Women's Footy Lions AFLW 2023 (Season 8) Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Time for a dedicated thread for the upcoming season.

Playing list:

2 Tahlia Hickie
3 Breanna Koenen (Captain)
4 Caitlin Wendland
5 Jade Ellenger
6 Lily Postlethwaite
7 Ellie Hampson
8 Jennifer Dunne (rookie)
9 Orla O'Dwyer
10 Nat Grider (Vice-Captain)
11 Phoebe Monahan
12 Sophie Conway
14 Dakota Davidson
15 Poppy Boltz
16 Bella Smith
17 Belle Dawes
18 Ally Anderson
20 Shannon Campbell
21 Courtney Hodder
22 Brooke Sheridan
23 Dee Heslop
24 Jade Pregelj
25 Cathy Svarc
26 Ella Smith
27 Mikayla Pauga
28 Charlotte Mullins
29 Ruby Svarc
30 Courtney Murphy
31 Taylor Smith
32 Kiara Hillier
33 Analea McKee

Inactive:
13 Kate Lutkins (personal)
19 Luka Yoshida-Martin (injury)
22 Zimmorlei Farquharson (personal)

Ins:

Jennifer Dunne (Dublin GAA)
Courtney Murphy (Long Beach State/Mountain Creek SHS)
Ellie Hampson (Gold Coast)
Jade Pregelj (Gold Coast)
Poppy Boltz (Southport)
Analea McKee (Geelong VFLW)
Caitlin Wendland (Central Districts)
Brooke Sheridan (University of Queensland)

Outs:

Emily Bates (Hawthorn)
Greta Bodey (Hawthorn)
Jesse Wardlaw (St Kilda)
Lulu Pullar (North Melbourne)
Gabby Collingwood (delisted)
Ava Seton (delisted)
Maggie Harmer (delisted)
Sharni Webb (retired)

Head coach:

Craig Starcevich

Assistant coaches:

Phil Lovett (Forwards)
Daniel Webster (Midfield)
Clark Keating (Ruck)
Simon Black (Stoppages)
Matt Green (High Performance)
Emma Zielke (Academy)

Fixture:

Round 1: 3 Sept 3:05pm vs Richmond @ Springfield
Round 2: 9 Sept 12.35pm vs Port Adelaide @ Alberton
Round 3: 17 Sept 5:05pm vs Sydney @ Springfield
Round 4: 24 Sept 1:05pm vs North Melbourne @ Launceston
Round 5: 1 Oct 3:05pm vs Hawthorn @ Frankston
Round 6: 7 Oct 6:15pm vs Collingwood @ Springfield
Round 7: 14 Oct 4:05pm vs Gold Cast @ Carrara
Round 8: 21 Oct 2:05pm vs Adelaide @ Springfield
Round 9: 28 Oct 3:05pm vs St Kilda @ Moorabbin
Round 10: 3 Nov Time TBA vs Melbourne @ Springfield

Last edited:

AFLW Practice Match Fixture Confirmed​

The Brisbane Lions are pleased to announce our official Practice Match and Match Simulation opponents leading into the 2023 NAB AFL Season.

The Brisbane Lions will take on three-time Premiers, Adelaide Crows in a match simulation at Brighton Homes Arena, Saturday 12 August at 2:00pm. The VFL will act as a curtain-raiser to this match, with Brisbane taking on Williamstown at Brighton Homes Arena from 11:00am.

The Lions will also get a chance to put together a full dress rehearsal against the Gold Coast SUNS. The practice match against the Gold Coast SUNS will take place at 10:35am Saturday 19 August at Brighton Homes Arena.

I am hopeful we can get a full season out of Lily Poss and Bella Smith after their ACLs. Both seem like they can run through the midfield and we haven’t seen them have any sustained chance to develop at AFLW level yet. In the absence of Bates, there are a few who will have to step up their midfield time. Dawes now probably becomes a permanent part of the A-team midfield rotation with Ally, but was probably heading that way anyway. I have Dawes as a key element in the way we play. I get the feeling that Ellinger might begin to get some midfield-ish time. I wonder if Orla’s role will change a little as well. Hickie will have an important role as the ruck/extra midfielder which she seems built for. I think she was the best around-the-ground ruck in the comp last season.

With the loss of Wardlaw and Zimmi we will need to find the right forward companion for Dakota. It is where I can see Orla playing more forward in patches. McKee I think is another one yet to be tried. It would be great to have Hodder and Conway have their best seasons and I think we can remain as dangerous up forward as we have been.

If someone comes on as a rebounding halfback I would love to see Grider then move further up the field. She is such a smart player and the more she has her hands on the ball the better. In all likelihood she is going to remain where she is and hopefully continue to be the best rebounding and intercepting player in the game. In some ways I think she is our most important player.

The new girls will be an interesting watch. Hampson seems like the most likely to slot straight in.

I'm interested to see if they opt to fill Sharni Webb's list spot, or whether they might opt to see how some of the state leagues shake out for the remainder of the year and assess where they think we might need a bit of depth.

Some upgrade options but i think i will just watch from the tiered boundary seating.
For the general public adult tickets $10 for General Admission junior under 18 $0
Adult $30 for Grandstand junior under 18 $15

As an AFLW Access member, you don’t need to do a thing to attend our Home & Away Matches.
Your access is via your Mobile Membership in the Brisbane Lions App.

Level up your game day at Brighton Homes Arena! Upgrade to a Grandstand seat or the Upper Deck function space to experience all our new home has to offer! Enter your AFLW Member Barcode displayed below via Ticketmaster and select your desired area from Choose Prices & Sections to unlock your member discount.

d138069a-6059-4616-8a91-97c8b546f721.jpg

1187ebeb-cdba-4bf3-830d-7cb184c657c9.jpg

a75b4b68-0f24-4c40-81e0-4503084a404e.jpg

1691668074862.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only saw the first quarter, bit it looked like Hodder was playing in the mids. Anyone else notice this? We might be a bit short on midfield talent. Not that surprising if so, given our recent player losses. I don't recall seeing Dakota Davidson out there either.

Anyone able to access the stream went to the link and unable to click play button

Remove this Banner Ad

Back