Like to have a punt?

Remove this Banner Ad

West River Charley must be getting up there for sure. Before this year, I think I read he hadn't won a race in three years. He's come good though and as pistol said, goes out at a price every weekend.

Boston play at Dallas tonight in the NBA and the $2.60 on offer for the Celtics to win has gotten the better of me. I haven't seen much of the Mavericks, who just lost at home to a depleted Denver Nuggets, but Boston is just about the best side going around.

I haven't had the best run of picking an actual team to win so have changed to picking the over/under's on the total scores. Been working quite well of late.

Bets for today - 09/11/2010

Multi 1 - odds of $13.31 LOSS
NBA - Spurs -3 v Bobcats WIN
NBA - Celtics/Mavs over 190 LOSS
NBA - Nuggets/Bulls over 205.5LOSS
NBA - Suns/Grizzlies over 213.5 LOSS

Multi 2 - odds of 10.48 LOSS
NHL - Coyotes/Red Wings to score under 5.5 goals WIN
NFL - Steelers -5.5 v the Bengals WIN
NBA - Hawks/Magic - over 193.5 LOSS - Magic/Hawks screwed my multi
NBA - Spurs H2H v Bobcats WIN

Single Bets
NBA - Spurs/Bobcats under 187.5 WIN
NBA - Nuggets/Bulls over 205.5 LOSS
NBA - Warriors/Raptors under 214.5 WIN
NFL - Steelers/Bengals over 41 WIN

What could have been again today, one leg away from the multi getting up. Oh well back tomorrow with more NBA and NHL bets.

West River Charley must be getting up there for sure. Before this year, I think I read he hadn't won a race in three years. He's come good though and as pistol said, goes out at a price every weekend.

Boston play at Dallas tonight in the NBA and the $2.60 on offer for the Celtics to win has gotten the better of me. I haven't seen much of the Mavericks, who just lost at home to a depleted Denver Nuggets, but Boston is just about the best side going around.

Yea there is something Fishy about that $2.60 on offer. I might have a little play on it though, at the moment I just have them in an over 190 bet.

Bets for 10/11/2010

Multi 1 - Odds of $3.67 LOSS

CHELSEA H2H V FULHAM WIN
ARSENAL H2H V WOLVES WIN
LIVERPOOL H2H V WIGAN LOSS

Multi 2 - Odds of $13.38 LOSS

MINNESOTA/LAKERS UNDER 196.5 WIN
JAZZ/MIAMI OVER 192.5 WIN
CHELSEA H2H V FULHAM WIN
ARSENAL H2H V WOLVES WIN
LIVERPOOL H2H V WIGAN LOSS

Multi 3 - Odds of $10.23 LOSS

CAPITALS/RANGERS UNDER 5.5 GOALS LOSS
THRASHERS/SENATORS OVER 5.5 GOALS WIN
CANUCKS/MONTREAL UNDER 5.5 GOALS WIN
SAN JOSE SHARKS H2H V MIGHTY DUCKS OT LOSS

Single Bets

CLEVELAND/NETS UNDER 196.5 WIN
JAZZ/MIAMI OVER 192.5 WIN
PISTONS/PORTLAND OVER 188 LOSS
MINNESOTA/LAKERS UNDER 217.5 LOSS
KNICKS/BUCKS OVER 196 LOSS
NCAA - TOLEDO/NORTHERN ILLINOIS OVER 51 WIN

Pretty ordinary day that one....

Yea there is something Fishy about that $2.60 on offer. I might have a little play on it though, at the moment I just have them in an over 190 bet.

I think plenty of people must have got on them at 2.60, by the time I got on to have a look they had shortened into 2.15. Interestingly enough, the line was 3.5 points, so, they beat that, and they were paying 1.95 to beat the line. Nearly as good as the 2.15 that was on offer for the win. All pretty useless in hinsight I guess though.

