Non-Lions discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

What about rehabilitating personalities?
No thanks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, nah.
Same sort of reservations were aired on here about Mitch Robinson and Luke Hodge before their recruitment ... also Cam Rayner pre draft.

We really don't have much of an idea of someone's character and values if we base it on largely click bait media reports.

Going purely on his footy ability he looks pretty decent to me.

Same sort of reservations were aired on here about Mitch Robinson and Luke Hodge before their recruitment ... also Cam Rayner pre draft.

We really don't have much of an idea of someone's character and values if we base it on largely click bait media reports.

Going purely on his footy ability he looks pretty decent to me.

Getting suspended for taking drugs isn't a click bait media report and it's very damning in terms of his commitment

Getting suspended for taking drugs isn't a click bait media report and it's very damning in terms of his commitment

I'm interested in what Dunkley has to say on this one.
If Dunkley says he's alright and off-field shenanigans can be sorted, I'd go for it.

IMO we would be surprised how many players indulge in drugs and don't get caught, maybe even some play at the Lions.

He is a supremely fit athlete so he obviously has a commitment to preparation.

I also agree with mpal6 , re getting Josh Dunkley's opinion.

IMO we would be surprised how many players indulge in drugs and don't get caught, maybe even some play at the Lions.

to caveat this post, the chances of smith being a brisbane player in 2025 are about 0 i reckon.

but the reporting around the time dunkley requested a trade to us had a lot of content about him being unhappy about the standards at the club, particularly professionalism. a significant driver for his trade request appeared to be wanting to leave footscray due to standards and culture not being up to what he considered that which AFL players should hold themselves accountable to. caroline wilson spoke about it on a few occasions in particular that i remember.

smith has been fairly underwhelming since 2021. between getting suspended for drug use, dunkley's trade request and ex vice captain and father / son player hunter basically being forced out of the club, there is enough smoke to believe there is a culture issue at footscray and smith being a part of it. whether he is a significant driver of this culture or merely a participant is something impossible to judge, but he has certainly not hit the heights it looked like he was going to at the back end of 2021. i think its valid to question his professionalism and commitment to being the best player he can be in light of these factors.

im not naive enough to think that recreational drugs arent commonplace in the circles footballers run in. but there does come a point where those drugs and the activities associated with them start to impede professional performance. clayton oliver's 2023 is an easy example to point to for this.

the best thing for smith is probably to sign a 2 year deal at footscray, commit totally to his rehab and try recapture something resembling close to his best footy in 2025. acl's are up there for worst injury a young footballer can have, and seeing out the next 12 months with some contract stability might be good for his headspace.

I would also say I hold less against guys for who they were early in their career. You can see a lot of them (like Mitch) mature as they get older and get a bit of a wakeup call. So if a guy is a bit of a dickhead when 18-21, he might be very different into his mid/late 20s or early 30s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would also say I hold less against guys for who they were early in their career. You can see a lot of them (like Mitch) mature as they get older and get a bit of a wakeup call. So if a guy is a bit of a dickhead when 18-21, he might be very different into his mid/late 20s or early 30s.
Plenty of examples of players that started their careers as dickheads and ended their careers as dickheads though.

to caveat this post, the chances of smith being a brisbane player in 2025 are about 0 i reckon.

but the reporting around the time dunkley requested a trade to us had a lot of content about him being unhappy about the standards at the club, particularly professionalism. a significant driver for his trade request appeared to be wanting to leave footscray due to standards and culture not being up to what he considered that which AFL players should hold themselves accountable to. caroline wilson spoke about it on a few occasions in particular that i remember.

smith has been fairly underwhelming since 2021. between getting suspended for drug use, dunkley's trade request and ex vice captain and father / son player hunter basically being forced out of the club, there is enough smoke to believe there is a culture issue at footscray and smith being a part of it. whether he is a significant driver of this culture or merely a participant is something impossible to judge, but he has certainly not hit the heights it looked like he was going to at the back end of 2021. i think its valid to question his professionalism and commitment to being the best player he can be in light of these factors.

im not naive enough to think that recreational drugs arent commonplace in the circles footballers run in. but there does come a point where those drugs and the activities associated with them start to impede professional performance. clayton oliver's 2023 is an easy example to point to for this.

the best thing for smith is probably to sign a 2 year deal at footscray, commit totally to his rehab and try recapture something resembling close to his best footy in 2025. acl's are up there for worst injury a young footballer can have, and seeing out the next 12 months with some contract stability might be good for his headspace.
If he deals with his rehab in the right manner and in a professional way, I think clubs will come for him and it may even enhance his value.
Personally I think the best thing for him is to look for a fresh start and I very much doubt he will be at the dogs come 2025.

Plenty of examples of players that started their careers as dickheads and ended their careers as dickheads though.

Exhibit A

Nathan_buckley.jpg

Every AFL club has drug consumers - some clubs more ingrained than others. It’s laughable to think otherwise. The amount of people on the bags or MD every weekend would surprise most who don’t go out on the town that often. All age groups and backgrounds. I spent 6 years in Canberra which is meant to be the peak in terms of education and career minded people… a lot are on the bags. Can get a bag within 5 minutes if you wanted to.

Now add young, athlete, money and idle hands in the mix……

Remove this Banner Ad

Back