Multiplat Life is Strange

Remove this Banner Ad

Just picked this up the other day after finishing The Wolf Among Us and craving something similar.

I am only three episodes in, each one has wiped me out for a day. I am impressed it has managed to maintain quite a lot of its mystique this far in too. With only two episodes left, I would have thought it would be hurrying to wrap up one or both the two major mysteries, but instead it just turned the whole game on its head. It's some really nice storytelling.
If episodes 1-3 wiped you out for a day each, be prepared for episode 4 to wipe you out for a month.

That's some serious The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo s**t. Feel like I need a shower, then a hug.

That's some serious The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo s**t. Feel like I need a shower, then a hug.
You were warned. :p I sat there just staring at the screen for about ten minutes. I've said it before, but hands down one of the most intense gaming experiences I've had. Terrific episode.

Downloading this now. Pretty excited.
Best piece of advice I can give you is to stick with it. It starts a tad slow and the characters can grate on you until you adjust...but it's worth it.

You were warned. :p I sat there just staring at the screen for about ten minutes. I've said it before, but hands down one of the most intense gaming experiences I've had. Terrific episode.

Best piece of advice I can give you is to stick with it. It starts a tad slow and the characters can grate on you until you adjust...but it's worth it.
I had to stop myself from poking myself in the eyes during the first ten minutes. Glad I'm such a pussy with a low pain threshold.

Just finished a playthrough of this after smashing through the whole thing in a couple of days. Loved every minute of it, even the final episode which I had low expectations for after reading some opinions in this thread.

Got a real Silent Hill vibe during the nightmare sequence when going through the endless doors in the dorm. Only disappointment for me was the way the ending came down to a single option of choosing the good or bad ending. Made every decision made throughout the game meaningless. Would much rather the ending possibilities somehow influenced by particular decisions made throughout. Despite that it was fantastic and definitely one of my favourite games of the year.

Just finished a playthrough of this after smashing through the whole thing in a couple of days. Loved every minute of it, even the final episode which I had low expectations for after reading some opinions in this thread.

Got a real Silent Hill vibe during the nightmare sequence when going through the endless doors in the dorm. Only disappointment for me was the way the ending came down to a single option of choosing the good or bad ending. Made every decision made throughout the game meaningless. Would much rather the ending possibilities somehow influenced by particular decisions made throughout. Despite that it was fantastic and definitely one of my favourite games of the year.
Agree on ep 5. I was pleasantly surprised. I can see why it was criticised, but I thought the trip sequences were exceptional. The section where you had to sneak to the lighthouse was just brilliant, so creepy. The dark room was also pretty damn intense and not easy to navigate at times - I enjoyed how they tested your mastery of the time turning mechanic a bit more than previous episodes did. Helping David get in and rescue you was bloody difficult (for me, at least).

Also agree on the ending. As soon as the photo mechanic came into play I had a hunch about what was happening (when she first went back through the photo I remembered the butterfly picture; was hoping to be wrong) and I didn't like it. Also didn't like how the nose bleed angle didn't really go anywhere; she had the little trip and then continued to casually manipulate time. Despite not agreeing with the ending though, I do think it was done pretty well.

Not since The Last of Us have I wanted to go back in time to the start of a game so I could get a chance to never finish it, because the end just makes me yearn for a more innocent time.

I was disappointed as well that the ending was determined by a simple binary choice. I was hoping with the all the time-rewinding that the consequences would result in a string of different outcomes. For a while, especially during the nightmare sequence (which were all haunting),
I was convinced an optimal ending was on the cards, one where you could save everyone, but nah. I also thought Rachel Amber's death would play a more tangible role - I was waiting for that 'twist' ending where she's revealed to be Max or responsible for the time-powers, or something, but wrong again.

Instead it's ultimately one of two nihilistic sacrifices that's designed to specifically to make the player feel like s**t either way. :/

For what it's worth, I went with Chloe because I'm going to take any chance I get to tell fate to go * itself. But there is such little closure in it it only compounds how shitty I feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not since The Last of Us have I wanted to go back in time to the start of a game so I could get a chance to never finish it, because the end just makes me yearn for a more innocent time.

I was disappointed as well that the ending was determined by a simple binary choice. I was hoping with the all the time-rewinding that the consequences would result in a string of different outcomes. For a while, especially during the nightmare sequence (which were all haunting),
I was convinced an optimal ending was on the cards, one where you could save everyone, but nah. I also thought Rachel Amber's death would play a more tangible role - I was waiting for that 'twist' ending where she's revealed to be Max or responsible for the time-powers, or something, but wrong again.

