Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Well the question was asked whose cat was run over…likely Bre’s. She has more involvement in list management than any other GM in the comp. But hey, maybe it is Starcevich. But whoever kept playing Dee over Lulu based on the performances last year, I don’t get it…and Dee over numerous others this year.
As I said if Bre's involvement in list management results in the type of success the women are having, more credit to her. Give her more of it.

Your second point about one player being played ahead of another who is supposedly more deserving is your opinion. Results on field (facts) counter your argument.

Agreed…I think if you are not ‘in’ with Bre Brock then you don’t get a game. Don’t know how Lulu wasn’t getting games last year over Dee Heslop at least, if not Phoebe as well. I wonder if some of the many that have now left have suffered the same experience, as I would have thought a number of them would have also been getting games over those mentioned above.
Yeah, there had to be something not football-related with Heslop being preferred over Lulu last year. It was pretty clear Lulu was the better player then (even more so now) even though she had played way fewer games.

And I didn't understand Heslop continuing to get games this year when she seemed to have virtually no impact on the field, especially with seemingly promising players like Hillier never getting a run.

We lose a lot of players, but we are probably the best-performing team in the comp. It might not always be fair behind the scenes, but the results speak for themselves, what they have achieved is pretty incredible.

Heslop is a pure stopper and she does a lot of bodywork offscreen which you don’t see. If you go to the games and watch what she does, she does a lot of blocking and sacrificial stuff which don’t get her stats

Heslop is a pure stopper and she does a lot of bodywork offscreen which you don’t see. If you go to the games and watch what she does, she does a lot of blocking and sacrificial stuff which don’t get her stats
Have been to all the games and have watched. Her role would be fine if she played on dangerous, gun forwards but she doesn’t.

Without making any judgements about the players concerned, I remember a very experienced local footy coach saying that too many players with high skill and not enough sacrificial side to their game really hurts the team over the long haul. He used to say that you can get away with one or two as X factor players, knowing they will rarely sacrifice their game for the good of the team. They won’t deliberately be selfish, it is just the way they instinctively play the game. But you have to balance those two out with four more who may not have the skill level but will be where you need them to be and do the things that won’t get noticed by most.

He said that most years, when he was giving out a coach’s award, it went to one of those players who does the real unspectacular background stuff - tracking back to cover an opposition player who probably won’t get the ball but does it just in case, leading to space all game that will do no more than draw a defender away from the real targets, being willing to take a tackle and get a stoppage rather than go for the spectacular higher risk, high reward option, because that is what the moment called for. A guy who got four touches for the game but shut down a whole section of the ground for the opposition to use effectively because he did the personally unrewarding stuff.

I would imagine at the professional level, getting the balance right must be constantly on the minds of coaching staff. I know of one young player at a Vic club who wasn’t going to get games because he threw the team out of balance too much. Definitely more talent than the guy who got selected but it just didn’t work on the field.

Well, I just completed some edits of Shanae Davison from West Coast's Rnd 10 fixture ..... but unfortunately you can't view it ..... youtube says it's copyright material.
So you will just have to skip through the match replay yourself (if your interested in seeing what Shanae my bring to the Lions).

My viewing of this one fixture is that she will certainly be pushing for a starting position come round 1 next season.
And I would concur with Bre Brock's appraisal:
“Shanae is someone that we’ve identified fits our game style to a tee.

“Her ability to break lines and create great run on the outside is something we really value, and we feel she will be a great addition.
If you want a quick snapshot of what Eleanor may bring, just cue up the West Coast Rnd 10 replay, from the AFL site, to 7.07.

Eleanor Harthill I could best describe as a developing Ruck prospect who probably slots in as the more experienced replacement for Courtney Murphy (who would have been described similarly re developing).

Last edited:
So this article from the good humans at RMC seems to clear up some of the vagaries around the bidding process. When matching a bid, the next pick has to come within a "round", so within the following 18 picks or so.

As I read it:
  • Evie Long from our Academy can be bid on by anyone (as she's nominated nationally). If it's in the first round we'll have to match by giving up our Pick 20.
  • If we don't have to match a bid in the first round, we could potentially bid on both of the Suns' top-rated girls (McMullen and Bischa) and the Suns would only be able to match one as their pick 45 would be too late to match.
  • The only club who could bid for Sophie Peters and Rania Crozier from our Academy are Gold Coast as they've both nominated Queensland, but they'll likely be either matching our bids by the time our five picks are done or bidding n one of our girls at 35 which we'd match with pick 36. So they're already effectively Lions, assuming we're still keen on them.
Personally, I'd prefer the Qld clubs not bid on each others' Academy players - I think it works out better talent-wise for both clubs - but we might be reaching a point where the gloves are off.

