LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

Remove this Banner Ad

I recall studying at the library and overhearing a conversation between students from a Bach. of Nutrition and Exercise Science preparing for an upcoming exam.. I couldn't believe the topics they were discussing.. and this wasn't no TAFE course or a cereal box PT course.. this was the real deal.

Even better I have a friend who is finishing up his Dietician degree… I feel sorry for who ever he attempts to help.

Damn, not good to hear. One of my uni lecturers would constantly cget frustrated about the stuff in the books that he didn't want to teach us. I remember telling him about Darren Burgess and co. and he ended up going to some kind of seminar or something, he said he loved it.

Your post reminds me of something that I'll probably spin a fair yarn about right now.

My TAFE lecturer (has a degree in sport science from the 90s and obviously hadn't done much research since) a couple years ago told me that saturated fat is bad, full stop. I tuned my diet at the time to take pretty much all fat out of my diet. Eating a lot of grains, veggies, lots of lean protein sources, low fat lactose free milk, I felt like I was doing ok. After a while my body just gave up on me, I don't think I've ever felt like such a piece of s**t in my life. My anxiety came back, my libido was down, my body struggled to recover from the most basic stuff and my heart palpitations worsened.

I think it wasn't too long after then that I started to really listen to some of the guys in here and take stuff on board. My diet right now is nowhere near perfect, I still have the odd slice of bread, chips, cake, lollies, chocolate or whatever it is once or twice a week, but the majority of my diet being as decent as it is means I haven't had heart palpitations in a long time and my anxiety is very easy to manage as it's close to non-existent now.So glad I decided against getting those tablets for it.

Amazing how much of a difference the food we eat can have on our body an mind.

The origins of ploughing the fields

12009673_10153755585310209_6598331427451417434_n.jpg

Went to hospital with stomach pain and bloating. Gall inflammation from gall stones. It ******* sucks, especially on keto. Reacts when you eat fat. Hopefully they pass without too much more pain than what I have experienced for the last 3 days.

Have a feeling the carb and beer binge over grand final weekend may have had an impact.

I'm about to start Keto in conjuction with a 4 day split.

This is moving on from a lower fat high carb diet while doing a shitload of 5x5.

Wish me luck!

This is a classic, its the idiot Durianrider talking about the Dee's and their low carb diet.

Lots of F words for those who aren't familiar with this first class tool from Adelaide.

Ok, so I watched the video. That guy is a liar. He's manipulating information by making out Tim Noakes got diabetes from eating a high fat diet when he actually got it from eating a high carb diet. Noakes now manages his diabetes with low carb.

That guy is dishonest and he must know it. Weird that he'd be so passionate about something that even he knows isn't true.

Sure he isn't a paleo troll?

For realz.

Ok, so I watched the video. That guy is a liar. He's manipulating information by making out Tim Noakes got diabetes from eating a high fat diet when he actually got it from eating a high carb diet. Noakes now manages his diabetes with low carb.

That guy is dishonest and he must know it. Weird that he'd be so passionate about something that even he knows isn't true.

Sure he isn't a paleo troll?

For realz.
Ofcourse he would know it.. but look at his youtube account.. makes a fair bit of coin doing this youtube gig

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This week is the two year aniversary of this thread and the "paradigm shift"

In that one week Dr Aseem Malhotra BMJ article on saturated fat, ABC Catalyst, Perlmutter on Dr Oz, Credit Suisse report on sugar, Sweden Becomes First Western Nation to Reject Low-fat Diet Dogma in Favor of Low-carb High-fat Nutrition and it started the backlash against the heart Foundation.

What an interesting week and following two years.

Last edited:
World's oldest woman, 116, eats bacon daily
USA TODAY NETWORKMichael Balsamo, (Morris County, N.J.) Daily Record5:59 a.m. EDT October 7, 2015

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ldest-woman-116-eats-bacon-everyday/73444660/
Could you stop trying to use outliers to draw conclusions? "My grandmother lived on cheese and cigarettes and lived until she was 90!" is another one I heard from a friend.

Red meat linked to cancer – WHO report
The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), the cancer agency of the World Health Organization, has evaluated the links between the consumption of red and processed meat, and cancer.

