Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 16, 2005
True centre half forward
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hibees
On the membership thread, a new front is breaking out in terms of pointless squabbles that benefit nobody. It hopefully won't get as bad as the savage Limerick v DarwinRoo projections dirty war but it may still claim casulaties.

Essentially, some see the lanyard as being superflous to member's needs and cash the club could spend better elsewhere, like on a subscription to Ralph for the CHIEF OF FOOTBALL.

But others, like me, appreciate the lanyard. I've modfied mine and use it on my Scottish Parliament press pass. Given it is in Scottish national colours, it attracts attention and comment. I'm yet to secure a membership gain from it, but its early days.

So - should the club keep sending out multiple lanyards or is one enough? Or even none? Or are you still unsude of what a lanyard is?

I say the more lanyards the merrier.

**** off.

Lanyard is the one thing I look forward to getting in the membership pack.

Goes straight on the keys, and I can tell you, I know a s**t lanyard which breaks from a good one.

This seasons (2009) is a s**t landyard, I've had to mod the thing to get it to stay on.

Lanyard is an absolute necessity.

• Banned
I'd be interested in RoyalBlue expunding further on the smaller details that differentiate - to the untrained eye - a good lanyard from a s**t one.

FWIW many of the BBC journos in the Scottish Parliament envy my North one but wouldn't be able to use one as showing an allegeiance to individual organisations etc is apparently banned for them so they are stuck with their shitty one which they say causes rashes.

It's nay for me

Don't get me wrong, a lanyard is a dashed handy thing but 50 of them is just too much. They just don't wear out (this is the canny Scot talking)

Let's not even mention the 50,000 one size fits nobody caps i've got

Every year we get a family membership, with 4 x hats, 4 x lanyards, 4 x some other piece of crap.

I mentioned this on another thread. I'd reckon a DVD of a classic match or player highlights, would be collectable and bloody useful for getting you through the summer months

2010 package Wayne Schwass highlights, 2011 Keith Grieg, 2012 Winne Abraham etc. Make them unique to members and we might even entice a few more to sign up

I'd be interested in RoyalBlue expunding further on the smaller details that differentiate - to the untrained eye - a good lanyard from a s**t one.

FWIW many of the BBC journos in the Scottish Parliament envy my North one but wouldn't be able to use one as showing an allegeiance to individual organisations etc is apparently banned for them so they are stuck with their shitty one which they say causes rashes.
I'd have to pull them out to explain, but there are two key issues:

The clip at the end.

And, the colour.

I'd need to get some pics to explain, but every second year the club seems to source lanyards with a dodgy clip which breaks. My 2009 Stay Troo lanyard broke at a going away party in St Kilda and I nearly lost both my door keys, and terrifyingly, my bottle opener. (I happened to be toting a six pack of Little Creatures Pils that night, and would have been ****ing horrified to find I couldnt get into them).

Secondly, the colour. Ordinarily blue, but a few years ago the club issued a white one which soon became so rank and dirty from usual wear and tear that I had to ditch it, thankfully the club has never gone back down this road.

In short, Member 2008 lanyard was best. Im still using it.

I'm firmly against lanyards. Look terrible, and no use to me (unless I have a particular urge to look like a dick by wearing one to a North game). However, perhaps this is just because I don't have a job important or dangerous enough to require a security pass. Give me a terrible one-size-fits-all hat any day...

The more items with the NMFC mentioned on it the better for me, even if its junk. Cant get enough, regardless of the amount of cents it costs the club to make and distribute the thing. I have about 20 of them from this year already, Im holding out buying memberships to the very last minute to ensure they keep sending me one weekly in our reminder packs. Not sure what that delay in 3 memberships is going to do to the membership prediction numbers/thread but its a problem we can deal with later.

I never wear mine, but they're handy to pass around to other North supporter friends who aren't yet members- maybe seeing the membership number on the 'Commit Now for 09' one will prompt them to sign up.

The 2008 one looks nice hanging next to my bed though.

I have no beef with the lanyards, even though i don't use them.

But i did think the one we got in the reminder pack was a bit of a waste. although miss kate18 makes a good point about giving thm to friends.

we don't know how much they cost the club, so we cant really weight up the cost vs benifit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big nay for me, just opened the 07 and 08 lanyards for the first time. Can't see myself wearing it at The Cricketers or The Locker Room any time soon.

Perhaps it should be an option at membership sign up time, thus available for those members who do use them.

