Review Season in review 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol that article is ridiculous. Joe is required to play his role like the 21 other guys on the field. Before he hurt his shoulder, he was one of the form key forwards in the AFL and averaging 3 goals a game. He absolutely struggled when he returned but back him in to come back stronger and fitter.

Lol that article is ridiculous. Joe is required to play his role like the 21 other guys on the field. Before he hurt his shoulder, he was one of the form key forwards in the AFL and averaging 3 goals a game. He absolutely struggled when he returned but back him in to come back stronger and fitter.
Doesnt matter anymore, but I reckon the better list strategy would have been to retain Dan and not recruit Joe.
Joe costs a lot more and his output even pre-shoulder was inferior to what Dan offered and additional money could've helped elsewhere.

I didnt think it was an unreasonable article and there were many valid points but oh well; damage has been done.

Doesnt matter anymore, but I reckon the better list strategy would have been to retain Dan and not recruit Joe.
Joe costs a lot more and his output even pre-shoulder was inferior to what Dan offered and additional money could've helped elsewhere.

I didnt think it was an unreasonable article and there were many valid points but oh well; damage has been done.

Absolutely false. Dan did not outperform Joe in the first six rounds and to suggest so is Beardancer wacky.

Pfffttt. A fit Joey is a huge assett.
Dan plays 1 good game and then goes missing for 8. Been doing that for 6 years.
Regardless, he's moved on....time for us to do the same.
Joey will be great in 2023 with a fit body.

No idea who the journalist is - this article popped up in my FB feed - , can't be any worse than the known ones are that work for all the major's given the crap they spew up, but cant say disagree with this journalists piece - could even be beardancer LOL

Lol that article is ridiculous. Joe is required to play his role like the 21 other guys on the field. Before he hurt his shoulder, he was one of the form key forwards in the AFL. He absolutely struggled when he returned but back him in to come back stronger and fitter.

Yep. People who don't watch us week in week out commenting on things they don't understand. There aren't any reasons at all provided for why Joe should go in the article either and no acknowledgement that with McStay going losing 2 talls would be stupid. It's literally just 'the lions would be better with a forward like Hawkins' as the author says in the comments - yeah no sh!t idiot.

Joe is not Hawkins or Cameron, though he has had the talent to be that sort of player but won't reach that level now. I think he needs to work harder but feel a lot of the criticism is people looking at the way he plays and not liking that a guy with such talent can go missing a bit. But I watched the prelim live and all 3 tall forwards were dreadful, Dan and eric arguably worse.

Joe pre-shoulder injury statistically was a totally different player to post injury. In the first 6 full games he averaged 6.66 marks per game, 3.1 contested marks, and over 3 goals a game. That's including a great performance by Sam Collins in round 6 which brought the average down heaps - he was over 3 and a half goals per game after 5 rounds.

His contested marking cratered on return from injury and that is not a shock.

I've still got faith in Daniher.

At his worst he still takes the opposition's best defender and that has to help the others .

He was the second best player in the team up until he pinged his shoulder imo.

I'm not discounting that his best could be ahead of him , but he needs to work a lot harder on the defensive side of his game and strive to be fully engaged for the whole 4 quarters.

He's still an immense talent and has time to put it all together.

Absolutely false. Dan did not outperform Joe in the first six rounds and to suggest so is Beardancer wacky.
I guess I was more meaning what Dan offered the team overall - was a superior second ruck, a better mark, literally anywhere, doesn't play for frees (which I am sure no Lions fan can stand) - i accept that Joe hit the scoreboard more in the first part of the season, not going to suggest otherwise or id be wrong.

IDK - I just think Dan is much more value for money than Joe will ever be and that we've backed the wrong horse really - not sure Joe was ever a need o be honest. Anyway, Im not going to die on a hill over it, just stating that I'd have preferred Dan any day of the week over Joe - not that it matters know. We're stuck with Joe and will now have to play the two talls and will likely go with two rucks.

A more mobile fwd like with Hippy and Dan (as second ruck) and either O or Fort in my view is much better than Joe, Eric and Fort and O.

I've still got faith in Daniher.

At his worst he still takes the opposition's best defender and that has to help the others .

He was the second best player in the team up until he pinged his shoulder imo.

I'm not discounting that his best could be ahead of him nut he needs to work a lot harder on the defensive side of his game and strive to be fully engaged for the whole 4 quarters.

He's still an immense talent and has time to put it all together.

Totally agree, he was one of the form players of the comp pre-injury, and that included excellent performances against Geelong and the Pies in that run, and port too who ended up a stout defensive team (so defensive they didn't score at all to be fair).

Totally agree, he was one of the form players of the comp pre-injury, and that included excellent performances against Geelong and the Pies in that run, and port too who ended up a stout defensive team (so defensive they didn't score at all to be fair).
It's interesting . Some Lions supporters I know knock Daniher at every opportunity. Get texts during games , he didn't do this or that . I never saw it . The funniest ones were from someone who shall remain nameless who let fly on him multiple times after half time in the Tigers game and was still at it in the last quarter. When he kicked 2 goals it was a fluke ,about time ,whatever.

I think the staging thing is overrated . The one a season ago where he staged was replayed 5000 times and ever since then he can't buy a free kick. He's a big ungainly guy who often gets scragged or pushed out with zero frees.

