Review Season in review 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Squizz89

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well we got a couple of weeks later than what we thought and probably 2 weeks further than what we deserved given the way we played for a lot of the year, but we did play well the first 2 weeks in finals.

Positives:
  • Neale’s Brownlow medal winning form;
  • Kiddy had a break out year;
  • Cam and Eric back from ACL’s;
  • I reckon Hugh had his break out midfield year too.

Negatives:
- Defensively we were off all year, both as a unit as well as a team;
-Joey and that shoulder. He was in AA form prior to that injury;
  • the steep decline of the veterans - Lyons, Rich, Zorko. Don’t know if we can carry them much longer;
  • some of the young blokes just didn’t kick on as we’d hope.

What we need moving forward:
  • mids and more mids. Ashcroft will help. Dunkley hopefully also coming in;
  • freshen up of the coaching staff. Had the same people and ideas in there for too long now. Contract year for Fages so will be a big one for him.

If we can address those midfield needs as well as hopefully some fresh ideas in the coaching department to hopefully tighten up the defence, on the back of the first 2 finals I can see us up there again next year and in with a shot to compete.

Last edited:

Joe was bloody good prior to that injury mate. Was averaging around 3 goals a game. Has been pretty average since he came back which makes some of his dumb/petulant acts look worse. If he can get the shoulder right and fit again next year I still think he’ll play a big part in any success we may have.

Last edited:
Several new assistant coaches with a better game plan. Preferably at least one who has played AFL recently in a team that actually has a game plan. No more teacher bullshit. Train it all summer.

Think more statregicly about selection and be prepared to drop poorly performing players/reward VFL form. Zorko, Lyons, Rich etc should not be guaranteed games.

This will likely be a controversial opinion but I'm going to say it anyway:

The game against Geelong tonight was a stitch up and the VFL never wanted us to win it:
19 tackles in the first qtr for 0 frees for the tackles
16 tackles for geelong in the first qtr for 4 frees

I feel like this type of terribly biased umpiring creates a scenario where one team has to treat the ball like a hot potato whilst the other is basically immune to HTB. This was a VFL stitch up in the 1st qtr.

Proud of the team and what they have achieved this year.
Tin Foil GIF

This will likely be a controversial opinion but I'm going to say it anyway:

The game against Geelong tonight was a stitch up and the VFL never wanted us to win it:
19 tackles in the first qtr for 0 frees for the tackles
16 tackles for geelong in the first qtr for 4 frees

I feel like this type of terribly biased umpiring creates a scenario where one team has to treat the ball like a hot potato whilst the other is basically immune to HTB. This was a VFL stitch up in the 1st qtr.

Proud of the team and what they have achieved this year.

Lol your season in review = a complaint about umpiring in a single quarter of a single match. Ok bro.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before this season I said I wanted us to achieve 2 goals if we weren't going to win the flag.

• Win more than 1 final
  • Win at the MCG
We achieved both of those goals last week.

Our prelim performance aside I'd consider this a successful year. This was our most successful finals campaign since our premiership era. We took that next step and won 2 finals. Let's go another step further next year (winning 3 finals from a top 4 spot).

How many finals failures did Richmond have before finally winning it?
Knocked out in three consecutive EFs and then dropped to 13th in 2016. And then they traded in a pretty handy midfielder and an exciting kid in the draft and...

---

Disappointing exit. We've got some work to do. Our midfield needs an injection, or defensive structure is questionable (not helped by the lack of pressure up the ground) and our forwards still aren't quite right.

But we've done good work. We've broken some hoodoos. We've had a finals campaign over which we've improved, rather than worsened, our rank, and won some damn fine finals in there.

And we've got some good ins in Ashcroft, Fletcher (may take a little while) and Dunkley if we can nab him.

I'd like to see us going smaller in the forward line with just Daniher and McStay rather than bringing in a new tall to replace McStay (assuming he is McLeaving). We've got some good talent and with a smaller line we can create more separation for the talls + Cameron and lock it in a bit more.

Ashcroft and hopefully Dunkley will be massive ins in the right direction in the midfield and reduce the pressure on our backline.

Last edited:
Finishing 4th was an honest assessment of our year - we were good but not good enough and ultimately our shortcomings were exposed in the furnace of a preliminary final. Beating the two previous premiers and facing the minor premier in the PF was a step too far. Kiddy's development was a highlight of the year and Wilmot looks really promising. We need a refresh and re-set to go to the next stage.

Been a roller coaster year. Playing well in patches but honestly never well enough to win the GF. We were looking for that switch, but we could never find it consistently enough. Good teams nullified our game plan quite effectively.
Great strides made in the VFL, and room for considerable improvement next year in the AFL.

It looks like we'll be losing and gaining some players as per usual. Thanks to those departing and welcome to those arriving (especially excited to see Ashcroft play).

If at the start of the year you were told Lyons would play himself out of the best 22, Zorko would go ungraciously into retirement, Robbo would have wished he retired last year, none of Berry, Rayner, Bailey, Prior, Dev, Ah Chee, etc. would become consistent midfield contributors. Then you probably would’ve been happy with 2 final wins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back