Life lessons you wish you'd picked up sooner

Remove this Banner Ad

Blood hound gang > song ...Fox trot....song cheeky meaning .

F...Foxtrot.
U..Uniform.
C..Charlie.
Kilo..

In the words of the wedding singer...things should of been brought to my attention.....yesterday ..

Happy Hour Dancing GIF

I am 36 years old now and I got a lot of regrets.

Biggest one is and was to find a job I would of enjoyed, regard less of money. Thats the hardest one.

Had I found that, I didnt care If I was working 40 or 50 hours a week. Then my life would be much better. Saved that cash to get a mortgage and pay that off one week at a time then have my life settled.

People see kindness in you as a weakness.

I wish I had never gone to university. Complete waste of time but more in particular money. Should have just gotten a FT retail job and travelled sooner, and I'm sure I would have still found my way to the job I ended up in when I was 25/26 yo.
Have to say this.

I just wasn't in the right head space prior to 27 to do anything meaningful but I wish I picked up the following sooner.
  • Bought the shares in Amazon in 2001 that I got talked out of
  • That trades work would be in high demand. Plumbers are able to charge a shitload in regional areas due to high demand. I should have done a trade as opposed to a university degree.
  • That I could have worked hard for 5-10 years acquiring a few properties either high growth areas or peri urban land and I'd now have millions in assets.
  • Nobody gives a s**t about you except your family. If you want anything in life you have to go get it because nobody is going to hold your hand. Social media today is showing just how self centred people are. Are you OK day is the only time people give a s**t about your mental health and it's all fake.
  • I've always been a little naive but my personal situation has allowed me to learn to be very cautious and very guarded in a lot of situations. I guess you don't realize these things until you get burnt.

Enjoy your 20s. I spent most of it not going on holiday and going out saving money.

Yeah, I think people get depressed too quickly and think their life is over if they have not achieved anything by their late 20's.

A lot of people don't find their feet in life and know what they want until mid 30's

Work is a lot more enjoyable when you don't have to manage staff and your manager doesn't really understand what you do
My best job was casually working for a retail brand with 3 floors of floorspace. I worked everything from music to lingerie (not gonna lie, lingerie was fun but uncomfortable...for them and me), and I never knew any managers. I reckon I could have clocked in, shopped or watched a movie, clocked out and my manager wouldn't have known.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The primary life lesson I wished I learned earlier: Make money your first priority. Don't do what you love, chase money.

My best job was casually working for a retail brand with 3 floors of floorspace. I worked everything from music to lingerie (not gonna lie, lingerie was fun but uncomfortable...for them and me), and I never knew any managers. I reckon I could have clocked in, shopped or watched a movie, clocked out and my manager wouldn't have known.

I've been a casual worker the last few years and it's the best job I've ever had.

Love the extra money and turning up when I feel like it, just have to make sure I'm the best casual so I keep getting shifts!

You're always expendable at work so don't do something if you don't want to.
You're family are not your choice so don't let them rule your life.
The people who matter are not always easy but they shouldn't always be hard either.
Things that make you happy are precious but being happy all the time is not the goal.

Friend zone isn't real. When someone's attracted to you and thinks you're good enough being friends won't stop them. Terminally online men would do well to learn this life lesson.
Many women, not all, keep a bevy of orbiters in what's A.K.A the friend zone.
Its practically a past time/hobby for them.
Not liking it, dosen't make it not true.

I enjoyed being a checkout chick at Coles more than anything I’ve done with my degrees.

I was never particularly vain growing up, but I wish I could tell my younger self how much hair loss would affect my psyche so I could/would do something about it before it was much too late :(

Given hair genes apparently come from your mother's side, the hair loss was totally unexpected to begin with. That it was such a bummer and that it affected me was even more unexpected. Like a typical male though, lived in denial, and then by the time I decided I wanted to do something about it they were "tempering expectations" to they extent they were pretty much telling me not to bother.

If I could tell my 10 y.o self to eat better and look after myself so I'm on girls radars in High School I reckon life has a whole different look to it now.

All good in the end and I didn't hate HS but makes it hard when you've got extra weight in teens.

Own fault though and didn't know better lol

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I knew this already but the carry on at the Summernats just further proves that a white guy should never throw hands with a Polynesian fella (particularly when blind drunk).

Seriously, was a regrettable incident and I’m sure that security company will lose their licence, but still, they ****ed around and found out.

You're always expendable at work so don't do something if you don't want to.
I feel like this can be a bit self-fulfilling. There needs to be a balance where you're not being taken advantage of and spending your day doing things for other people and teams at the expense of your core responsibilities. But for those who choose to be a "that's not my job" type, well you'd want to be pretty special at whatever is your job to compensate.

At my work, after several years of growth, the writing is on the wall that some 'tough decisions' may be made over the next 12-18 months. It's been a bit jarring how quickly people's attitudes have changed, like a sporting team that's having an awful season, so everyone starts gunning for their own stats and the next contract. And so the moaning and the casual potshots at other people and teams is at a level that I haven't seen since I've been here.

I know when I contact some people at my organisation with a request or a query (and it doesn't matter what level) there's some people who pretty much always do what they can to help (even if it's just a "I'm not really sure, maybe <<other individual or team >> might be able to help?). It's really gold to have people like that in the organisation and it does wonders for the culture.

It's not going to be my call, but if and when those tough decisions are being made, I'd be looking for the people who - when you reach out to them for assistance - you can sense that they are doing what they can to help, in favour of the people whose response (or non-response) makes you think "I'm sorry I bothered."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back