Autopsy Half yearly review

Rating of our year to date?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Half way through the year (ok, technically not but it's the bye week so shush) we sit:
  • Third on the ladder
  • Third best percentage
  • Third most points scored
  • Sixth least points against
Thoughts on how the year has gone so far?

Areas we've done well or not?

Improvements to be made over the second half of the year?

It's open slather on the season so far!

At expectations. Probably expected 3rd to 6th. Need a lot to go right to get top 2 which is what we probably need to make the GF and I don't think we've done enough so far to look like a top 2 team

This is the first year where I think even if we finish 3 or 4, we can still roll 1 or 2 in week 1. Obviously top
2 makes it a lot easier but I don’t think finishing 3 or 4 is fatal.

I think we have played a more consistent 'brand' of footy this year, which is more likely to hold up come finals time and even though yesterday was disappointing I still think we have more chance of at least making the GF this year compared to previous years.

In regards to some players.

Good:
Payne - improved out of sight.
Joe - has been far more consistent, even with a 'down' game yesterday.
Charlie - has always been able to kick goals, but his pressure and intensity this year is next level. Clear best small forward in the game now.
Dunkley - has been a solid contributor in his first year, hopefully can only keep getting better too.
Cam - Seems to be more consistent this year compared to previous years. Still think he has another level in him, but signs have been good this year.
Harris - shocking game yesterday but prior to that has been back to AA type form.
McKenna - has given the backline a different look, with someone actually able to run and create. Been a worthwhile recruit, and I hope we can hold onto him for at least a couple more years.

Not so good:
Gunston - enough said of his contribution so far.
Hugh - has been a bit better the last few weeks, but given his previous standards and where we hoped he would get to this year, he hasn't kicked on. Yet.
Jerry - similar to Hugh really I think. Absolutely dominated that second half of the final last year and I think we all hoped this would be him moving forward, but unfortunately I don't think the body will ever allow him to play that role full time.
Rich - everyone lauded him for his preseason but I think its obvious to everyone now that the end is nigh unfortunately.
Linc - seems to get a pretty good ride from a lot on here for someone who doesn't get a whole lot of ball or kick many goals. Perhaps we could get the same amount of pressure he provides, but be more dangerous offensively with Kai in that role for example.

So-so years for their usual standards - Lachie, Oscar, Starce, Bailey, Zorko etc.

As I said above, I still think this is our most realistic chance of competing for the flag. I just hope Fages isn't wedded to a few blokes currently in the team when we may be better off trying a couple of other guys from the reserves and/or positional changes with players currently in the team.

Last edited:
At expectations. I think there is still upside for the second half of the year.

We performed a bit average in the second half of last year but I don’t think we are in the same position last year. We got flogged by ten goals after the bye in a game where we never even looked close to playing on the Dees’ level.

Whatever happens I’m glad I can watch winning football for most of the rest of the season with great crowds at the Gabba. It was weird because the third quarter of the game yesterday was pretty entertaining to watch bar the end with how well we controlled the game. Always a delight to see the ball never cross to an opponent’s half.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think we have played a more consistent 'brand' of footy this year, which is more likely to hold up come finals time and even though yesterday was disappointing I still think we have more chance of at least making the GF this year compared to previous years.

In regards to some players.

Good:
Payne - improved out of sight.
Joe - has been far more consistent, even with a 'down' game yesterday.
Charlie - has always been able to kick goals, but his pressure and intensity this year is next level. Clear best small forward in the game now.
Dunkley - has been a solid contributor in his first year, hopefully can only keep getting better too.
Cam - Seems to be more consistent this year, compared to previous years. Still think he has another level in him, but signs have been good this year.
Harris - shocking game yesterday but prior to that, has been been to AA type form.

Not so good:
Gunston - enough said of his contribution so far.
Hugh - has been a bit better the last few weeks, but given his previous standards and where we hoped he would get to this year, he hasn't kicked on. Yet.
Jerry - similar to Hugh really I think. Absolutely dominated that second half of the final last year and I think we all hoped this would be him moving forward, but unfortunately I don't think the body will ever allow him to play that role for time.
Rich - everyone lauded him for his preseason, but I think its obvious to everyone now that the end is nigh unfortunately.
Linc - seems to get a pretty good ride from a lot on here for someone who doesn't get a whole lot of ball or kick many goals. Perhaps we could get the same amount of pressure he provides, but be far more dangerous offensively with Kai in that role for example.