Last edited:
So this article from the good humans at RMC seems to clear up some of the vagaries around the bidding process. When matching a bid, the next pick has to come within a "round", so within the following 18 picks.

As I read it:
  • Evie Long from our Academy can be bid on by anyone (as she's nominated nationally). If it's in the first round we'll have to match by giving up our Pick 20.
  • If we don't have to match a bid in the first round, we could potentially bid on both of the Suns' top-rated girls (McMullen and Bischa) and the Suns would only be able to match one as their pick 45 would be too late to match.
  • The only club who could bid for Sophie Peters and Rania Crozier from our Academy are Gold Coast as they've both nominated Queensland, but they'll likely be matching bids by the time our five picks are done. So they're already effecivly Lions, assuming we're still keen on them.
Personally, I'd prefer the Qld clubs not bid on each others' Academy players - I think it works out better talent-wise for both clubs - but we might be reaching a point where the gloves are off.
Yeah, from what I can see we have 25 on the list which means 5 spots.

Can't imagine the club not being keen on Peters and Crozier. Would def prefer the northern clubs to stay out of each other's way, but both McMullen and Bischa look really tempting.

I suppose we will know one way or the other if the clubs do have an unofficial hands-off policy on each other's academies.

Evie Long is our unknown in this draft. If a bid come early for her, will we take her. I certainly think we will take Sophie Peters and Rania Crozier. After that we may try to take Bischa off Gold Coast, who I feel will take McMullen as their first pick.

Interesting that Long nominated nationally rather than state based. She is a hard one to place in the rankings but seems to have good traits. A history of concussion never looks good though.

Evie Long is our unknown in this draft. If a bid come early for her, will we take her. I certainly think we will take Sophie Peters and Rania Crozier. After that we may try to take Bischa off Gold Coast, who I feel will take McMullen as their first pick.

Interesting that Long nominated nationally rather than state based. She is a hard one to place in the rankings but seems to have good traits. A history of concussion never looks good though.

Nominated nationally = off to Melbourne some time soon.

Yep, multiple concussions is a bit of a concern from a first round bid perspective. I believe we'll match after pick 20 for sure.

Nominated nationally = off to Melbourne some time soon.

Might as well get her for a second round and build solid depth. Who knows, she may have nominated nationally after concussion issues. Getting drafted may looked like a not so sure thing at that point. If she wants a trade later then so be it.

With a profile and traits stated below, I'll take her for sure if available.

1702718038161.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno. I thought she looked pretty slow this year and we went past her as a key back.

Great effort to go out a premiership player
Re phoebe monahan. I thought that at times in the season too but then she’d surprise me. She played some really important quarters, limited time on the field and gave her all. To make up for lack of speed she kept her feet in contests and made well judged spoils. She’s been a handy player over the last couple of years. Chippie too. Respect.

Given that we'll be under no pressure to take our other top Academy girls, I wouldn't have any problem matching in the first round if it played out that way.

Last edited:
Just wants to get on a list. Would love to stay here if it works out that way

Looks like it will. We have pick 21 which is first round so any bid in first round can be matched by Lions. Sophie Peters has nominated QLD only so there is a stack of picks in that 20s range which we can use to get her as well along with Rania Crozier, before Gold Coast enters draft.

It would've become tricky if Sophie nominated for national as well, thankfully she didn't. I think we can get all the girls we're after.

Watched this one again. So many players with potential apart from Long and Crozier - Baldwick, Sheriden, Baron, Talbot.

If we pair Talbot with Hodder in our forward line that'll be a nightmare for opposition defenders.

I have not seen any of them live but solely based on video and reports. i would say Long, Peters, Crozier and Baldwick. Not sure on Talbot. I liked the look of Baron. Crozier's kicking technique will need a little work, very athletic though. Also, Sheridan was just delisted. She has a nice kicking technique. Not sure what she wasn't doing to retain her place.

I think there will also be a left field option or two. We have often seen something in someone that is not on the radar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back