I don't know if everyone's already heard this or not, but Lee Steere day ended up being a dirty day for Western Australian horse racing.

http://www.rwwa.com.au/cris/raceresults.aspx?meeting=14891&race=7

BROTHER MAK Eased down by its rider from the 700m and was subsequently retired from the event at the 600m. A post race Veterinary examination of the gelding revealed it to have suffered a suspected fracture to the near fore pastern. The gelding was subsequently transported off course to undergo further Veterinary assessment. A subsequent report following x-rays revealed the gelding to have a comminuted fracture to the near fore pastern and it was subsequently humanely euthanased.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/racing/8284724/taylor-blasts-rule-after-roman-ban/

Racing and Wagering WA stewards yesterday barred Famous Roman from racing for a mandatory three months when they ruled the six-year-old had suffered a bleeding attack when winning the WAROA-Lee Steere Stakes (1400m) last Saturday.

RWWA veterinary surgeons found Famous Roman had mild to moderate bleeding in both nostrils and had an elevated heartbeat at 130 beats per minute between 15 to 20 minutes after the race.

What a shame. Famous Roman had the Railway by the throat and Brother Mak had potential in spades. I had it in my black book for the longer distances this summer. I expect to hear more of this from Jim Taylor, he seems to think that Famous Roman's bleeding attack wasn't a result of a trachea or lung haemorrhage and instead it was resultant from a blow to the head pre race which he neglected to report to stewards. I think he might have to pay the price on this one and cop the ban, might've been a different case if he'd reported it before the race.

BETS FOR 12/11/2010

Single Bets

NBA
Celtics/Heat over 184.5 WIN
Warriors/Bulls under 213.5WIN

NHL
Sabres/NYRangers over 5.5 goals LOSS
Canadiens/Bruins under 5 goals WIN
Flyers/Hurricanes over 5.5 goals WIN
Wild/Thrashers under 5.5 goals LOSS

ATP - Tennis
Gonzalez H2H v Dutra da Silva @ $1.44 WIN

Multi - odds of $5.91
Warriors/Bulls under 213.5 WIN
Celtics/Miami over 185.5 WIN
Lakers H2H v Nuggets

I don't know if everyone's already heard this or not, but Lee Steere day ended up being a dirty day for Western Australian horse racing.

http://www.rwwa.com.au/cris/raceresults.aspx?meeting=14891&race=7

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/racing/8284724/taylor-blasts-rule-after-roman-ban/

What a shame. Famous Roman had the Railway by the throat and Brother Mak had potential in spades. I had it in my black book for the longer distances this summer. I expect to hear more of this from Jim Taylor, he seems to think that Famous Roman's bleeding attack wasn't a result of a trachea or lung haemorrhage and instead it was resultant from a blow to the head pre race which he neglected to report to stewards. I think he might have to pay the price on this one and cop the ban, might've been a different case if he'd reported it before the race.

Truly devastated over Brother Mak, I swear it was going to beat Colour Correct on Saturday. Really did look like a consistent big earner. Oh well!

Let's just hope nothing happens to 'Big Hold Up'

Just had a pretty tasty 5-leg multi knocked over by my boys, the Denver Nuggets, after they upstaged the Lakers at the Pepsi Centre. I had the Lakers by 1-10. I've never been so content with losing a multi. God bless Channel One and their live NBA coverage.

For interest's sake, I had Chicago over Golden State, LA by 1-10 over Denver, Boston +6.5 over Miami, New Zealand over Adelaide and Gold Coast +3 over Cairns for a potential return of just over $20.

Given the success of when I asked a couple of weeks ago - anyone got any good tips for Ascot tomorrow? Will be down the track and nice not to come home broke!

Given the success of when I asked a couple of weeks ago - anyone got any good tips for Ascot tomorrow? Will be down the track and nice not to come home broke!

Very hard day tomorrow, fields are filled with talent... not overly keen on anything, best three of the day are probably

All Friared Up
Canardly Miss
God Has Spoken

Race 1: Brandy Lane, Timberlands, Highest Honour, Galoubay

Race 2: Favourite Star, Black Felix, Proud Hero, Lost Opera

Race 3: Dempsey, The Corporation, States Secret, Milken Whiskey, Talk To The Wall (favourite horse, should be 67/1)

Race 4: Canardly Miss, Valoura, Vain Strike,

Race 5: God Has Spoken, Elliotto, Gondorff, Impressive Jeney, Ma Chienne

Race 6: Mabel Grace, Power Princess, See A Victory, Lady Doll, Cheri Cheval

Race 7: Waratah's Secret, Ma Ma Machine, King Kool Kat, Werd, Escadaire

Race 8: All Friared Up, Pago Rock, Hoegaarden, Motion Pictures, View The Stars

Race 9: Tranquility, Swan Bee, Fleming Son, Dante's Diamond, Kenile

Go easy!