So-so years for their usual standards - Lachie, Oscar, Starce, Bailey, Zorko etc.

As I said above, I still think this is our most realistic chance of competing for the flag. I just hope Fages isn't wedded to a few blokes currently in the team when we may be better off with trying a couple of other guys from the reserves and/or positional changes with players currently in the team.

The thing with Linc similar to McStay in the past is sure they're C graders at best but we don't have better options in the 2s to execute the gameplan we want to execute

I think defensively we've improved with the biggest differences being Payne who I think is also responsible for Andrews finding form. Also McKenna adding some pace

Kiddy has probably gone backwards a bit and Rich isn't near his 2021 form

Midfield has definitely improved the contested work but skill has cost us 2 games already this season against the Bulldogs and Crows

Forwards have taken things to the next level and we've held the ball in our forwardline really well giving Joe and Charlie heaps of opportunities

We performed a bit average in the second half of last year but I don’t think we are in the same position last year. We got flogged by ten goals after the bye in a game where we never even looked close to playing on the Dees’ level.

Whatever happens I’m glad I can watch winning football for most of the rest of the season with great crowds at the Gabba. It was weird because the third quarter of the game yesterday was pretty entertaining to watch bar the end with how well we controlled the game. Always a delight to see the ball never cross to an opponent’s half.

We get the hawks just before their bye so I am hoping for a drubbing

As I said above, I still think this is our most realistic chance of competing for the flag. I just hope Fages isn't wedded to a few blokes currently in the team when we may be better off with trying a couple of other guys from the reserves and/or positional changes with players currently in the team.

I think defensively we've improved with the biggest differences being Payne who I think is also responsible for Andrews finding form. Also McKenna adding some pace

Midfield has definitely improved the contested work but skill has cost us 2 games already this season against the Bulldogs and Crows

Forwards have taken things to the next level and we've held the ball in our forwardline really well giving Joe and Charlie heaps of opportunities
These both sum up where I'm at too. I feel like we've improved our floor with our better defensive work, especially up forward but also through the middle, while our ceiling of "beat anyone on our day" is basically about the same.

We're more consistent as a result but stuff like last week's game really needs to be examined because IMO that's still the type of game we should not be losing, regardless of being due or poor execution.

With a couple of changes we now have the team to get to a GF if we get 2 home finals.

We're still not out of it if we finish 3rd or 4th and could beat 1 or 2 away on our good days but it just makes it that much harder. Doubt we would get there if we lost the first final . But not impossible.

It all depends on whether Rayner ,Berry ,Bailey ,McCluggage etc get to the level they're capable of and those who've been consistent performers hold their form. And our injury list remains light.

We won all contested measures against the Crows? Unless you mean Port where we didn’t win a single contest?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the biggest thing I've taken out of the first half of this season is that this is the first season there's a game plan and team identity that I think can genuinely win a flag if we execute it.

The improvement in the forward half pressure as well as step up in defensive midfield pressure (led by Dunkley) that generates turnovers and leads to inside 50 stoppage situations is a sustainable game plan as long as we continue to bring the effort. It utilises our biggest strengths - forward line brilliance from our medium and small forwards, and our strength around the contest, while also covering for our defenders not being the best one-on-one. The ball hasn't necessarily gone into our defensive 50 less than previous years, but when we're playing well, the ball comes in much more haphazardly which plays to our defenders strengths, especially Andrews.

Our three loses this year (especially vs Port, but also Adelaide), these factors have dropped off and we've seen the end results.

I think the benefit of this game plan is that the variable is less reliant on our skill levels and luck, and more related to effort levels which we can control.

Last edited:
I still question our ability to win really high pressure games away from the Gabba and unfortunately our away draw isn’t favourable:

Demons - MCG
Saints - Marvel
Dockers - OS
Collingwood - Marvel

& I think Suns will put put up a better fight down the highway. All in all it will be a tough second half to the year but also an opportunity to really develop that hard edge away from home that I think we are still lacking.

I went at expectations in the poll although overall I think we are in a better spot for a flag tilt than at anytime since we rose up the ladder in 2019.

1- Our defensive run and pressure moving forward style has pressured 2 very good sides in the Demons and Magpies into errors and resulted in wins.
2- Downside to point 1 is we need the players in the side who can implement that new pressure defensive style which means IMO there should be no room in the side for Rich or Gunston, it burns us on turnover/transition.
3- Huge positive is Jack Payne's emergence as a genuine A grade KPD.
4- A backhanded positive is that we are where we are despite quite a few of our good to elite players being well down or only showing glimpses of their best form eg. Bailey, McCluggage, Zorko, Berry, Starcevich... if most of them come good by finals, we will at the least make the GF.... IMO.

