Kurt Tippett

Remove this Banner Ad

what people fail to realise is we recruited tippet to shore up our weakest area which was our fwd line at the time.

once we got tippet we went tippett heavy so of course his stats were higher, tippett will always get beat a ground level because of how big he is hes just a giant to park up the field, it doesn't help that we give him s**t delivery most of the time, But thats neither here nor there. tippetts role changed once Buddy arrived.

you want an example of tippetts value to us right now just look at last week against melbourne when buddy took a regulation mark 1 metre from the goal square. he didn't have to move it went straight to him. despite the fact that melbourne had plenty of players at the coalmouth

cast your eyes to franklins right and THREE melbourne players are on Tippett, That is the value Tippett brings right now. he free's up other players, who else in this league add's such pressure on a defence that 3 people try to cover one bloke?

only west coast and hawthorn have a better fwd combo then we do. there's 18 teams in this comp being in the top 3 fwd comb's especially when Tippett rucks as well.

Must be the highest paid decoy in history.

In any case, apart from the odd isolated incident, there wouldn't be a club in the league who'd let Franklin get easy regulation ball just so they can ensure Tippett is double or triple teamed. I get they both need to be covered, but you're hardly going to go short on Buddy just to over compensate on Tippett, who is nowhere near as dangerous. Buddy gets it easy because teams are shitscared of Tippett and triple team him? Please.

And he's woeful in the ruck.

Last edited:

Must be the highest paid decoy in history.

In any case, apart from the odd isolated incident, there wouldn't be a club in the league who'd let Franklin get easy regulation ball just so they can ensure Tippett is double or triple teamed. I get they both need to be covered, but you're hardly going to go short on Buddy just to over compensate on Tippett, who is nowhere near as dangerous. Buddy gets it easy because teams are shitscared of Tippett and triple team him? Please.

And he's woeful in the ruck.
You're really committed to this, aren't you? Tippett isn't anywhere near as bad as you're claiming. He'll probably average over two goals a game again this year spending time in the ruck and playing alongside Franklin. Is he worth 800k a year on performance alone? No, but when he became available Sydney were lacking a key forward target and they had to outbid Brisbane and the Gold Coast. He hasn't even been bad. In the two years at the Swans he's been top five and ten for goals per game. Anyone who thinks that pure output is all that salary is judge on is an idiot.

When Kurt put through his second, the game was sewn up.

How was the game sewn up in the first quarter when Hawthorn took the lead in the third and held it for most of the last?

What kind of s**t supporter would deny the rightful match winner praise, their captain no less.

How was the game sewn up in the first quarter when Hawthorn took the lead in the third and held it for most of the last?

What kind of s**t supporter would deny the rightful match winner praise, their captain no less.

McVeigh didn't even kick the last goal of the match, mate. That was Parker. McVeigh kicked the two before that.

They were all good goals, but they were icing. The damage was done in the first quarter, as that's where the Hawks spirit was broken and the game essentially won. There's a reasonable argument that it was actually Kurt's first goal that hammered in the nail, but I think it was the second one that did the real damage.

McVeigh didn't even kick the last goal of the match, mate. That was Parker. McVeigh kicked the two before that.

They were all good goals, but they were icing. The damage was done in the first quarter, as that's where the Hawks spirit was broken and the game essentially won. There's a reasonable argument that it was actually Kurt's first goal that hammered in the nail, but I think it was the second one that did the real damage.

"There's a reasonable argument"

No. There isn't.

If the Hawks spirit was broken then they wouldn't have come storming back to lead by >1 goal in the last

"There's a reasonable argument"

No. There isn't.

If the Hawks spirit was broken then they wouldn't have come storming back to lead by >1 goal in the last

My read on it was the Swans took their foot of the pedal for a bit once the game was in the bag, and just did what needed to be done to get over the line in the end, with a view to keeping something in the legs for Carlton next week.

There are guys who coast along on their talent
My read on it was the Swans took their foot of the pedal for a bit once the game was in the bag, and just did what needed to be done to get over the line in the end, with a view to keeping something in the legs for Carlton next week.
When do you think the Swans did this? After the first quarter?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh Lordy, a far better statement in breaking the Hawks spirit would of been a 60 point win - that would of showed them rather than conserving energy for an already broken carlton.

As for for tippett, he must be laughing all the way to the bank. Best paid decoy in the comp

lol.jpg

Oh Lordy, a far better statement in breaking the Hawks spirit would of been a 60 point win - that would of showed them rather than conserving energy for an already broken carlton.

I think you underestimate teams like Carlton at your peril. They have a multiple premiership winning coach, a dual Brownlow medallist in the guts, and the 2011 Age Player of the Year as their captain. They are capable of some good footy.

Maybe if the Hawks treated their opponents with a bit more respect, they wouldn't be sitting at the fringes of the eight.

I think you underestimate teams like Carlton at your peril. They have a multiple premiership winning coach, a dual Brownlow medallist in the guts, and the 2011 Age Player of the Year as their captain. They are capable of some good footy.

Maybe if the Hawks treated their opponents with a bit more respect, they wouldn't be sitting at the fringes of the eight.

Now I know your trolling

And here was I thinking that the Hawks lost because sydney were the far more superior team and broke their backs with their sublime footy - instead they only won because the Hawks disrespected them.

You're really committed to this, aren't you? Tippett isn't anywhere near as bad as you're claiming. He'll probably average over two goals a game again this year spending time in the ruck and playing alongside Franklin. Is he worth 800k a year on performance alone? No, but when he became available Sydney were lacking a key forward target and they had to outbid Brisbane and the Gold Coast. He hasn't even been bad. In the two years at the Swans he's been top five and ten for goals per game. Anyone who thinks that pure output is all that salary is judge on is an idiot.

When you bring in a bloke on enormous money, and then lose multiple senior players due to salary cap pressure, the yes, I'd have an expectation that he'd justify that salary.

Buddy justifies it on and off the field every week. Tippett is bog average, the decision to pay that much to recruit him was a very poor one.

You need a certain type of player, I don't think that means you go and pay any amount whatsoever for any guy who happens to fill the void on paper.

How he gets criticised for his output while he averages more goals than players like Hawkins or Cloke is beyond me. Those guys are full time forwards, Tippet has spent large chunks of games in the ruck over the years and still matches their output as forwards.

How about we compare him to Mitch Clarke.. A player who was also on pretty big coin and plays a similar role... Tippett averages almost twice as many goals as Clarke and only a 2 less hitouts per game.

It's been pointed out numerous times that Tippet is being paid what we needed to in order to secure his services and most likely won't be on that coin for his next contract but even so there's many, many players in the league putting out far less output per dollar for their respective teams.

You need a certain type of player, I don't think that means you go and pay any amount whatsoever for any guy who happens to fill the void on paper.
Yeah, there was a real glut of prime aged key forwards in 2012 after we'd come off a premiership when our widely identified weak spot. We should have held off a few years in our premiership window to save 200k a year.
Slightly deceptive to post his goals and hitouts because every time I see him play that's basically all he does. 3 touches, 2 marks, 5 hitouts, 2 goals.
Ruck-forward gets hit-outs, kicks goals. It's not slightly deceptive because those are what he's supposed to do, and for one of them, he's been one of the best in the comp at doing so every game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back