Review Season in review 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

My review is the season, player by player Part IV

Rich - not at the heights of his previous season and showing signs of being a veteran now. Entering probably his final year he can hopefully be a big contributor next season. His experience still counts for a lot but the speed of the game may be a limiting factor in his impact. A B-ish season by his standards with a smattering of B+ and A-. Hopefully he can finish with a really strong one.

Robertson - worked hard to make himself part of the best 22 and shoes he belongs. Now the mission, assuming he doesn’t ask for a trade, is to secure a role with the addition of Ashcroft and Dunkley. He really just needs to make work ethic defensively his mantra so that he is simply too important to leave out. B standard season this year but improvement could get him to B+ and make him a regular part of the rotation in midfield/wing/forward.

Robinson - thanks Robbo. You were there during some dark times and always gave your all. A career redeemed by heading north. B level season as the body slowed down, but never stopped trying.

Sharp- glimpses of good, patches of ordinary. Still yet to really define a role I think. Still something to work with but next season needs to probably turn some heads. C grade but those glimpses are worth another year I think.

ESmith - improved but probably not enough. A big body, reasonable skills and determined enough but has never quite kicked on. Will potentially make a great player at VFL level but hard to see much more. C grade.

HSmith - has come a long way even if still very raw. Starting to look like a useful tall AFL player but just needs a little more time. One that a big preseason will help kick on. High hopes for him if we persevere. Started the season as C grade, finished at B-. Hopefully the improvement continues at that rate next season.

We don’t know how Fages addresses the performance issues within the 4 walls. I don’t find any comfort from a coach publicly lashing his players in a post match presser when he is obviously upset and has not had a chance to even talk to his players.
I am more than happy with his pressers - very polished performer, win, lose or draw… must be bloody hard yakka after a bad loss.
It's not lashing the players to just be a bit honest and give the supporters some indication that behind the 4 walls it's not Shangri-La.

That's just good management of all facets of the club imo.

It's not lashing the players to just be a bit honest and give the supporters some indication that behind the 4 walls it's not Shangri-La.

That's just good management of all facets of the club imo.

I doubt this is what you are after because I don’t think the club is ever going to operate the way some supporters would like it to, but for what it is worth, about this time last year, I discussed with the close relative of a young Lions player that the external messaging delivered by coaches and players is one thing but the internal messaging must be quite another. This actually arose from a discussion about Neale and his level of professionalism.

The talk on the inside is very much clear, targeted and specific, especially after poor performances. At least some of this attitude is driven by players, with Neale being mentioned as one who always pushed for a culture of external calm and measured analysis without arm waving and big angry scenes. Yet internally honest and clear criticism delivered fairly, professionally and constructively. Possibly very different to the culture Ross Lyon had at Freo when he was there.

The relative said that Neale told him, in reference to the young player, he was in the right culture to develop because he was going to feel supported, yet dealt with honestly by coaches and other players about how he had to improve. And happy to say he has improved.

had a convo with someone regarding how covid affected the season this year (league-wide)

we had that one game, and then several others with a single player missing out due to protocols. Of course West Coast too were hit the most. Were there other teams who had multiples out, or was it more a random player here and there getting hit with the protocol sit out

had a convo with someone regarding how covid affected the season this year (league-wide)

we had that one game, and then several others with a single player missing out due to protocols. Of course West Coast too were hit the most. Were there other teams who had multiples out, or was it more a random player here and there getting hit with the protocol sit out

I think North had a few out one week

Imo we are impressively run. The differing needs of players for motivation isn't new, nor is the need to placate the media vipers. Re player mgmt, the professionalism which the Lions are regarded for is speaking for itself. Re puff add-nothingers, keeping cool when those nuffs want anything to write about to justify their unnecessary existence is a subtle art

Imo we are impressively run. The differing needs of players for motivation isn't new, nor is the need to placate the media vipers. Re player mgmt, the professionalism which the Lions are regarded for is speaking for itself. Re puff add-nothingers, keeping cool when those nuffs want anything to write about to justify their unnecessary existence is a subtle art
Those of us who have been around clubs for a long time know all this and all of the things that AFLQ posted as well.

The inner sanctum of officials and players are party to their own journey of togetherness that builds a solid fabric.

But is it not too much to realise that at the end of the day if you don't grow and keep a supporter base then in this era you're done.

Give the mob something when you put in a crap showing .

Those of us who have been around clubs for a long time know all this and all of the things that AFLQ posted as well.

The inner sanctum of officials and players are party to their own journey of togetherness that builds a solid fabric.

But is it not too much to realise that at the end of the day if you don't grow and keep a supporter base then in this era you're done.

Give the mob something when you put in a crap showing .
My post was just my 2c, I think your position is justified also.

At the end of the day I saw the frustration of the team at the ground v cats. I also temper that with the fact Chris Scott was sitting near me in a corporate box against dees looking pretty chill, and they were ready to jump us as they should've.

I hope injuries aren't why we struggle sometimes but feels like that's the case

At the end of the day I saw the frustration of the team at the ground v cats. I also temper that with the fact Chris Scott was sitting near me in a corporate box against dees looking pretty chill, and they were ready to jump us as they should've.

I think a combination.

We weren't quite good enough and Daniher ,Zorko and probably some others were sore.

Throw in McStay who just went through the motions ( sorry ,but that's how it looked ) , our best player at the time in Rayner injured and off , Oscar and Ah Chee not fully recovered from concussions ( if you've ever been concussed you know this ), and in hindsight we were ripe for the picking.

I think a combination.

We weren't quite good enough and Daniher ,Zorko and probably some others were sore.