The group, led by Prof Bernard Stewart from UNSW and the Cancer Council have classified the consumption of red meat as probably carcinogenic to humans (Group 2A). This association was observed mainly for colorectal cancer, but associations were also seen for pancreatic cancer and prostate cancer.

The group classified processed meat as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1), based on sufficient evidence in humans that the consumption of processed meat causes colorectal cancer.

Professor Bernard Stewartis a Conjoint Professor with the School of Women's & Children's Health at the University of New South Wales and Chief Scientific Advisor for the Cancer Council Australia. He chaired the committee which conducted the review for WHO's International Agency for Research on Cancer. He was the single Australian involved in the review.

“No-one’s proposing that we ban bacon, put warnings on hot dogs or take beef off the barbie. But this WHO review provides compelling evidence that the long-term consumption of red meat and/or processed meat increases your risk of cancer.

This report is based on the evidence contained within 1,000 previous studies looking at this topic. So it is one of the most complex assessments of the medical and scientific literature ever undertaken concerning a particular cancer risk.

The findings provide a new degree of certainty for health authorities who produce evidence-based dietary guidelines.”

-----------

Dr Rosemary Stanton OAM is a Nutritionist and Visiting Fellow at the School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales. She was a member of the NHMRC’s Dietary Guidelines Working Committee.

“No one doubts that red meat is a nutritious food. Nor is there any nutritional reason to remove it from the diet. However, in view of the World Cancer Research Fund's evidence of a convincing relationship between red and processed meat and colorectal cancer, and the results of studies on red meat and cardiovascular disease, the Australian Dietary Guidelines recommend limiting fresh red meat to approximately 450g a week. This is well below the average consumption of 700g of red meat* reported recently by Australian men. (*This figure does not include poultry or fish)

The guidelines also moved processed meats moved out of the basic food groups to the list of 'discretionary' foods. These foods that have no essential role in a healthy diet and should either be omitted or consumed only occasionally or in small quantities. Those who are overweight and those who are small and inactive have no room for discretionary foods.”

-----------

Dr Christina Pollard is Nutrition Policy Advisor at Curtin University and a Fellow of the World Cancer Research Fund International

“The IARC assessment are a hazard analysis, answering the question “is there evidence that substance(agent), in this case meat, is carcinogenic (capable of causing) cancer in humans?” ranking from Group 1 “carcinogenic to humans” to Group 5 “probably not carcinogenic to humans”.

Group 1 means convincing evidence that the agent causes cancer in humans. Evidence shows development of cancer in exposed humans and also strong evidence in experimental animal research.

Group 2 agents have varying evidence of carcinogenicity in humans and experimental animals.

Group 2A means the agent is probably carcinogenic to humans (limited evidence of carcinogenicity in humans (positive association, but cannot rule out confounders) and sufficient in experimental animals.)

You cannot compare agents in the same group because the risk associated with exposure is not part of the assessment.

Group 1 agents are all hazards, they are capable of causing cancer, but the risk may be different due to different levels of exposure across the population.

What do cancer findings mean for Australian population health dietary recommendations?

The risk associated with meat (red meat and processed meat) consumption in the Australian diet was reviewed for the 2013 Australian Dietary Guidelines.

The risk of cancer and other chronic disease as well as beneficial contributions of foods in the overall diet was considered (for meat protein-rich and an important source of iron, zinc).

Due to risk of colorectal cancer, Australian guidelines do not recommend processed and cured meats and recommendation to limit intake of lean meat or equivalents *to a maximum of 455grams per week of per week (one serve of 65grams of cooked lean red meat a day) for adults.

Mean daily intake of meat was greater than recommended for men, and the guidelines suggested eating 20% less on average.”

For more information about the IARC process, http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/News/Q&A_ENG.pdf

*Equivalents the minimum number of serves of lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts and seeds and legumes per day.

-----------
Professor Mark L Wahlqvist is Visiting Professor at the National Health Research Institute (NHRI) in Taiwan and Zhejiang University in China and Emeritus Professor at Monash University

“As important as the IARC findings are, we must now be more prudent ,sparing and equitable in the use of meat and meat products to be consistent with the new UN Global Goals and the increasing need for food security with climate change '

-----------
Kathy Chapman is Chair, Nutrition and Physical Activity Committee, Cancer Council Australia.