Not real interested in the first few on the card tomorrow at Ascot, except for the second. As kuep and I postulated, Noname City was a handy run last time for second behind a very good Absolute Pleasure. Black Felix looks to be a real up and comer though and might be a bit too classy for Noname City again.

My better judgement tells me to stay out of the Peters' Stakes. Ma Chienne is looking for more ground, I think God Has Spoken needs it too. Impressive Jeuney is a jet and I want to pick it, but I want to see another run before I back it with any conviction. Morant has battled on well in tougher company than this the last few times and I'd keep him safe.

Good luck getting a price for Mabel Grace in the Jungle Mist. Power Princess first up is a chance and Heart Ache's last run before a quick freshen-up was very impressive. They're the best of the rest. Sunsilkin was a good thing beaten last run and could bounce back.

Waratah's Secret will be short, too. Marasco might need a run to get to the top I reckon plus gives away a big pull on the rest of the field. He's a proven weight carrier though. Werd is a good thing but not good enough this time. King Kool Kat and Ma Ma Machine are both handy too but not today. WS was just too good in the race with the best form last start and is getting away with it at the weights.

In the Guineas, I am going to go with Playing God. It had no luck last start and still ran a very nice race behind Hoegaarden, plus the start before that it absolutely wiped the floor with them. Motion Pictures will improve again and will be thereabouts. Hoegaarden too. Lauradane, All Friared Up, View The Stars, Pago Rock, hell, even Miss Condition if she can get over the wide draw. They're all in it, the race is wide open. The raider, Hour of Peril, has to be considered too. Just throw a dart at the board and have a few each way on the resulting number.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a pretty tasty 5-leg multi knocked over by my boys, the Denver Nuggets, after they upstaged the Lakers at the Pepsi Centre. I had the Lakers by 1-10. I've never been so content with losing a multi. God bless Channel One and their live NBA coverage.

For interest's sake, I had Chicago over Golden State, LA by 1-10 over Denver, Boston +6.5 over Miami, New Zealand over Adelaide and Gold Coast +3 over Cairns for a potential return of just over $20.

Nuggets were on fire in that 4th qtr. Hit everything... My multi went down along with quite a few units I had on it.

Ascot 13/11

R1:
The best from Club Liquid would see him competitive here, big weight this grade okay, drawn the rail is good and at Ascot early being a front running leader on the rail could be dynamite. I actually don’t think he’s travelling too badly either and his last run is a total forgive and forget. Galoubay is hard to follow but with the 3kg claim for Castle, being well drawn, the light weight and then can settle on pace – is a distance query – but with the no weight can pinch it. Blinkers off should help him settle too.

Club Liquid – Galoubay – Highest Honour – Brandy Lane

R2:
Willing to forgive the run of Vervacious second up last prep as he was a bit unlucky – it's a forgive and forget run now. His first up run was good, fitter here and drawn well again to race on pace. There looks to be a bit of speed out wider and this guy could just get the run of the race camping off them and sneak away with it for Shooter.
On talent, Black Felix with Harvey should just be winning – but – he will go back from the barrier, he looked no chance at the turn last time but had 100m more than what he does here. A swooper, barrier doesn’t help hi settle any closer, drop in distance, favourite – I’ll take him on.

Veracious – Black Felix – Noname City – Proud Hero

R3:
The Corporation is drawn well, was a genuine 3yo listed and group class performer, will drift back but there should be plenty of pace in the race to give him a chance and I think he’s just going to get better with age – most of these are well found at this level and don’t have the potential of progressing to better races – this guy does. His run last start was super when left no choice but to get way back from the wide draw – he should have more of a chance here. Dempsey is a well related gelding who was solid in his first in the west last time – expect him to improve off that, he drops in weight, he has showed some promise in earlier campaigns and maps well here. Not convinced about the strength of what he raced in last time, but betting on him to improve. Milken Whiskey is a dual acceptor today, he's currently the best horse in this race and the one to beat – but the wide barrier from this start sucks. Drifting back and stuck wide makes it hard to stick with him..

