Key Position Player Crisis

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think Jaksch will be a good un. Needs some time but there have been some good signs.
Really needs some time in the gym. In hindsight this year was probably going to be a development year.

Would be pretty happy if we landed Weitering, Curnow, Mckay and Weideman. The mids in this draft are not much chop so not a bad idea on loading up on KPP I reckon. Go for Mids next year.

Would be pretty happy if we landed Weitering, Curnow, Mckay and Weideman. The mids in this draft are not much chop so not a bad idea on loading up on KPP I reckon. Go for Mids next year.
Agree, as long as it doesn't reflect our last draft where we loaded on kpp. In terms of mids.. Next year we'll have Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps, Graham, Thomas, Boekhurst, Curnow, Bell whom are handy enough... And who knows who else we may snag in the draft.

If we secure Weitering in the ND and Carlisle in the PSD it would be an enormous kick start to our rebuild .
The pick gained from trading Henderson should be used on Curnow or Weideman .
So looking forward , we could have Carlisle and Weitering as KPD and Giles as third rebounding tall defender .
Casboult , Jaksch and Curnow/Weideman/Foster as our KPF with Silvagni the mid size type forward .
Please not Carlisle , the last thing we need is another dummy spitter

Jamo is fine, still wins the one on ones and takes the gorillas...

As for our CHB, not up to it...

Need to go after the Essendon lad in the preseason draft!

Our defence is the worst in the AFL.. We need to reinforce it. Surely the time is ripe to put henderson down back to see how he and jamo go together..
I absolutely do not want henderson to leave. That would be sending us backwards and would largely negate any advance coming from the draft this year..
Rowe has surprised me. I was hoping he would improve further on last year, instead he appears to have gone backward.
Weitering wpuld be a big pick up for us. I would try him in the forward line like jeremy cameron.
A spine of casboult weitering henderson jamo would be ok. But it must be supplemented by some good running players. We need some more class in our midfield.

Respectfully disagree. More importantly by some way we need quality mids and heaps of them. We are about 8 short. It's far more of a running game now, forward set ups are vastly different to yester year. Our KPP aren't great, but not diabolical and are significantly less crucial to us heading back up the ladder than our lack of quality mids.

if we're going to be terrible one way or the other, need to pick the talls before the shorts. our shiny new midfield will have no-one to kick to. jamison and rowe don't have too many years left in the game. if you give yourself 5 years to develop a set of talls, we'll just delay the end result of a rebuild if we pick them last.

i understand your point though - it's a decent midfield that at least keeps us competitive, rather than being an all-round poor team. we pretty much lack quality everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget we're getting young SOSOS via F/S, but obviously he'll spend much of 2016 in the VFL.

His stock seems have to risen a bit during the last carnival, I assume we'll probably have to cough up a third rounder for him.(bit confused with this new points bidding system, what a headache)

Jeesh it does look quite grim.

We will need to secure Weitering if not then Francis.

I dont know whats worse our forward line or back?
Can I ask what type of player Francis is. I know Weitering would be a great pick up and one we desperately need but haven't seen the write up about the other one.
I'm not going to bang on about our poor KPP recruiting cause i've been bangin on about it for so long, but I really really hope Jaksch ends up being ok.

Can I ask what type of player Francis is. I know Weitering would be a great pick up and one we desperately need but haven't seen the write up about the other one.
I'm not going to bang on about our poor KPP recruiting cause i've been bangin on about it for so long, but I really really hope Jaksch ends up being ok.

My knowledge of the draft this year isnt that great, you would find others here with more knowledge.

However francis is a KPD but a little on the smaller side (192cm i think) in comparison with Weitering who seems to be better built and taller.

I think we need to sort out our backline before we look to any other parts of the group our KPD are failing more and more

Francis - as feffs mentioned, is a shortish KPD.

to make up for that, he is reportedly a competitive beast, has some of the best disposal / decision making skills in his class and is versatile. Very strong at reading the play and is elite intercept mark.

In one champs match, he went forward and kicked 4.5. Has not been convincing in the middle but could potentially become a strong bodied midfielder if left there.

That's a lot of positives. I guess the question marks are whether he will ever make it
as a midfielder and if he is tall enough for KPP.

Based off what I have read and the limited I have seen, he sounds a bit like Pavlich in terms of build / skills.

Please not Carlisle , the last thing we need is another dummy spitter

Please not Carlisle, the last thing we need is a 24 (in October) year old who can't play for two years.

You take Paris, I'll take Berlin..........
And every disco i get in !

Dave Astbury could be looking to move maybe,
24 yo 195 cm 98 kg, played 40 games but missed 3 years with a knee injury (not reconstruction) had a knee cap that kept slipping out of place and was sorted last year . He was leading our BF until injured rnd 10 i believe

Our Defence looks pretty settled and Dave might me looking for opportunity elswhere, Rumours that Leppa had a lot do do with him and rates him highly but maybe would prefer to stay in melb

Last edited:
Yup. KPP's in short supply and we gave up the pick we could have used to draft Jake Lever. I'm so happy SOS is here in this regard. Seems he values having plenty of KPP's up his sleeve judging by how he stacked them at GWS. Would be awesome if we could kick off rebuilding this area of our list with a bloke like Weitering.

Fair thread.

Jamo (cooked)
Rowe (let's be honest, not a great option, but will do a job when there's no one else available)
Hendo (gone)
Cas (best suited as 3rd tall/pinch hitting in the ruck).

Eek, going to pretty messy over the next few years unless we get a few ready-made ones.

Casboult is better suited at CHF where he can run at the ball and use his bulk.Just needs time to learn to play the position. When he is stuck in the square he just gets swamped and the way the ball comes in is a joke. He is not a ruckman.

Casboult is better suited at CHF where he can run at the ball and use his bulk.Just needs time to learn to play the position. When he is stuck in the square he just gets swamped and the way the ball comes in is a joke. He is not a ruckman.
He doesn't find enough of the ball to be a lead up CHF. Getting a mismatch as a 3rd tall is his best bet.

We have a very good CHB, unfortunately we refuse to play him there. Has good disposal there and can read the ball well, 2 things we lack.

But it looks like we will let him go to play better football at another club in a position he can make his own. If we chase Carlisle and pay him more than what we would have payed Hendo, I feel things have not changed in our recruiting department.

We have a very good CHB, unfortunately we refuse to play him there. Has good disposal there and can read the ball well, 2 things we lack.

But it looks like we will let him go to play better football at another club in a position he can make his own. If we chase Carlisle and pay him more than what we would have payed Hendo, I feel things have not changed in our recruiting department.
we could have kept Waite for 2 years instead of one, instead we signed up Liam Jones for 3 years. Waite was frustrating as hell but he did take a key position when fit, would take him back in heartbeat. So now we have to play Henderson where he isn't suited and he's totally lost form or doesn't give a ****. Who is responsible for this list management?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back