"The new WHO analysis on red and processed meat and cancer risk is consistent with research commissioned by Cancer Council Australia that was released earlier this month. The study found that 2600 bowel cancer cases each year could be attributed to excess red and processed meat consumption.

"The National Health and Medical Research Council's current dietary guidelines recommends consuming no more than 65 to 100 grams of cooked red meat, three-to-four times a week. Cancer Council recommends staying within this guideline but we don't encourage avoiding red meat altogether - lean red meat is a good source of iron, zinc, vitamin B12 and protein."

"Processed meats, however, are nutrient poor by comparison and more likely to be high in fat, salt and nitrates. This is why we recommend reducing or limiting processed meat intake.

"It's also important to put the cancer risks associated with red and processed meat into context in terms of other preventable cancer causes. While Cancer Council's recent research found that red and processed meat accounted for around 2600 cancer cases each year, 11,500 cancer cases each year are caused by tobacco, 3,900 cancer cases are attributable to obesity and overweight and 3,200 are attributable to alcohol. An overall healthy lifestyle, including diet, is important to reduce your cancer risk."

Last edited:
Could you stop trying to use outliers to draw conclusions? "My grandmother lived on cheese and cigarettes and lived until she was 90!" is another one I heard from a friend.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), the cancer agency of the World Health Organization, has evaluated the links between the consumption of red and processed meat, and cancer.

The group, led by Prof Bernard Stewart from UNSW and the Cancer Council have classified the consumption of red meat as probably carcinogenic to humans (Group 2A). This association was observed mainly for colorectal cancer, but associations were also seen for pancreatic cancer and prostate cancer.

The group classified processed meat as carcinogenic to humans (Group 1), based on sufficient evidence in humans that the consumption of processed meat causes colorectal cancer.

Professor Bernard Stewartis a Conjoint Professor with the School of Women's & Children's Health at the University of New South Wales and Chief Scientific Advisor for the Cancer Council Australia. He chaired the committee which conducted the review for WHO's International Agency for Research on Cancer. He was the single Australian involved in the review.

“No-one’s proposing that we ban bacon, put warnings on hot dogs or take beef off the barbie. But this WHO review provides compelling evidence that the long-term consumption of red meat and/or processed meat increases your risk of cancer.

This report is based on the evidence contained within 1,000 previous studies looking at this topic. So it is one of the most complex assessments of the medical and scientific literature ever undertaken concerning a particular cancer risk.

The findings provide a new degree of certainty for health authorities who produce evidence-based dietary guidelines.”

-----------

Dr Rosemary Stanton OAM is a Nutritionist and Visiting Fellow at the School of Medical Sciences, University of New South Wales. She was a member of the NHMRC’s Dietary Guidelines Working Committee.

“No one doubts that red meat is a nutritious food. Nor is there any nutritional reason to remove it from the diet. However, in view of the World Cancer Research Fund's evidence of a convincing relationship between red and processed meat and colorectal cancer, and the results of studies on red meat and cardiovascular disease, the Australian Dietary Guidelines recommend limiting fresh red meat to approximately 450g a week. This is well below the average consumption of 700g of red meat* reported recently by Australian men. (*This figure does not include poultry or fish)

The guidelines also moved processed meats moved out of the basic food groups to the list of 'discretionary' foods. These foods that have no essential role in a healthy diet and should either be omitted or consumed only occasionally or in small quantities. Those who are overweight and those who are small and inactive have no room for discretionary foods.”

-----------

Dr Christina Pollard is Nutrition Policy Advisor at Curtin University and a Fellow of the World Cancer Research Fund International

“The IARC assessment are a hazard analysis, answering the question “is there evidence that substance(agent), in this case meat, is carcinogenic (capable of causing) cancer in humans?” ranking from Group 1 “carcinogenic to humans” to Group 5 “probably not carcinogenic to humans”.

Group 1 means convincing evidence that the agent causes cancer in humans. Evidence shows development of cancer in exposed humans and also strong evidence in experimental animal research.

Group 2 agents have varying evidence of carcinogenicity in humans and experimental animals.

Group 2A means the agent is probably carcinogenic to humans (limited evidence of carcinogenicity in humans (positive association, but cannot rule out confounders) and sufficient in experimental animals.)

You cannot compare agents in the same group because the risk associated with exposure is not part of the assessment.