The Corporation – Dempsey – Shy Cano – Milken Whiskey

R4:
Vain Strike resumes here in an easier race than what he is used to over a suitable fresh distance. He should get his chance if he has come back well enough (he was way off them and not knocked around in a trial). I think his best kicks the butt of these – but he’ll drift back and Ascot isn’t always friendly to those coming from way back.. he's good double figure odds on Player and represents good value imo. Revy Jay hasn’t been far away lately, drawn well here will help him settle close without spending too much petrol, should get the perfect run on the speed and this is his chance to break through. there is a bit of pace in this race though which could set it up for a swooper...

Vain Strike – Revy Jay – Valoura – Canardly Miss

R5: Good quality, open race..
Morant is ready now third up, drawn the fence is okay, distance suits and can settle closer in the run than God Has Spoken (huge chance and many saying he should win). With the leaders likely to be Mega Steel and Impressive Jeuney, I think that Morant will just get the perfect drop on them and hold off the fast finishing closers.

Morant – God Has Spoken – Elliotto – Impressive Jeuney

R6:
Bitch of a race to sort out – mares, big field over 1200, no real stand out on talent only…
Coiled Spring is 6 weeks between runs, she trialled well behind Power Princess, she’s ‘unoffically’ in foal, has ran some cheeky races before and she has plenty of toe to use from the inside gate and is the potential leader here. She’s $31+ for a reason but I think she’s worth including.
Mabel Grace is drawn the fence, is in super form, has Harvey - hard to toss, will be well fancied favourite. This race is either very simple to figure out and you have her easily on top or it's wide open and any of about 10 runners can win without surprising.
See A Victory trialled well, gets the blinkers first time for this assignment, has form this distance and at the track. She has been around for a while, but I think this might be her best prep.
Jean was even first up, her best can see her competitive here, expecting improvement. She often tends to find trouble, but Kennedy rides her well..
Premardal has a win over Waratah’s Secret – but it’s just about impossible to win from that barrier here.

Coiled Spring – See A Victory – Mabel Grace – Jean

R7:
Waratah’s Secret is a star and should win easily… that said, this race has been a bit of a favourites graveyard over the years, but geez, if that’s the only knock I have on him, they’ll be struggling to beat him lol. There’s a lot of pace in the race, but he doesn’t have to lead and Harvey has plenty of options from the draw – he really should be winning and stamping himself as the best sprinter in the wild west. $2 is on offer and I think he’s an odds on chance, and will probably start there - it takes a good thing at short odds to get me to tip it on top.
If he gets beat, I’d love to see Marasco turn up and win, again.

Waratah’s Secret – Escadaire – Marasco – King Kool Kat (he’s improved so much! And trialled well)

R8:
A good edition of the Guineas, I think it’s very open and a nightmare for punters.
Will the fillies beat the boys again? Pago Rock is one of the faves – but he’s leaping 400m in a couple of weeks in only his 4th start and way up in grade, but Harvey has chosen him. Playing God has been backed for a stack and he looks like superman when in full flight and the distance+draw should suit (just like his bro, God Has Spoken).. I think Motion Pictures is racing like a miler this prep, she improved in the Burgess Queen last time, is drawn well in this so can settle closer, the 4kg drop in weight helps and she is classy. Playing God was unlucky last time and I think he’ll be the best horse coming out of the race.

Motion Pictures – Playing God – Hoegaarden – All Friared Up

R9: Bloody difficult sprint race – they seem to take turns! Lol.
Fleming Son is drawn well and he can use that gate. He won well third up last time in and ran some promising races in good 3yo company. His first up run was average/ok albeit in a much harder race and last start he was merely way out of his class. Back at Ascot, with Whiting, well drawn over 1200m and with only 53.5kg – I can just see him getting a nice run in transit and to get all the luck.

