Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I have seen live Peters and Amber Swan, another academy girl (nominated nationally I believe). Fairly impressive albeit with weaknesses to work on, but so they should at their age.

Many of the academy girls are very comfortable mixing with the AFLW players already so their character and disposition would be pretty well known. Some AFLW players were assistant coaches of the academy team I believe. I guess it gives them a head start over players of similar ability but otherwise unknown personally.

Hi all, join the discussion on the AFLW Draft Board for tonights Draft.

Am I missing something here.
Peters hadn't been taken by anyone, so we would have had a free hit at anyone else who had nominated for National selection.
So given we may not want to "steal" anyone from G.C. Acad., then we must only be selecting Qld nominated players from our Region ????

Am I missing something here.
Peters hadn't been taken by anyone, so we would have had a free hit at anyone else who had nominated for National selection.
So given we may not want to "steal" anyone from G.C. Acad., then we must only be selecting Qld nominated players from our Region ????
Not missing anything. I think we're just going that we have X players we rate in our academy, so we'll take them and be done. No need to worry about the go home syndrome to the same degree or anything, and we know how they slot in.

Not missing anything. I think we're just going that we have X players we rate in our academy, so we'll take them and be done. No need to worry about the go home syndrome to the same degree or anything, and we know how they slot in.

Future of drafting for mens side too if academies realize their full potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched this one again. So many players with potential apart from Long and Crozier - Baldwick, Sheriden, Baron, Talbot.

If we pair Talbot with Hodder in our forward line that'll be a nightmare for opposition defenders.

Laying first dibs on that Baldwick draft call !! Wohoo !!

What was said, I missed a lot.
Just from what I've read on RWC and heard here and there. That said, prospect can pop up and develop quickly. Gold Coast have a very good group next year by the sounds of it.

Just from what I've read on RWC and heard here and there. That said, prospect can pop up and develop quickly. Gold Coast have a very good group next year by the sounds of it.

Agreed. Also, if the girls who missed out this year continue in QAFL we could get some talent lined up for next year as well.

All the picks

BRISBANE
Players selected:
Evie Long (pick No.15, Academy bid match), Sophie Peters (pick No.21), Indiana Williams (pick No.27, Academy bid match), Rania Crozier (pick No.35), Jacinta Baldwick (pick No.37)

The Lions loaded up on players from their own Academy program, including Evie Long, Sophie Peters, Indiana Williams, Rania Crozier, and Jacinta Baldwick. Long shot up in draft calculations in recent weeks thanks to her flexibility across the ground and clean use outside the contest, leaning beautifully into the club's running game. She was the first player to be bid on under the new Academy/Father-Daughter system, with Sydney attempting to take her with pick 15, only for Brisbane to match the bid. Crozier is the young key forward the Lions needed to recruit to bolster their attack alongside Dakota Davidson and Taylor Smith, standing at 178cm and an adept contested marker. Meanwhile, Peters is a neat midfielder who, although doesn't win a stack of the footy, really hurts with her disposal. Williams is a 173cm defender who can also be used on other lines, and Baldwick is a 167cm wing/forward who is an impressive decision-maker and disposer of the footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back