Group 1 agents are all hazards, they are capable of causing cancer, but the risk may be different due to different levels of exposure across the population.

What do cancer findings mean for Australian population health dietary recommendations?

The risk associated with meat (red meat and processed meat) consumption in the Australian diet was reviewed for the 2013 Australian Dietary Guidelines.

The risk of cancer and other chronic disease as well as beneficial contributions of foods in the overall diet was considered (for meat protein-rich and an important source of iron, zinc).

Due to risk of colorectal cancer, Australian guidelines do not recommend processed and cured meats and recommendation to limit intake of lean meat or equivalents *to a maximum of 455grams per week of per week (one serve of 65grams of cooked lean red meat a day) for adults.

Mean daily intake of meat was greater than recommended for men, and the guidelines suggested eating 20% less on average.”

For more information about the IARC process, http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/News/Q&A_ENG.pdf

*Equivalents the minimum number of serves of lean meats, poultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts and seeds and legumes per day.

-----------
Professor Mark L Wahlqvist is Visiting Professor at the National Health Research Institute (NHRI) in Taiwan and Zhejiang University in China and Emeritus Professor at Monash University

“As important as the IARC findings are, we must now be more prudent ,sparing and equitable in the use of meat and meat products to be consistent with the new UN Global Goals and the increasing need for food security with climate change '
lol

Dr Barbara Thomson, independent consultant and registered nutritionist, comments:

“It was a “majority”conclusion, not a consensus so there was some disagreement between the experts at the IARC meeting.

“Half of the studies assessed showed a positive association between red meat consumption and CRC. Therefore half did NOT show an association. Two thirds of the studies assessed showed a positive association between processed meat consumption and CRC. Therefore one third did not.

“We do not eat single foods in isolation. How well did the authors of this evidence allow for potential confounding factors (fruit and vegetable, poultry, fish and alcohol consumption, cooking methods, obesity and exercise?)

Dr Ian Johnson, nutrition researcher and Emeritus Fellow, Institute of Food Research, comments:

“Meat consumption is probably one of many factors contributing to the high rates of bowel cancer seen in America, Western Europe and Australia, but the mechanism is poorly understood, and the effect is much smaller than, for example, that of cigarette smoking on the risk of lung cancer. It is also worth noting that there is little or no evidence that vegetarians in the UK have a lower risk of bowel cancer than meat-eaters.”

Prof Tom Sanders, Professor emeritus of Nutrition and Dietetics, King’s College London, comments:

“The comparison on which evidence is based is for high versus low categories of consumption. Studies of vegetarians who eat no meat do not show consistently lower incidence rates of colorectal cancer, and in the case of the UK vegetarians, a higher rate was noted in the Oxford cohort compared to meat-eaters.

-----------

-----------

-----------

-----------
Kathy Chapman is Chair, Nutrition and Physical Activity Committee, Cancer Council Australia.

"The new WHO analysis on red and processed meat and cancer risk is consistent with research commissioned by Cancer Council Australia that was released earlier this month. The study found that 2600 bowel cancer cases each year could be attributed to excess red and processed meat consumption.

"The National Health and Medical Research Council's current dietary guidelines recommends consuming no more than 65 to 100 grams of cooked red meat, three-to-four times a week. Cancer Council recommends staying within this guideline but we don't encourage avoiding red meat altogether - lean red meat is a good source of iron, zinc, vitamin B12 and protein."

"Processed meats, however, are nutrient poor by comparison and more likely to be high in fat, salt and nitrates. This is why we recommend reducing or limiting processed meat intake.

"It's also important to put the cancer risks associated with red and processed meat into context in terms of other preventable cancer causes. While Cancer Council's recent research found that red and processed meat accounted for around 2600 cancer cases each year, 11,500 cancer cases each year are caused by tobacco, 3,900 cancer cases are attributable to obesity and overweight and 3,200 are attributable to alcohol. An overall healthy lifestyle, including diet, is important to reduce your cancer risk."
Not sure why you're frothing at the gash so hard and trying to use this report to attack LCHF.

Not sure why you're frothing at the gash so hard and trying to use this report to attack LCHF.
So.. posting something is now "frothing at the gash"?

You young kids. I just can't keep up with your curious vernacular.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back