Fleming Son – Prince Courvoisier – Tranquility – Broome Time

Found this on the Punting Board. Usually follow tips from SYT and Rough Edges, seem to know their stuff.

There's quite a few that I like for a place at Ascot today -
Race 5 - Ranger
Race 7 - Marasco
Race 8 - Hoegaarden
Race 9 - Broome Time

17/11/2010

Well I'm back again with a few sports plays for today, took a break for a few days, realised I was on a losing run and doing silly things like creating massive multi bets which never get up lol. So sticking with the single bets and the odd double from now on.

Single Bets
Portland v Memphis over 193 @ $1.91 WIN
Philadelphia (+3) v Cleveland @ $1.91 LOSS

Double
Altanta (+2.5) and UNDER 207.5 v Indiana @ 1.95 WIN

I just had a little dabble at Oklahoma City over Houston into New Orleans over Dallas into Minnesota -3.5 over the Clippers. Paying $3.81.

If anyone is looking for a more long term investment, sportingbet has opened a fairly generous Winterbottom Stakes/Kingston Town Classic double market. My early pick of For Your Eyes Only into God Has Spoken is a very tasty $84. I want to see the Railway first, though.

I'm back home for the Railway but haven't really been following Ascot recently so will be relying on you guys for tips especially in the other races on the card Saturday.

Yeah righto dom, we all saw three of your four place tips get up last week. Your modesty is impressive though! ;)

To givee you a good idea of the form, check www.perthracing.com.au tonight and watch the videos in the box on the left. There's a series called 'The Box Seat' which shows a few replays and gives a really good preview for each race. It's not in the member's section so you can watch them for free, they're great.

I haven't had time to read the form for all of the races yet but Ranger will destroy them in the first and I like Mekong Miss in the Carbine Club. The Placid Ark is a very good race for a small field.

I havent had time to look at anything - but for the railway, think Gathering is a cracing type ... and think that could be time for Inarticulate to really hammer home and win. Was a length and a tad off colour correct, and shouldnt be at 16's - probably longer tomorrow.

So theres two random types to chuck out for you :)

Other than that, first glance agree re: Mekong Miss (assuming jumps!) and think Absolute Pleasure should murder them in the Placid Ark

Cheers and good luck

I havent had time to look at anything - but for the railway, think Gathering is a cracing type ... and think that could be time for Inarticulate to really hammer home and win. Was a length and a tad off colour correct, and shouldnt be at 16's - probably longer tomorrow.

So theres two random types to chuck out for you :)

Other than that, first glance agree re: Mekong Miss (assuming jumps!) and think Absolute Pleasure should murder them in the Placid Ark

Cheers and good luck

Haven't done the entire day, but just finished the railway,

Have Famous Roman, Trusting and Inarticulate on top, in front of Sniper's Bullet, God Has Spoken and Triple Honour.

Not too keen on Colour Correct (but then again have never been and always end up with egg on my face) but would love to see it get Sniper's Bullet right on the line.

Really wanting a WA victory, especially, God Has Spoken, Grand Nirvana and Ranger if gets a start, really excited!

Absolutely agree with your sentiment on Inarticulate kuep, he'll be big overs. But he still won't beat Colour Correct. My smokey is Megatic... his run in the Northerly was smoking and he had no luck in the Lee Steere. Considering he lugged 60kg around in the Northerly and gets away with 54.5kg here... Just sayin'.

[youtube]iXo-tYOgxEo[/youtube]

Not backing Sniper's Bullet based on this. Had every chance and went backwards when it mattered. Trusting boxed on well after I thought it was well gone a few times. I think that it's worked too hard this campaign though. Cox Plate, Mackinnon, Emirates AND a trip to Perth? Hmmm.

Colour Correct - Famous Roman - Megatic - God Has Spoken

I'll stick with Ranger and Mekong Miss, plus I'll add Even Astar. I'll keep an eye on Brookesmebaby and Guyno and if anyone's after a rough one, you could do worse than Casanova Jack in the last.

Another good day tomorrow.
Haven't had too much of a look but I like Hoegaarden, and have been on Whitefriars for a couple of weeks now so hopefully comes through with the goods.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back