FWIW this is the side(if all fit and in form) I would love to see us roll out come September >

Conor McKenna, Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardiner.
Keidean Coleman, Jack Payne, Brandon Starcevich.

Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Josh Dunkley.
Will Ashcroft, Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage.

Zac Bailey, Eric Hipwood, Lincoln McCarthy.
Charlie Cameron, Joe Daniher, Kai Lohmann.

Bench- Darcy Fort, Darcy Wilmot(7th back), Dayne Zorko, Cam Rayner.

Sub-
Callum Ah Chee/Jaxon Prior/Dev Robertson/Ryan Lester/Harry Sharp/James Madden - Happy with any of them as the sub.

All the sub options to put pressure on for a senior spot.

A- I much prefer Wilmot down back than on a wing.
B- I did like what Sharp was starting to show as a wing, could easily come in.
C- Berry been down but he has done great jobs on opposing mids in big games, Sharp pressuring him if it's solely as a winger.
D- Lester and Gardiner very close as the 3rd tall defender, Gardiner at his best ahead though.
E- I think we would be better off with 2 rucks come finals, both O and Fort are handy forward and create contests down the line, both good clearance/ground level players for big men.

At the start of the year I sit down with my 13yo and we both go through the ladder predictor, making based last years form and guessing what team improvements will be. I had the Lions at 8 - 3 going into the bye, but with loss's to the Demons, Pies and the Blues.
I've now just done another one for the remainder of the season, again using just my own opinions and current team form. I don't play with the %. I have us finishing 6th, 17 -6, with loss's to the Demons, Magpies and the Dockers.

Pros - defensive pressure. I've seen it written here before, but I think the change-up of the assistant coaches and their roles and has seen the vast improvement from last year. It also helps with the addition of Dunkley.

Cons - I won't mention any names (former hawk). I'm not saying I want McGone back, but not having someone to stand in a pack and hold their ground and either mark or at least bring the ball to ground is hurting us.

Attachments

• Bye predictions.PNG
    Bye predictions.PNG
    11.3 KB · Views: 36
At the start of the year I sit down with my 13yo and we both go through the ladder predictor, making based last years form and guessing what team improvements will be. I had the Lions at 8 - 3 going into the bye, but with loss's to the Demons, Pies and the Blues.
I've now just done another one for the remainder of the season, again using just my own opinions and current team form. I don't play with the %. I have us finishing 6th, 17 -6, with loss's to the Demons, Magpies and the Dockers.

Pros - defensive pressure. I've seen it written here before, but I think the change-up of the assistant coaches and their roles and has seen the vast improvement from last year. It also helps with the addition of Dunkley.

Cons - I won't mention any names (former hawk). I'm not saying I want McGone back, but not having someone to stand in a pack and hold their ground and either mark or at least bring the ball to ground is hurting us.

I miss McStay regardless of his form or how Gunston is going. He just seemed chill and happy and was just good vibes.

The team is definitely ticking along better then at this time last year, and overall our game style has looking much more convincing. With a bit more luck and polish, we could of won the dogs and crows games (perhaps you could say we SHOULD have won those matches).

I voted that they have exceeded expectations, as we have clearly improved this season. It will really depend on if we can get all our players hitting their best form over the next 12 weeks, and as mentioned a few tough away games coming up that will be must wins if we are to finish top 4.

I feel we would have to go top 4 and at least win the our first final to have a shot at the granny. If we can get there then who knows what happens on the big day. Getting some away wins in the back half of the year will give me some confidence.

As others have said, we still have players yet to hit, not even their best, but their average best. Others I feel like Neale are purposely building into the season for the finals crack. Interesting to see how young Ashcroft finishes out the year.

Wilmot except for yesterday's match has had a stellar year.

Sometimes I still think we're mentally weak. But in reality you can't really be 100% on for every single match.

Also glad to have goal of the year wrapped up. My bias is showing but Ascroft to win rising star as well. Sadly they won't factor in the positional intricacies and give it to a half back.... Eugh

No way 17 and 6 finishes 6th.

For me it’s not that we have lost some games, but rather the manner of the loses that has been disappointing.

Still feels like we have to find more within our team to not be viewed as pretenders.

Back