Leppa's third year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mcguane must go? Hasn't got on the park all year, only played a few games last year and came here with known knee issues. We hoped to get a couple of years out of him, it hasn't worked goodbye.

IMO if staker can play out the rest of the year he might be favored to get another season or perhaps listed as a rookie. Obviously likes the lifestyle up here and is a fan and club favourite.

ON SEN last night, in a discussion between, Connelly, Adrian Flecthcer, and Finey - they described the Lions as the 'best worst' team in a long time. Said rarely would you have a wooden spoon side pushing Top 4 teams like we have been doing. interesting thought, probley tend to agree, I know a lot of Dee's friends of mine are especially 'spooked' going into this weekend and view it as a genuine 50/50 - you wouldn't normally have a wooden spoon side going into most weeks with a chance.

ON SEN last night, in a discussion between, Connelly, Adrian Flecthcer, and Finey - they described the Lions as the 'best worst' team in a long time. Said rarely would you have a wooden spoon side pushing Top 4 teams like we have been doing. interesting thought, probley tend to agree, I know a lot of Dee's friends of mine are especially 'spooked' going into this weekend and view it as a genuine 50/50 - you wouldn't normally have a wooden spoon side going into most weeks with a chance.

I think our midfield is very good and our defense looks very solid with Merrett down there and will be boosted by a fit Harwood. Ignoring our forward line, fully fit we should be quite a good team.

I think our midfield is very good and our defense looks very solid with Merrett down there and will be boosted by a fit Harwood. Ignoring our forward line, fully fit we should be quite a good team.

Just need to hold onto our players. I don't think we should delist Paine, lets just hold onto him for another year, he hasn't even had a chance at it yet. Scary seeing Sam Mayes being mentioned as a potential to leave (speculation I know), really not liking his developmental ATM, genuine talent, much liked character, leadership ta'boot - but completely stalled.

Highly doubt Mayes will leave, loves being here and has many friends in the current group of players.

Aish on the other hand.......:$

Highly doubt Mayes will leave, loves being here and has many friends in the current group of players.

Aish on the other hand.......:$

I don't have any attachment to Aish, I do to Mayes and I did yo Yeo. Just don't like the cut of Aish's jib, not a clubman, he is a man at the club. I put Aish in that 'stuck up their own ass' category with Longer and Sam Doc - happy for him to move on if we are compensated and or can use the pick to fill a need.

Just need to hold onto our players. I don't think we should delist Paine, lets just hold onto him for another year, he hasn't even had a chance at it yet. Scary seeing Sam Mayes being mentioned as a potential to leave (speculation I know), really not liking his developmental ATM, genuine talent, much liked character, leadership ta'boot - but completely stalled.

Teams are far more aggressive these days targeting players and player movement is becoming far more common place like in American sports. I think we have to get used to increased player movement and become less attached to players. We just have to hope that our club continues to target players aggressively and the AFL is far more serious about equalisation and help us out with our training facilities so we don't become consigned to the bottom of the ladder. So Mayes leaving would be tough but if we could replace him with someone more suited to our needs we might end up better off.

Where?

Teams are far more aggressive these days targeting players and player movement is becoming far more common place like in American sports. I think we have to get used to increased player movement and become less attached to players. We just have to hope that our club continues to target players aggressively and the AFL is far more serious about equalisation and help us out with our training facilities so we don't become consigned to the bottom of the ladder. So Mayes leaving would be tough but if we could replace him with someone more suited to our needs we might end up better off.

I have been advocating this for years, player movement is fun and we need to embrace it as part of the new age of footy - we have lost some players over the last few years, but gained plenty. Would be nice if they wern't always young though, because that portrays us as 'undesirable' to draftee's.

Its all about picking the right kids too, we need 'workman' types - Darcy, Lewey, mayes, Clarke are all blue collar.. the pretty boys arn't suited to us, we arn't cool enough, see - doc, longer, aish..

It's the same with everyone trying to throw hair-brain suggestions at the 'rolling scrum' issue, its a new age, new game - stoppages are fine, I actually like watching teams set up around them, also makes break out periods of the game more exciting.

Clearly I am a bit biased here, but I think we're a much better side and are performing better than the ladder position suggests. We were woeful early, which is possibly to be expected with the new arrivals, and have been ravaged by injury since. If we wind up with a high draft pick, pick up a KPF and stay healthy over the offseason, I can more easily imagine a fair spike in wins than at any time in recent history (noting I still found reasons to believe it at those times).

Last edited:
It says Port is watching Mayes closely, which could mean anything.