No for me i reckon i would have about 50 off them :eek:I would prefer a discount to the very cheap :rolleyes:Telstra Dome parking :D Maybe the club could do a deal with them so they can make some money too or with another parking place near the dome. Pay some money for the home games on your membership club gets a kick back from the parking company, just a thought.

I'd have to say no too, would prefer something more "North orientated".

Maybe a signed footy card of a club legend that people could collect over the years....would encourage repeat memberships and may be of some value in the future.......just a thought.

You could even have special "limited edition" gold cards that every member has the chance to receive that comes with it's own benefits like reserved seating, spot in the coaches box, etc.

Lanyards seem cheap, gimmicky and "done to death" to me.

No for me i reckon i would have about 50 off them :eek:I would prefer a discount to the very cheap :rolleyes:Telstra Dome parking :D Maybe the club could do a deal with them so they can make some money too or with another parking place near the dome. Pay some money for the home games on your membership club gets a kick back from the parking company, just a thought.
Great idea, maybe something you can suggest to the club.

It pains me to fork out $23 each week we play there (we try and get as close to the seats as possible without inconveniencing the little one too much) but would happily pay it or a discounted rate if the club were getting something from it.

I didn't realise holding a view on this would lead to a label, but hey, I'm a proud "anti-lanyardist"! In fact, I'd be proud to declare this to the world. Hell, I'd even hang this label around my neck if technology permitted.

On the other hand, I suspect said technology might just resemble a lanyard, which I'd have to agree...

GoodFootyNorth said:
Look terrible, and no use to me (unless I have a particular urge to look like a dick by wearing one to a North game).
Not to mention the unnecessary financial and environmental cost. Simple option? The choice to "opt out".

So, I'm opting out until they provide the following option:

P21472B.jpg

I don't have much use for lanyards, but I wouldn't be against them on that basis. To those folk who suggest there be an opt out clause - this is fine as long as the extra admin cost isn't greater than the cost of the lanyards themselves... But thinking more broadly, i reckon the membership pack is the wrong place for an organisation which badly needs more members to try to cut costs. It is a great place, however, to look for ways to add value, or upgrade to better stuff.

Personally, I love the idea of the DVD highlights disc(I understand the St Kilda pack has a Harvey disc this year). I wouldn't expect anything marvelously produced or anything, just a video scrapbook of great moments, ideally interspersed with basic interviewing... I'm not for scraping the lanyard per se, but I would be for upgrading the lanyard to a DVD for sure.

Even better than that would be items that kids can have at school. It's just about the best place to advertise the NMFC product i reckon. Not exactly sure what the best product ideas would be for that, but if kids are jealous of other kids because of what they pulled out of the North supporters kit, that is a :thumbsu:

Lanyards are un-Australian, and moreso, un-North like.

If you have keys to carry, carry them in your ****ing pocket. Hate people who think they are important because they have keys. Here's new for you, most people do have keys.

I want a new stubby holder each year. That's something that needs replacing every year, unlike ghetto key jewellery.

I love the lanyard.

I have one on my sports bag (it makes me look like a 'player'), one on the briefcase (it gets me into the best cafeterias) and one on .....

Oh, who am I kidding? I didn't know what a lanyard was until about 3 years ago.

Put me down as a naysayer, SLF.

I've got lanyards, scarves and blue caps by the wheelbarrow load. I'd happily pass on all future landyards, and I don't need another scarf or cap unless there's a drastic design or colour change.

On the membership thread, a new front is breaking out in terms of pointless squabbles that benefit nobody. It hopefully won't get as bad as the savage Limerick v DarwinRoo projections dirty war but it may still claim casulaties.

Essentially, some see the lanyard as being superflous to member's needs and cash the club could spend better elsewhere, like on a subscription to Ralph for the CHIEF OF FOOTBALL.

But others, like me, appreciate the lanyard. I've modfied mine and use it on my Scottish Parliament press pass. Given it is in Scottish national colours, it attracts attention and comment. I'm yet to secure a membership gain from it, but its early days.

So - should the club keep sending out multiple lanyards or is one enough? Or even none? Or are you still unsude of what a lanyard is?

I say the more lanyards the merrier.

Your thread is a beauty, SLF:thumbsu:. If only you'd followed Crazy Q's example and included a poll.;)

I never wear mine, but they're handy to pass around to other North supporter friends who aren't yet members- maybe seeing the membership number on the 'Commit Now for 09' one will prompt them to sign up.

The 2008 one looks nice hanging next to my bed though.

I've got about ten of them all around the house. Don't really have any use for them right now, but I'll still keep them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back