Women's Footy Non-Lions AFLW Discussion 2023 (Season 8)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they were saying they might only have 19 players available this week, so that's definitely part of it.
Their names side is more experienced than Sydney's, but I did have to add a bunch of recently delisted players into their squad this week.
Screenshot_20231021-072245.png

Wasn't sure where to put this so I picked this thread but feel free to move it if it belongs somewhere else. Also not sure if you guys have seen this already but this is a very significant announcement for the future of women's footy in Queensland. Having the elite all girls schools in SEQ competing against one another in a genuine footy competition is absolutely massive because the schools will put proper funding and resources towards it, start handing out scholarships to junior prospects etc. The Lions will obviously benefit more than the Suns from this with 7 of the 9 schools being based in Brisbane and extra 1 in Ipswich that falls in your academy zone but St Hilda's on the Gold Coast also competes in the QGSSSA competition so we should experience some benefit too (helps that the sports director there is a former Sun). Now we just need to convince those pesky GPS schools to follow suit.

Kangaroos finish third despite not beating anyone higher than sixth.

Good thing we beat Melbourne - we could've had a situation where Gold Coast also finished ahead of us in fourth having not beaten any team higher than 7th.

It'll be good to have another 2 H&A rounds next season, but the comp will always struggle for credibility to some extent until it can get to 17 rounds.

Kangaroos finish third despite not beating anyone higher than sixth.

Good thing we beat Melbourne - we could've had a situation where Gold Coast also finished ahead of us in fourth having not beaten any team higher than 7th.

It'll be good to have another 2 H&A rounds next season, but the comp will always struggle for credibility to some extent until it can get to 17 rounds.
It is a seriously compromised competition. Everyone knows it. I kind of get the feeling that the AFL will be a bit annoyed that they got all the top teams to play each other and they still ended up back at the top.

They will try to find new ways to “equalise” the competition again next season I’m sure (ie. give a lovely fixture to some big Vic clubs).

Also, not too long now till the annual scavenger hunt begins where Melbourne clubs, with money and “non-footy opportunities” to throw around, come a-calling for our girls. There aren’t too many clubs without ex-Lions players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bates outright said in her interview she left not because of footy prospects as she said… she needed to think about life after footy. It’s a major issue with all the extra opportunities for Vic clubs

Bates outright said in her interview she left not because of footy prospects as she said… she needed to think about life after footy. It’s a major issue with all the extra opportunities for Vic clubs
That was the story to justify the decision…

If you arent playing footy to achieve success what are you actually playing for then ?

Her life after footy she is 28 and bates always came across to me as more about the career then the game. That is footy was a job to her.

I suspect Wardlaw was the attraction of the big city, don’t know enough about Bodie to know what her motivation was.

I suspect teams will come after us again at the end of the season with them going after players like Ellenger and orla . Hopefully someone pillages Melbourne for a change…

We will hopefully get lutkins back next year ( not sure how she will be after a year out of footy and her age) and saw some lovely things from Hampson and dunne on the weekend.

Dunne just impresses me so much at how much she is improving, her toughness and willingness to take the game on. She I think has all the attributes to become lutkins at her peak but with better athleticism

Grider also played the best game of her season this week. I think she does so much better with bree in the backline

We will hopefully get lutkins back next year ( not sure how she will be after a year out of footy and her age) and saw some lovely things from Hampson and dunne on the weekend.

Dunne just impresses me so much at how much she is improving, her toughness and willingness to take the game on. She I think has all the attributes to become lutkins at her peak but with better athleticism

Grider also played the best game of her season this week. I think she does so much better with bree in the backline

Lutkins was slowing down last season and after a season off I wouldn't expect too much

Suns getting mauled. Thought the loss of Rowbottom was going to be a problem for them, but there are a few ladies here who are not handling the occasion
Agree, most of them are not looking where they are kicking the ball.

Posted in the wrong thread but the umpiring in this game is SO bad. So so bad. If you thought our game was bad this is next level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back