I'll make a prediction now. Joe will kick 5 in the GF next year to win us the flag, including one in the dying minutes to put us in front. Will be the game of all games to silence the doubters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joe kicked 19 goals in the first 6 rounds of this year - Dan's best ever goal tally was 28 last year. I like Dan a lot more than most but c'mon people.
To add to this, don't think Dan has ever had the opposition number 1 key back play on him in any of his 161 games with us. Joe at least takes a key defender as his matchup.

Daniher, even pre injury this year, has not been close to his 2017 standards. I don’t expect him to get back there given his groin issues, which is fine as he could still play an important role for us structurally.

However, the issue is that his remuneration implies he will perform at that 2017 level. There are a number of players who kicked more goals this year that would be on $250,000 less a season at other clubs, which makes it hard to justify his contract. Joe needs a big pre season to repay the club’s faith. In 2023 he must 1) impact the scoreboard consistently (and most importantly in big games which is why we brought him to the club) 2) be predictable to his small forwards by creating a contest (without infringing) and 3) strengthen the versatility in his game (his rucking and follow up work was not much better than Fullarton’s).

Regardless, to take the next step we will need to address other areas too. Our backline looked shaky at times - save for Starc who I think should finish top 5 in our B and F. Our midfield, outside of Clugg and Neale also looked very beatable - which is why the Dunkley addition is such a win.

Looking at 2022, it was another ‘what if’ year. The Essendon Covid game hurt us, and meant we had to play three intense games in a row. Importantly, we showed we can adapt and perform under finals pressure, by getting to the prelim with a win at the ‘G which was a nice take away.

If Fagan is replaced, it will be interesting to see if we persist with a taller set up or look to keep speed on the ball - which is when we have looked at our best.

I guess I was more meaning what Dan offered the team overall - was a superior second ruck, a better mark, literally anywhere, doesn't play for frees (which I am sure no Lions fan can stand) - i accept that Joe hit the scoreboard more in the first part of the season, not going to suggest otherwise or id be wrong.

IDK - I just think Dan is much more value for money than Joe will ever be and that we've backed the wrong horse really - not sure Joe was ever a need o be honest. Anyway, Im not going to die on a hill over it, just stating that I'd have preferred Dan any day of the week over Joe - not that it matters know. We're stuck with Joe and will now have to play the two talls and will likely go with two rucks.

A more mobile fwd like with Hippy and Dan (as second ruck) and either O or Fort in my view is much better than Joe, Eric and Fort and O.

Dan on his current salary is more value for money than Joe. Dan on the contract Collingwood offered is overpaying for a role player.

To add to this, don't think Dan has ever had the opposition number 1 key back play on him in any of his 161 games with us. Joe at least takes a key defender as his matchup.
I'll say you're technically incorrect, but that's only because we served up some truly horrific teams back in 2015 where we literally had no other options forward. I don't fault anyone for having blocked that entire year out of their memory.

McStay spent entire games trying to stand on people's shoulders and missing the ball.

Not sure why people attack Joe. The club keep playing him if anything blame the match committee.

Simply don't treat Joe as a saviour. He is a cog in a system and just needs to play his role.

Is he on more than what we should have paid, perhaps, but that is the difference in drafting and developing well over bringing in outside players.

Also I don't believe Joe was the difference in making the GF or not.

I think his injury has impacted him fairly heavily. This could be a concern going forward if his shoulders are knackered.

Joe kicked 19 goals in the first 6 rounds of this year - Dan's best ever goal tally was 28 last year. I like Dan a lot more than most but c'mon people.
Couple of soft teams in those early rounds Bombers and North, and even PA don't have a stellar backline. But Joe did kick 3 against Geelong in round 4

I think when fit he is a dangerous forward and a better option than McStay.

Couple of soft teams in those early rounds Bombers and North, and even PA don't have a stellar backline. But Joe did kick 3 against Geelong in round 4

I think when fit he is a dangerous forward and a better option than McStay.

Essendon and North were his two quietest games in that period. As you say he kicked 3 against Geelong and then 4 on Darcy Moore who always has trouble with him.

Regarding Jo, he played very well before his injury and quite serviceable after returning
Hippy was serviceable after returning from an ACL and got better with each game
Hopefully both back to best in 2023

I just wish Jo would do the basics in marking and leading right.
No need to jump very high just do the basics in contests and leading.
This will result in more marks taken during the year and possibly more frees for him instead of against

What do you mean by current group? Does adding Dunkley and Ashcroft change the current group? Or are you talking more and bigger changes?

IMO there’s so many guys in our best 22 that have another level to go to and the current core we have is good enough to take us all the way. Add Dunkley and Ashcroft to the team then more games into guys like Dev, Wilmot and Lohmann and I think the squad is only getting better and has loads of improvement from a team that just made a prelim.
If you add Dunkley, Ashcroft, and the other three you mentioned, that means taking a five out, I would say that’s a pretty big change to our current group. Who would you say we drop?

If you add Dunkley, Ashcroft, and the other three you mentioned, that means taking a five out, I would say that’s a pretty big change to our current group. Who would you say we drop?
Wilmot and Dev were already in the team to finish the season so I don’t need to take anyone out for those 2. I’d take Answerth out for Ashcroft who was playing on the wing in the prelim. I really like Ah Chee and would have him as the sub but would replace him with Dunkley and have Berry, Ashcroft, Bailey and Hugh spending time on the wing. Would love to get Lohmann in on a permanent basis but it’s pretty hard to do so with our current forward set up so would be bringing him in at every opportunity if someone like Zorko needs a break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back