stripes jumper for that clash, the AFL would've pressured us to wear it in home games and we don't want to be put in that position again.

Anyway, i reckon if Geelong wear navy shorts our white clash strip is different enough that no one would actually have trouble with the matchup. We're wearing a much lighter shade of blue these days and Geelong's blue is closer to black.

The thing I don't quite get is that if we'd gone the traditional bounding roo, the one with the yoke and the blue back + number panel, it would actually solve the Geelong clash better + move merch more than the new white one. But I maintain that the reason we've chosen this jumper combination is that if we'd kept the inverse stripes jumper for that clash, the AFL would've pressured us to wear it in home games and we don't want to be put in that position again.

Anyway, i reckon if Geelong wear navy shorts our white clash strip is different enough that no one would actually have trouble with the matchup. We're wearing a much lighter shade of blue these days and Geelong's blue is closer to black.
Orange bounding roo for away v Geelong

The solution would be for your to wear your darker version (the white stripes on a blue base) with blue shorts and have Geelong wear white shorts. Or, for Geelong to actually make a clash uniform. It’s funny how Collingwood cop flak for supposedly not having one when they do but Geelong gets away with wearing a jumper that clashes with North’s.

The solution would be for your to wear your darker version (the white stripes on a blue base) with blue shorts and have Geelong wear white shorts. Or, for Geelong to actually make a clash uniform. It’s funny how Collingwood cop flak for supposedly not having one when they do but Geelong gets away with wearing a jumper that clashes with North’s.

Geelong has a clash jumper and wore it in the away game in 2022 against North. I'd be the first to admit it isn't perfect: still too much white on the front and hooped sleeves on a clash jumper are ridiculous when you think about it. I'd like Geelong to go ultra radical with a clash/third jumper and have a completely different primary colour on it.

1679782120128.png

Having said that, "not perfect" is a hell of a lot better than the absolute shitshow we were treated to in the return fixture in Geelong. It was so bad that even the commentators said something about it... I figured the commentators must be threatened with instant dismissal if they bring up jumper clashes during a telecast.

1679782667956.png

I’m sure I read Geelong wore maroon/red jumpers in the early years of the club. So maroon would be the perfect alternative, I designed these years ago do all clubs in alt colours.

View attachment 1640087View attachment 1640088

Wore red a lot from 1859 to 1871.

“Initially blue shirts were worn”

“After a few games Red was chosen as too many other clubs also wore Blue”​

Lol… so there was an issue identified 164 years ago and we’re yet to properly address it 😂😂😂

This thread in a nutshell

Could be just me but dont think this Brisbane v Melbourne match is pleasing to the eye. Just the long shots. There are way worse ones in the AFL mind you.

I swear, Melbournes clash seems to keep getting darker and darker.

Yeah it’s rubbish. Melbourne need a light coloured clash strip. Just another AFL fail.

I’m sure I read Geelong wore maroon/red jumpers in the early years of the club. So maroon would be the perfect alternative, I designed these years ago do all clubs in alt colours.

View attachment 1640087View attachment 1640088

By all means use one of those examples with a bit of a historical context, though that old shield logo has given way to the cat silhouette on a shield or the simple 'G' logo as the preferred branding for the on field uniform.

But, really... the club (and I'm sure pretty much every club) puts out a garish number like this every year, presumably so they can do match simulations against a group wearing standard Geelong colours without any confusion. You'd think the logic extension would be pretty clear.

Geelong has a clash jumper and wore it in the away game in 2022 against North. I'd be the first to admit it isn't perfect: still too much white on the front and hooped sleeves on a clash jumper are ridiculous when you think about it. I'd like Geelong to go ultra radical with a clash/third jumper and have a completely different primary colour on it.

View attachment 1640043

Having said that, "not perfect" is a hell of a lot better than the absolute shitshow we were treated to in the return fixture in Geelong. It was so bad that even the commentators said something about it... I figured the commentators must be threatened with instant dismissal if they bring up jumper clashes during a telecast.

View attachment 1640052

North don’t have a clash strip

Geelong’s needs to be darker

Again, we got rid of the inverse strip because the last time we tried to introduce it as an alternate jumper the AFL eventually pushed us into wearing it as a full time home, and we'd like to avoid that happening again.

Again, we got rid of the inverse strip because the last time we tried to introduce it as an alternate jumper the AFL eventually pushed us into wearing it as a full time home, and we'd like to avoid that happening again.

The blue with a white vee one that North wore as a heritage and briefly repurposed (with the Kangaroo logo at the time) as a clash wouldn't be a bad option, I reckon.

Back