Non-Lions discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Elixuh there's always this bloke you could obsess over. How old are you? You may not meet the over 60 age criteria.
291548.png

Love how Purple feels all clubs could have done more over trade week. It’s not their fault you have to pad out 12 hours of radio a day with nothing happening.

Where are all these excess picks / players for teams to trade coming from??
The picks are there - if only we were all like Geelong, drooling over picks in the 90s.

Tasmania Parliament to vote this week on having the Macquarie Point stadium proposal assessed by the state's planning commission.
Now a new proposal has come forward.

Mr Lennon and Mr Coleman's plans include 450 apartments attached to the stadium, 5,000 underground parking spaces, a private hospital, hotel and convention centre.

Mr Coleman estimated the stadium would cost $750 million, with the total development to cost $2.3 billion.

He said a public-private partnership model would be used.

"Those commercial developments actually inject the funds to pay for the peripherals of the stadium," Mr Coleman said.

Tasmania Parliament to vote this week on having the Macquarie Point stadium proposal assessed by the state's planning commission.
Now a new proposal has come forward.

Mr Lennon and Mr Coleman's plans include 450 apartments attached to the stadium, 5,000 underground parking spaces, a private hospital, hotel and convention centre.

Mr Coleman estimated the stadium would cost $750 million, with the total development to cost $2.3 billion.

He said a public-private partnership model would be used.

"Those commercial developments actually inject the funds to pay for the peripherals of the stadium," Mr Coleman said.
Paul Lennon being involved is a massive red flag for the whole project 🤦🤦🤦

Demons midfielder Clayton Oliver’s reported petulant act uncovered​

Melbourne star Clayton Oliver has been accused of a bizarre act off the field as the football club continues to reel.

3 min read
October 20, 2023 - 11:17AM

Demons star Clayton Oliver has been accused of a bizarre act of messing with car windscreen wipers.
The claim against Oliver from an incident last year has been uncovered while the Melbourne Football Club has been left reeling by Joel Smith’s provisional suspension for testing positive to an illicit drug.
The club has been under fire for a series of suggestions it has a culture problem surrounding the behaviour of players and staff away from the football field.
The Herald Sun on Friday first reported the bizarre claim made against Oliver relates to an off-season training session in Yarra Park, next to the MCG, where he has been accused of bending windscreen wipers on parked cars in a side street.
The News Corp report shows one of Oliver’s teammates was left to apologise to one resident after the four-time best and fairest winner was confronted.
It is just one of many behavioural issues to have emerged about the club following its 2021 premiership season.
Oliver has had a tumultuous month after he was linked with a bombshell trade to the Adelaide Crows.
The 26-year-old has made a commitment to the Demons and chief executive Gary pert last week said the club will support Oliver through the “personal circumstances” he had been dealing with in 2023 that led to speculation about his future.
Clayton Oliver and Bayley Fritsch. Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.

Clayton Oliver and Bayley Fritsch. Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images.
Oliver is contracted until 2030 and is one of the club’s highest-paid players and immediately became the subject of interest from several clubs when speculation about his future at Melbourne intensified.

According to reports, the Demons had earlier given Oliver an “ultimatum” that he would be shown the door if his behaviour off the field did not improve.
Oliver had recently moved in with Demons captain Max Gawn and his wife.
Oliver was in attendance at Melbourne’s best and fairest awards night earlier this month where several teammates admitted there had been some concerns over Oliver throughout the season.
Clayton Oliver. Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images)

Clayton Oliver. Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images)
“Obviously we‘ve had some challenges with Claz (Oliver) this year,” co-captain Jack Viney told Nine News.
“But we‘re really passionate about putting our arms around him and supporting him and we want him a part of this football club.
“He‘s one hell of a player and a much loved player in the team.”
Pert’s letter to club members earlier this month regarding Oliver’s future was also strongly worded.
“The Club has been aware of and supporting Clayton with his personal circumstances for some time and is committed to continuing to do so,” he said.
“While Club leaders focus on the care and support Clayton needs, we also have a responsibility to uphold our strong Club culture for the benefit of all our players and staff. We have a responsibility to ensure that everyone within the Club is committed to meeting the expected behavioural standards of a player within an AFL high performance environment.
“Clayton understands what is expected of him as a professional athlete, as well as the standards and behaviours a Melbourne person is expected to uphold.”

Hey what's everyone's thoughts on the Ginnivan situation? It sounds like his decision to go to the races on the Friday night before the Grand Final was the straw that broke the camel's back in Collingwood's decision to trade him, or perhaps, not try very hard to keep him.

Obviously I don't have a dog in the race, and if I did I'd be more likely to side with Craig McRae. But I must admit it all seems a bit heavy handed to me. I'd have thought that as long as it's not like an hour drive each way, you don't eat/drink crap while you're there, and you still get the amount of sleep you need, within that framework, do what you want.

I'd rather he be doing that than sitting on the couch watching some mind numbing TV while playing the game in his head. If going to the races allows him to avoid doing that, by all means, pin the ears back.

What do others think?

Hey what's everyone's thoughts on the Ginnivan situation? It sounds like his decision to go to the races on the Friday night before the Grand Final was the straw that broke the camel's back in Collingwood's decision to trade him, or perhaps, not try very hard to keep him.

Obviously I don't have a dog in the race, and if I did I'd be more likely to side with Craig McRae. But I must admit it all seems a bit heavy handed to me. I'd have thought that as long as it's not like an hour drive each way, you don't eat/drink crap while you're there, and you still get the amount of sleep you need, within that framework, do what you want.

I'd rather he be doing that than sitting on the couch watching some mind numbing TV while playing the game in his head. If going to the races allows him to avoid doing that, by all means, pin the ears back.

What do others think?
Hawks will be worse off with him and Collingwood will be better off without him.

What do others think?
I totally agree with you.

But the club has looked at the what ifs. Say they had got beaten the knives would've been out for letting him go out on the Friday night , not focused on the job etc , SM would've gone nuts.

My personal view is that it doesn't matter one iota but from a PR perspective it could've been a nightmare. You also don't get any of the flipside that it was a good thing because they won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lot more to the Pies decision than a trip to the races.

Ginnivan looks like one who would get traded again (out of Melbourne even like Mitch Robbo) before the penny drops.

Elite social media team and commentary.

Was flicking on the sports channels on Fox last night and what made me
Pause and watch a bit was a chap was wearing a GWS jumper and was being worn by Gab Marcotti in the UK on the Gab and Jules soccer program on ESPN. I know that they wear different soccer tops on there episodes but a Giants top to a global audience!

Credit to GWS and their marketing team of getting there brand out there; doubt you see a better and more progressive marketing/ social media / comms team in the AFL

GWS have the best social media team going around.
To be fair, they need it, given their supporter base.

It also helps that they have what appears to be a ready made actor/TV personality on their list in Cooper Hamilton.

Our (relatively average) approximation of this is Kai Lohmann, who I believe is actually mates with Cooper.

Most footballers who study outside the club seem to gravitate towards trades or roles in the financial sector. I wonder if it would be worth gently prodding Kai in the direction of acting or the media. Something different... His overdub for Rayner's 100th had me in stitches over and over again so there's something for him to work with, raw as it is.

Not a Dogs or Smith fan at all, but just hate seeing major injuries like this. Sucks when they get knocked out for a full year
Hopefully he and McStay also have the right support (physically and mentally) around them these next 12 months during rehab at their seperate clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back