Yeah my comments about SA teams was an extension of reading that article. Regardless of that story, I would still think that they would be watching on with interest given he can hardly crack a spot in the Bottom side on the ladder with his talent.

As I stated, it was scary seeing him mentioned, I didn't say "now that sam mayes is gone too" or anything lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we're a hard team to get a read on when trying to judge our performance ceiling or even baseline. We've had so many personnel changes in key areas in the last few years, combined with who our injuries have been to that we really haven't had enough to judge whether we're a better side than we currently are. Gut feeling tells me we are but we just haven't been able to see whether thats accurate. A end to the season that sees our prime movers all play significant games together will help answer the question.

Yeah my comments about SA teams was an extension of reading that article. Regardless of that story, I would still think that they would be watching on with interest given he can hardly crack a spot in the Bottom side on the ladder with his talent.

As I stated, it was scary seeing him mentioned, I didn't say "now that sam mayes is gone too" or anything lol
He's had a sub par season with injury and poor form, but I wouldn't be too worried at this stage(about his development that is).
That line in the article seems like a pretty standard ambiguous statement from the author that means absolutely nothing 90% of the time.

Anyone though about coaching movements?

Black's out of contract and might look for experience elsewhere. Woewodin seems on the outer. A couple of vacant senior coaching positions to be filled with highly rated assistants. Leppa doesn't want a senior assistant but Greg Swann might disagree.

Anyone though about coaching movements?

Black's out of contract and might look for experience elsewhere. Woewodin seems on the outer. A couple of vacant senior coaching positions to be filled with highly rated assistants. Leppa doesn't want a senior assistant but Greg Swann might disagree.

I would be pretty happy with some big changes with leppa's support staff. TBH there is very limited quality there and we need a more senior head around. I have wondered if Leigh has a Pseudo coaching Director/ semi senior assistant type role, just doing it without pay. The way he sits at training I wouldn't be surprised if he is there to bounce ideas off and help Leppa with things.

Either way - id like us to bring a few coaches in with some decent experience.

I would be pretty happy with some big changes with leppa's support staff. TBH there is very limited quality there and we need a more senior head around. I have wondered if Leigh has a Pseudo coaching Director/ semi senior assistant type role, just doing it without pay. The way he sits at training I wouldn't be surprised if he is there to bounce ideas off and help Leppa with things.

Either way - id like us to bring a few coaches in with some decent experience.
I heard that Terry Wallace really likes the weather up north

Lol

Definitely need some better assistants.

Even odonnel hasn't done much the last 10 years - was highly rated during our periership years but been nowhere since.

Not sure who is floating around to pick up though.

If we could get Lambert, a new fitness coach and a highly rated assistant from another club, it would be just as important as any players we would be bringing in.

Dlanod, David Joyce seems to be doing a good job at GWS. What's your opinion of him?

Here: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...aish-for-nothing/story-fni5ezi5-1227444772323

Not saying it's going to happen, just seeing it even raised sent a little panic through my body. I bloody Love Sam Mayes. Makes sense the SA clubs would be watching on with interest this season.

I am struggling to understand why the media are fixed on Aish going to Melbourne. My bet is he is going back to Adelaide only, in which we will land either Adelaide or Ports first round pick. Either that or Dangerfields combo pick. I see Carlton as the last place he will go.

I am struggling to understand why the media are fixed on Aish going to Melbourne. My bet is he is going back to Adelaide only, in which we will land either Adelaide or Ports first round pick. Either that or Dangerfields combo pick. I see Carlton as the last place he will go.
Hard to tell if it is a Pickering game or not. There has been lots of talk that he is not actually homesick, but actually just wants to play for a 'big' club in a football driven state.
Could just as easily be a Picknose game to drive his contract up for mine.
Also worth remembering that I believe he has at least one family member in SA that is reasonably unwell. If I was his age and deciding my next contract, that would definitely be a consideration

Hard to tell if it is a Pickering game or not. There has been lots of talk that he is not actually homesick, but actually just wants to play for a 'big' club in a football driven state.
Could just as easily be a Picknose game to drive his contract up for mine.
Also worth remembering that I believe he has at least one family member in SA that is reasonably unwell. If I was his age and deciding my next contract, that would definitely be a consideration

Yes, its all spin, i dont think we have any concern, I think its all back to Adelaide. The fact Port is having a bad season and Danger will leave, Lions will get fair compo.

Yes, its all spin, i dont think we have any concern, I think its all back to Adelaide. The fact Port is having a bad season and Danger will leave, Lions will get fair compo.
yep - I think we end up with the Danger compo pick for him for mine

I still wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at a club like Collingwood, given he was a fan of Nathan Buckley's and would probably relish the chance to be coached by him....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back