Society/Culture Landlords - What is the point?

Remove this Banner Ad

I got my Land Tax statement today. It is $2,350 which is a 70% increase from $1,365 the previous year (I own a modest IP in the outer suburbs).

That is also on top of hundreds of dollars increase each year to things like insurance, council rates etc.

If people are wondering why the "evil and greedy landlords" are raising the rent then this is a perfect example. There is pressure for landlords to recover the loss and that is usually by increasing the income of the product/service they are providing like any business/investment.

I'm not expecting people patronizingly sarcastically say "oh you poor landlord having to pay expenses". I'm just pointing out to the reality that it is an investment and people ultimately will be trying to get a return on the investment.

Last edited:
I got my Land Tax statement today. It is $2,350 which is a 70% increase from $1,365 the previous year (I own a modest IP in the outer suburbs).

That is also on top of hundreds of dollars increase each year to things like insurance, council rates etc.

If people are wondering why the "evil and greedy landlords" are raising the rent then this is a perfect example. There is pressure for landlords to recover the loss and that is usually by increasing the income of the product/service they are providing like any business/investment.

I'm not expecting people patronizingly sarcastically say "oh you poor landlord having to pay expenses". I'm just pointing out to the reality that it is an investment and people ultimately will be trying to get a return on the investment.
And at the end of the day, shelter shouldn't be an investment. Simple as that.

If property investment was illegal, how would you cater to
(a) People who prefer to rent
(b) People who are looking for holiday accommodation

If property investment was illegal, how would you cater to
(a) People who prefer to rent
(b) People who are looking for holiday accommodation
I think he was implying the government to provide social housing for those who don't own.

While a good sentiment it is impractical as to provide social housing to everybody who doesn't own will cost the government too much.

Last edited:
I think he was implying the government to provide social housing for those who don't.

While a good sentiment it is impractical as to provide social housing to everybody who doesn't own will cost the government too much.
There's many reasons why people prefer renting property or having a short term stay over ownership with the associated buying and selling costs and liquidity constraints.

There's no nuance in this thread at all, and I say that as some who's been accused more than once for being black and white.

(A) public housing, where any income goes back into government spending on social programs etc
There's a waiting list for public housing. Are you suggesting that people who can afford rent should be put on a waiting list for public housing?
(B) hotels/motels
Hotels/motels are an investment. If property investment is wrong, why are hotels acceptable?

There's a waiting list for public housing. Are you suggesting that people who can afford rent should be put on a waiting list for public housing?

Hotels/motels are an investment. If property investment is wrong, why are hotels acceptable?
We should build a lot more public housing.

There obviously needs to be an increase in the supply of public housing, but that doesn't undermine the merit of the policy.
I think we're both smart enough to differentiate between something purpose built as commercial property, and taking residential housing and misusing it.

There obviously needs to be an increase in the supply of public housing, but that doesn't undermine the merit of the policy.
Yes, agreed.
I think we're both smart enough to differentiate between something purpose built as commercial property, and taking residential housing and misusing it.
Residential property can be built with investment in mind, much the same as commercial property.

You're usually a reasonable poster, but you're going off on a weird tangent with the claim that landlords are misusing residential property.

Yes, agreed.

Residential property can be built with investment in mind, much the same as commercial property.

You're usually a reasonable poster, but you're going off on a weird tangent with the claim that landlords are misusing residential property.
When landlords are buying up dozens of residential properties each and gouging people with rent increases, they're absolutely misusing it.

I guess that's my point. This shouldn't be occurring.
Don't get it twisted, I'm not trying to put the blame on landlords. I completely understand why someone would want to invest in residential properties, it's a safe, secure income stream that's relatively low risk.

I'm pointing the finger at government for failing to adequately look after its people. It should be government that puts in place policies that stop residential properties being used as an investment/commodity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why shouldn't I be able to kill my landlord? He has much a right to it as I do. Through my hard work of procuring an axe and using it on him, I have earnt my home. Such is the will of capitalism.

2025 Rental Law Reforms;

Where a tenant believes they're subject to an unreasonable or excessive rent increase they can apply to VCAT for permission to engage in combat with the Landlord to decide whether to pay the increase or not. Any deaths resulting from this process will be considered self defence and are exempt from any criminal or civil repercussions.

Basic housing, sure. 1 room in a shared living arrangement type deal.

But if you're looking for a nice 3BR house in a nice location and expecting the government (AKA taxpayers) to pay for it, no.

The 'right' can also be revoked if you have sufficient means to house yourself, or if you deliberately damage the property provide or are deemed particularly unsocial with the others in the residence.

Basic housing, sure. 1 room in a shared living arrangement type deal.

But if you're looking for a nice 3BR house in a nice location and expecting the government (AKA taxpayers) to pay for it, no.

The 'right' can also be revoked if you have sufficient means to house yourself, or if you deliberately damage the property provide or are deemed particularly unsocial with the others in the residence.

In no way did I read their comment as being relevant to what you replied with.

Sorry, I jumped a couple of steps ahead on the point.

For the slow..

What do you mean by shelter?

How should it be provided?

I assumed he meant housing shouldn’t be incentivised as an investment class, not that all housing should be government owned.

or you know, sell and reinvest in shares...

I think because they function as a commercial business with employees, have transparent business dealings etc
I believe air bnb to be complete and utter scams and want to see that part of the sector basically * off and die.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back