Life lessons you wish you'd picked up sooner

Remove this Banner Ad

Most enjoyable jobs I've had where pulling beers and warehouse work. Damn shame they are also the lowest paid!
My most enjoyable job was doing night fill at my local supermarket when I was studying.

This was back in the days when supermarkets in WA closed at 5 or 6pm so we had the store to ourselves so no customers to bother us, the music was cranked up and you had a laugh.

The staff were like me or old girls who were trying to earn a few extra bucks.

My most enjoyable job was doing night fill at my local supermarket when I was studying.

This was back in the days when supermarkets in WA closed at 5 or 6pm so we had the store to ourselves so no customers to bother us, the music was cranked up and you had a laugh.

I enjoyed the bottleshop, worked with cool people and the customers were on the whole good (except for the campaigner that tried to egg me)

I just completed my degree and am looking for full time work/considering further study. I'm worried I'll look back in 10 years and say that the current casual role I am in (working at a pool/gym) will be the best job I ever had. It's so laid back.

Same here, worked at Woolies before my first "real" job after uni. Met my wife there, who was my supervisor haha

I know a few guys who went back to doing night fill because they enjoyed it so much in their 20's, although harder to do now they have a family but if you do it long enough it's a job you can do on autopilot.

Although not too many stores in Victoria do 9pm - 6am filling anymore.

Sit down with your grandparents and get them to tell you about their life. If there is any dirt to be got, get it.
It's your duty to be the custodian of secrets to pass onto your grand children.
Agree. There are so many things I wish I’d asked my mother about. Although I did pick up quite a bit from her conversations with her own siblings. As you get older yourself you do reflect more on your parents as people, not as your parents. For instance, their lives before you came along. It’s quite difficult to get your head around that difference.

My grandparents all passed on while I was quite young.

I don’t know, though, that our kids would be necessarily much interested in the generations before us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My grandparents didn't bitch about their nearly health as much as their kids do, almost every time I speak to one of them conversation starts with which bit of them isn't working properly this week.
Yeah, but this would be largely grandparents didn't / don't bitch about their health to their grandkids. My mum (84) I get the run down on everything that aches etc. most times I talk to her, yet she doesn't do that when talking to my kids (who at 16/18 are old enough to know what she'd be talking about). I think half of this is 'Well we took care of all your aches and ills when a kid and comforted you. Now it's your turn to comfort me.'

Yeah, but this would be largely grandparents didn't / don't bitch about their health to their grandkids. My mum (84) I get the run down on everything that aches etc. most times I talk to her, yet she doesn't do that when talking to my kids (who at 16/18 are old enough to know what she'd be talking about). I think half of this is 'Well we took care of all your aches and ills when a kid and comforted you. Now it's your turn to comfort me.'
Kids don’t want to listen to a list of Grandma’s ailments. They want to tell her about themselves and soak up her love and admiration, which is a grandparent’s role in their lives.

You, though, are a different story. It’s your role to be the one she can let it all out to 😉

I enjoyed the bottleshop, worked with cool people and the customers were on the whole good (except for the campaigner that tried to egg me)

Yeah bottle-o was cool. Made me realise how quickly you pick up on what 'the usual' is with regular customers, having never been on that side of the register before I had that job. I never realised how many people go to a drive through and just buy one or two stubbles or cans of beer or a premix. And follow that routine pretty much every day.

Good for the mental arithmetic too, stuff like ringing up a slab, keeping a mental note of when I'd sold three six packs of the same beer and taking the fourth sixer for myself. It wasn't condoned, but they wouldn't really bother looking if the sales, inventory and register lined up (or close enough).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back