Instead it's ultimately one of two nihilistic sacrifices that's designed to specifically to make the player feel like s**t either way. :/

For what it's worth, I went with Chloe because I'm going to take any chance I get to tell fate to go **** itself. But there is such little closure in it it only compounds how shitty I feel.
Hmm, interesting. See, I agree that the ending could have been better, but if there was an "optimal ending" as you suggest our roles would have been reversed; I would have been the one in here complaining about the shitty ending. The game as I saw it was a warning of the dangers of manipulating time - i.e. the butterfly effect - and the limitations imposed upon you in such situations - i.e. not everything can be changed. In my opinion an optimal ending where Max fixes everything would have flown in the face of the story's meaning and, personally, left me feeling really disappointed. It's a classic, "Yay the good guy wins even though it was supposed to be impossible," ending and I just don't think it would have fit with the story they were trying to tell.

I do agree that it should have been more than a straightforward binary choice regarding who to save, though. I think ideally there needed to be a sixth episode; they opened so many different doors and failed to close them all equally. More could have been done with Rachel; the ending could have been expanded; the relationship stuff (Warren/Chloe/neither) could have been more pronounced; nose bleeds could have been more dire (or at least her powers could fail her at a crucial moment); so on and so forth.

For what it's worth, though, I've been told that the Chloe ending is quite half-arsed. I sacrificed her and, while it wasn't as satisfying an ending as I'd hoped, I wasn't totally disappointed.

FWIW, my ideal ending would have been one where the butterfly effect/fate moral intersected with the nose bleeds/pressure on Max to continue using her power without leaning on a binary choice. It becomes clear to her that it isn't as simple as "fixing" everything and instead she needs to decide whether to continue to attempt to seek an optimal outcome - thereby risking both her own life and the unforeseeable consequences of whatever she changes - or give up. You could then from there branch off into numerous different choices - whether she abandons her quest to save Arcadia Bay, or takes one of a variety of options designed to reflect earlier choices (e.g. if you took a certain photo perhaps there becomes an option to go back through that photo and change something).

Obviously not fleshed out but the makings of a satisfying ending are there. The key is tying everything together and making your previous choices feel meaningful.

Also started playing recently after finishing Game of a thrones and reading positive thoughts here. Finished ep 2 last night and yeah... completely captivated. Ending of the episode didn't quite go how I wanted or expected it's safe to say.

Unlike the telltale GOT game the choices here feel so much more important because you can actually affect the outcome short and long term. Keen for more

Grabbed this based purely on positive opinions in this thread. :thumbsu:

Just finished episode one and can't wait to get into the next. Early on I was still in 'gamer mode' and was doing things that I thought might have been 'right' or 'best outcome.' Not sure about you guys but somehow it completely took me back to high school myself (which is now nearly 15 years ago) and I started making decisions based purely on what I would have done back then stuff the consequences. I even started comparing the characters to certain people I knew from my high school. At the end I noticed the majority of my decisions were in the lower percentages of what everyone else chose, some significantly lower, and I wondered how many others didn't manage to snap out of gamer mode and just played the conservative options?

Grabbed this based purely on positive opinions in this thread. :thumbsu:

Just finished episode one and can't wait to get into the next. Early on I was still in 'gamer mode' and was doing things that I thought might have been 'right' or 'best outcome.' Not sure about you guys but somehow it completely took me back to high school myself (which is now nearly 15 years ago) and I started making decisions based purely on what I would have done back then stuff the consequences. I even started comparing the characters to certain people I knew from my high school. At the end I noticed the majority of my decisions were in the lower percentages of what everyone else chose, some significantly lower, and I wondered how many others didn't manage to snap out of gamer mode and just played the conservative options?
The developers should be paying me for marketing their game, I think.

It's interesting...I wouldn't say I was in "gamer mode" but at the same time I didn't really base my decisions on what I would've done back in high school. My decisions were probably designed to get the "best outcome" (although it didn't always work that way) but it wasn't because I was actively seeking to follow the ideal path - I was just so emotionally connected to the story that I wanted to try to make the decisions that benefited the characters that I felt needed/deserved it the most. So I probably took a conservative route in a number of choices but it wasn't deliberate.

Serious Question. Is it scary?
I saw this alert and knew exactly what it was going to say. ;)

I'd say not much scarier than your average murder-mystery, but a little creepy at times. Some heavy themes and a few parts that'll make you a little uneasy but no jump scares and nothing overly nightmare worthy. All I really experienced was a little bit of discomfort at times but they were only fleeting moments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back