News Karl Amon departs for Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s a reason why Amon won the time trial every year. In order to play wing in the AFL, you have to have an insane fitness base, because you’re being asked to deliver the ball inside 50 AND drop into defensive 50 and provide cover for your defenders.

We’ve got plenty of options - Houston, Farrell, Bergman, Sinn, Duursma. It’s not an issue.
Houston needs a rocket to play wing, he lacks pace and stamina.. Dumont has the years in the legs out of that bunch with duurs on the other wing I am guessing.

Bergs and Sinn need a few more preseasons to compete at that level for extended periods of time.

It's going to be awkward when Hawthorn still beat us next year.
Hawks will be lucky to beat anyone next year.

Their 22 is woeful, and just a regular amount of injuries and they would be beatable by a state league team having a good day.

They’re basically tanking, tho they’ll get away with it.

Their spine will be koz, Lewis, meek, frost and Grainger-barrass who should be years away from actually taking a key post.

Their midfield is Newcombe, worpel, Amon and hoping kids in ward McGuinness and insert pick 6 (or whatever it is) will be up to the heavy task in front of them.

They’ll likely get smacked by a woeful Adelaide team.

If that hawks team wins more than 2 games next year I can only assume teams didn’t bother showing up at all.

The "Jared Polec School of Getting Paid to literally Do Nothing as the Club is going no where for the Duration of the New Contract", the old JPSOGPTLDNATCIGNWFTDOTNC

Amon must of gone to Hinkley motors when he decided to go to the Hawks... Got sold a lemon.
Have this mob got anyone left?

Amon looking for Hawthorn players at the preseason training.

Hungry Thanksgiving GIF by Looney Tunes

Karl’s move was a really interesting decision in hindsight.

He is 28 this year and the Hawks won’t contend in his career. He basically signed up to support a rebuild.

Can’t help but wonder if the Hawks told him they were doing a ground zero rebuild before he signed and if so whether he may have chosen a stronger Victorian Club as you’d want to be paid very handsomely to play for the Hawks at the moment.

Yeah I bet in hindsight he is thinking I should had accepted less money and gone to a better club. Shame he spent most of career under Hinkley as coach and now has to be in a bottom 4 club for the rest of his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking about this the other day, I remember the club being pi55ed that we only got 3rd tier compo due to the contract structure (low base). Do we look to do the same with any free agents we are looking at? Clubs with tight caps would struggle to match but we could miss players from rebuilding clubs which have cap space.

I was thinking about this the other day, I remember the club being pi55ed that we only got 3rd tier compo due to the contract structure (low base). Do we look to do the same with any free agents we are looking at? Clubs with tight caps would struggle to match but we could miss players from rebuilding clubs which have cap space.
One day I will understand how it works. We got pick 27 (third tier) and I thought a factor was his age (27 years) and if he was younger, then we would have received a higher pick. Or am I just not anywhere close to how it works.

Edit: Impey is the one that really gets me. In the game on the weekend I thought Impey > Amon >> Wingard

He got the money he wanted to set himself up. He got to go home to his family. Live in Melbourne as an AFL player. Big win for Karl, good on him.

He was a fringe player 4 years ago and he's turned his story into above. Nice work Karl.

agree

he did the right thing for port when he donned the port guernsey. We got the benefit of his continuous improvement as a player and trade value when he departed.

he decided to move on for whatever reason and all parties benefited from his professional and mature approach he went about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back