Throw in McStay who just went through the motions ( sorry ,but that's how it looked ) , our best player at the time in Rayner injured and off , Oscar and Ah Chee not fully recovered from concussions ( if you've ever been concussed you know this ), and in hindsight we were ripe for the picking.
Yeah I just don't know, at the ground it was cold, windy, def not a home game or away from home game vibe, and we played to our structures. But I am right in the camp before the game with anyone here saying lets roll the dice and do something interesting to throw them off to just overcome whatever we thought they would bring. I said a couple of weeks ago Priors defensive positioning should have seem him remain, and Matho was in ripe form so Im not dropping him. Fort competent in ruck and thoughtful inside 50 deliverer, Fullarton good by hand at ground level and gamesense so why bring in cooked guys if they arent right. Maybe they didnt have trust in Mcstay to move the magnets that much I dont know. As a supporter I am not that engaged but I have accepted the arguments to trust the process from the outside as the macro picture looks pretty good

I was fortunate to see the team almost straight after the game downstairs in the rooms. The disappointment & grief of what transpired of all was enormous. I kinda felt like I was intruding and felt like I should leave them alone to grieve as you do like a family grieving a loved one.
Some things should be left to the club to deal with privately and not shared with supporters....despite what some may think they are entitled to, some things are best kept private for several reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We clearly finished the season "sore" with a couple of key players also missing. I guess an off-season will freshen up sore bodies, allow time for concussions to settle and some surgeries will be booked:
Adams - concussion and hand injury. Fingers crossed on his nasty concussion but a worry
JL - groin injury - surgery?
Joe Daniher - shoulder surgery?
Big O - concussion
Ah Chee - concussion

Do we know of any players needing post season surgery?

When do the exit meetings commence Mighty Lions ? Hopefully then we’ll get the confirmation from McStay as well as possibly some idea what Dizz is doing and possibly if anyone else was putting their hand up to leave etc. Then we will know what we’re playing with at trade time too I suppose.

We clearly finished the season "sore" with a couple of key players also missing. I guess an off-season will freshen up sore bodies, allow time for concussions to settle and some surgeries will be booked:
Adams - concussion and hand injury. Fingers crossed on his nasty concussion but a worry
Big O - concussion
Ah Chee - concussion

Rayners injury looked pretty bad

Does anyone know if berrys shoulders can be fixed? Surely it’s worth getting him 100%. Only 24 and could be a star if 100%

gee Brownie has given us the wrong end of the pineapple last few weeks , has been very critical in the media

spose we deserve most of it but we could use a friend about now !!

Big O - concussion
Ah Chee - concussion

Daniher will definitely need surgery, when he did it it was a choice between doing it then or in the off-season.
JL - surgery is an option for OP but it depends, might turn out to be necessary given he was struggling in the VFL at the end though.
Harro might need something on his knees and there's probably a bunch of other shoulders that need some degree of work. Trash joint overall really*.

* yes I have an ongoing grudge against shoulders and I'm not going to stop

I was fortunate to see the team almost straight after the game downstairs in the rooms. The disappointment & grief of what transpired of all was enormous. I kinda felt like I was intruding and felt like I should leave them alone to grieve as you do like a family grieving a loved one.
Some things should be left to the club to deal with privately and not shared with supporters....despite what some may think they are entitled to, some things are best kept private for several reasons.
I'm not saying that didn't happen and I take your word for it, but some of the footage after the game was quite the contrary with a lot of laughter and happy faces on many of the faces of some of the players and there family & friends. It is what it is I guess.

I'm not saying that didn't happen and I take your word for it, but some of the footage after the game was quite the contrary with a lot of laughter and happy faces on many of the faces of some of the players and there family & friends. It is what it is I guess.
That's often what you as supporter's see and judge on but not necessarily what it is. If you played footy yourself, you will know the disappointment in losing an important game. The Lions footy club isn't much different to club footy but on a bigger scale. They hurt and still hurt...and so they should.

That's often what you as supporter's see and judge on but not necessarily what it is. If you played footy yourself, you will know the disappointment in losing an important game. The Lions footy club isn't much different to club footy but on a bigger scale. They hurt and still hurt...and so they should.
So you are something more than a "supporter" which we mere numpty's on bigfooty arent? - that's how your post reads.

Nonetheless, alot of what was shown in the post game contradicts a bit of what you said but I take on board they were all hurting, although given the lack of effort, I doubt they'd of been hurting like Pies players who literally gave it everything they had and never once gave up -not sure you can honestly say that about us and if you do, then we were watching a different game given the insipid effort last friday.

So you are something more than a "supporter" which we mere numpty's on bigfooty arent? - that's how your post reads.

Nonetheless, alot of what was shown in the post game contradicts a bit of what you said but I take on board they were all hurting, although given the lack of effort, I doubt they'd of been hurting like Pies players who literally gave it everything they had and never once gave up -not sure you can honestly say that about us and if you do, then we were watching a different game given the insipid effort last friday.
Take it the way you want mate. I didn't name call you or anyone names, but if that's the way you see it so be it. For the record, I dont think many on BF are numpty's.
Your assessment of the game is yours. To say their effort was insipid is pretty dis-respectful in my opinion but again thats your opinion and good for you or anyone else who thinks the same....Its a prelim final....they all gave their best effort but was soundly beaten by a better side on the day. If any of them went out and gave anything less than their best effort(none of them did), they should be delisted immediately.

I love MLs input, obviously has some sort of insider knowledge on the Lions, what level of access that is is anybody's guess.

ML = Dom Fay:think:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back