Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Phew. I thought the Lions were going to recruit a bunch of dud players that dont even have highlights pacakges. Im glad they learnt their lesson from last time. Good job Bigfooty. We are making differences out here.

Crozier reminds me of Wardlaw just needs to see some more aggression and willingness to cracks packs. Anyone seen her live and can say whether she has a aggressive streak in her?

This is purely from QAFL board, but appears to come from a reliable source.

We had Ryley Worhersppon train and play as a top up with our reserves in scratch matches during last season, and from reports, would have likely played her at AFLW level last season, if we could.

We were very keen to draft her, but we didn’t have priority access as she was an over ager (19) who a friend invited down from Cairns to play QAFLW, and we then invited her to trial with us after getting video and a phone call from her coach.

Because we gave up pick 12 in the draft, and were likely to have to use our next pick to match an academy bid, it was unlikely Ryley would make it through to our first live pick.

Ryley ended up being the first QLD’er drafted at pick 12 by Melbourne.

Last edited:

We had Ryley Worhersppon train and play as a top up with our reserves in scratch matches during last season, and from reports, would have likely played her at AFLW level last season, if we could.

We were very keen to draft her, but we didn’t have priority access as she was an over ager (19) who Brisbane invited down from Cairns, after getting a phone call from her coach.

Because we gave up pick 12 in the draft, and were likely to have to use our next pick to match an academy bid, it was unlikely Ryley would make it through to our first live pick.

I really disliked the 'mega trade' at the time, even more when I heard about Wotherspoon, and now even more after reading that.

Seems like a colossal blunder.

I really disliked the 'mega trade' at the time, even more when I heard about Wotherspoon, and now even more after reading that.

Seems like a colossal blunder.

I guess we would've missed out on Evie Long if let's say we took Ryley at 12 and then Sydney bid on Evie in first round.

I guess we would've missed out on Evie Long if let's say we took Ryley at 12 and then Sydney bid on Evie in first round.
No, we had 20 and 21 so we could've used 21 to match Long, and then taking Peters at our next pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of the girls we drafted, I think Sophie Peters is going to be the one with real X factor. She has a great instincts defensively and in attack and reads the play better than most her age. Really looking forward to seeing her in the team.

Looks like we misread how high she might go then. If Demons decide to go that high and pick her at 12 then good for them. I wonder if we would've used 12 on her ourselves let's say even if we had the pick. May have taken some other player and then hoped for her in 20s.
I think the evidence points to them recognising her as a super talent but thinking no one else knew about her, but who knows?

Trading out pick 12 and Analea McKee to upgrade a few midrange picks looked really strange at the time. Hopefully, we are not regretting it for years to come.

I didn’t have a 100 per cent feeling, but I knew it was probably going to be between the Demons and the Lions,” Wotherspoon said. “Just with conversations with both clubs that I knew there was interest from both teams and there was who got the first pick at me

Lions currently have one player in Rookie Me's early look at the 2024 AFLW draft class, Lions Academy ruck Lilly Baker. Outside the top 24, but in the top 40.

Suns have RM's number 1 favourite (in an uncompromised pool).

Of the girls we drafted, I think Sophie Peters is going to be the one with real X factor. She has a great instincts defensively and in attack and reads the play better than most her age. Really looking forward to seeing her in the team.
We do already have three pretty handy outside runners, we have brought in another likely very good one in Davison from the Eagles and another potentially good one in Long from the draft.

I think Crozier looks to fit our structural needs very well, and having pretty much come from nowhere this year probably has a lot of scope for improvement.

It's very, very hard to tell though, it's all just on paper atm.

We do already have three pretty handy outside runners, we have brought in another likely very good one in Davison from the Eagles and another potentially good one in Long from the draft.

I think Crozier looks to fit our structural needs very well, and having pretty much come from nowhere this year probably has a lot of scope for improvement.

It's very, very hard to tell though, it's all just on paper atm.

Agreed, I'm looking forward to Rania taking on that third tall next to Daks and Taylor. She looks super mobile and has traits different to the other 2.

Lions currently have one player in Rookie Me's early look at the 2024 AFLW draft class, Lions Academy ruck Lilly Baker. Outside the top 24, but in the top 40.

Suns have RM's number 1 favourite (in an uncompromised pool).
2025 I think we'll some better-rated prospects. Mind you Evie Long came from, well not nowhere, but relative obscurity. Rates of improvement can be even more stark with the girls I think.

Havana Harris looks like something special though.

We were very keen to draft her, but we didn’t have priority access as she was an over ager (19) who a friend invited down from Cairns to play QAFLW, and we then invited her to trial with us after getting video and a phone call from her coach.

I heard this as well, and that the Lions tried to get her to nominate Queensland only in the draft…but she didn’t. I guess when she was playing games with the club and can see how difficult it is for fringe players to break into the team, she preferred her chances somewhere else. Plenty of others left the club for the same reason i.e. had contract offers to stay but chose to leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back