News Lions Board Spill - update: Board Dispute Resolved

Remove this Banner Ad

Being out driving all day, I logged on fully expecting to see an EGM announcement. Instead there is a piss-weak message that looks like somebody's assistant posted it from their phone on the bus home?

What the f*#k Angus.

Yeah, I disagree.

The directors (all of them) were obliged to act per the will of the members.

The requisition demanded a members vote - not board members talking about the members having a vote.

If the "lets have a board meeting Tuesday" is the response - they've failed their members again, without so much as an acknowledgment.

Who called for an EGM? I assume the members?

I can only comment on what I have read on this thread but wasn't an EGM date due to have been called today. The "Matthews" ticket have nothing to do with the current boards actions? They have no mandate to 'delay' anything. Have a bad feeling the members are about to be stitched up...but surely with rules in place this could not happen legally. No doubt they are banking on apathy. It's a ****ing shame.

Happy to be corrected by FACTS (not excuses) on any of the above...I'm not across a lot of it.

Who called for an EGM? I assume the members?

I can only comment on what I have read on this thread but wasn't an EGM date due to have been called today. The "Matthews" ticket have nothing to do with the current boards actions? They have no mandate to 'delay' anything. Have a bad feeling the members are about to be stitched up...but surely with rules in place this could not happen legally. No doubt they are banking on apathy. It's a ******* shame.

Happy to be corrected by FACTS (not excuses) on any of the above...I'm not across a lot of it.
I am really pissed off with the non events of today and the last month. I don't want a negotiated settlement between the parties (probably 3 including the AFL). I want an EGM which the members have constitutionally called for.

I have a hypothetical, the EGM is the members right not the current board or the Power/Williams /Matthews ticket. What is to stop the members putting up their own candidates, throwing the current puppets out? We don't have to accept their negotiated settlement and we can set our own date. The elected members could then stand aside and then appoint who they consider worthy e.g. Matthews etc. I don't know if it is feasible or acceptable. but it would certainly put the wind up those doing their sweet little back room deals.
There is probably a lot of holes in my theory and there would probably be a cost to members but I just feel so angry about how we are treated.
Thoughts?

no_country_for_old_men_film_call_it_friend_o.jpg

Call it.

I guess Powers and Williams called for it rather than members with the members supporting their actions. In that case it is up to them to make the call on how to proceed.
It's a bit like giving your car keys to someone then not liking which route they take.
Who knows what has been touted at mediation or what the AFL really want or object to but clearly an EGM is the last course of action any of the parties want. I think both parties have suggested interim Chairs and they will now argue over which to employ which seems pointless if they can't agree on that, may as well just get on with the vote.
It's hard to know if the AFL really like Angus or are really anti-Powers but they clearly hate the thought of democratic process. (Worried about the monkeys running the zoo as it were).

Has the entire board been attending all the mediation or just the key figures of Matthews, Power, Williams & Johnson? If all have attended, you'd think they could have voted/passed any resolution there & then rather than waiting 'til they get home.

I guess Powers and Williams called for it rather than members with the members supporting their actions. In that case it is up to them to make the call on how to proceed.
It's a bit like giving your car keys to someone then not liking which route they take.
Who knows what has been touted at mediation or what the AFL really want or object to but clearly an EGM is the last course of action any of the parties want. I think both parties have suggested interim Chairs and they will now argue over which to employ which seems pointless if they can't agree on that, may as well just get on with the vote.
It's hard to know if the AFL really like Angus or are really anti-Powers but they clearly hate the thought of democratic process. (Worried about the monkeys running the zoo as it were).

Has the entire board been attending all the mediation or just the key figures of Matthews, Power, Williams & Johnson? If all have attended, you'd think they could have voted/passed any resolution there & then rather than waiting 'til they get home.

And in the meantime the trade period is about to begin...

Why would potential recruits want a bar of a club who are currently in disarray, leaderless and rudderless for all intents and purposes. Feel sorry for Leppa and footy dept.

The delaying tactics, the lack of communication and whatever are all horrible ... however I don't buy into the fact that we're in disarray.

It will definitely have a top-down effect when we have a solidly backed board in place, but for now the top-down will just come from Leppa's level. We've signed sign Clarke ... who I think is either the equal of Yeo (by far our biggest loss if he leaves) or even more useful.

Whatever the reason for all of these guys wanting to leave will be sorted out, but it's kind of irrelevant at this point. If they don't want to be here - see you later. We can get other people or picks (the number form of people) to take over and potentially do a better job anyway.

For some reason, despite it theoretically being worse at the moment, to me this doesn't feel as bad as our run of poor on-field performances in 2010/11. I wanted to sack Voss every weekend.

Let's hope something involving Leigh joining in some capacity happens on Monday/Tuesday?

The delaying tactics, the lack of communication and whatever are all horrible ... however I don't buy into the fact that we're in disarray.

It will definitely have a top-down effect when we have a solidly backed board in place, but for now the top-down will just come from Leppa's level. We've signed sign Clarke ... who I think is either the equal of Yeo (by far our biggest loss if he leaves) or even more useful.

Whatever the reason for all of these guys wanting to leave will be sorted out, but it's kind of irrelevant at this point. If they don't want to be here - see you later. We can get other people or picks (the number form of people) to take over and potentially do a better job anyway.

For some reason, despite it theoretically being worse at the moment, to me this doesn't feel as bad as our run of poor on-field performances in 2010/11. I wanted to sack Voss every weekend.

Let's hope something involving Leigh joining in some capacity happens on Monday/Tuesday?

My focus was off-field and if agents are doing their job they will advise clients accordingly (unless people take the view that all agents are interested in is the size of their cut;)). Personally, off field stuff is an important part of the overall picture...it's a reflection of the organisation and what's staring back at the moment is at best, questionable.

My focus was off-field and if agents are doing their job they will advise clients accordingly (unless people take the view that all agents are interested in is the size of their cut;)). Personally, off field stuff is an important part of the overall picture...it's a reflection of the organisation and what's staring back at the moment is at best, questionable.

I agree it's a pretty important part and the image of our board at the moment is pretty poor. Top down is how all great companies succeed and it'll be even better when there's some stability. Generally though, 80% of stuff is pretty good I reckon.

The Lion's Roar update

Lion for Life,

​As many of you will know, the time for the club to call the EGM passed yesterday. This effectively gives the Williams ticket the option of scheduling the EGM if they choose to do so.

A brief release on the Lions website advised last night that mediation was ongoing and a board meeting will be held next Tuesday.

As we've consistently said, we believe the members have the right to be heard and it is our view that if the club cannot be repaired through negotiation, then the members want the EGM to proceed.

We're not involved in the negotiations between the two tickets and the AFL so we can't update you any more in that regard. We have spoken to both the Johnson and Williams tickets but don't have a strong sense whether a resolution is imminent or even possible.

While we are frustrated with the ongoing delays, The Lion's Roar has decided to give the camps until Wednesday to resolve this. From your various communications with us, we know that you are also frustrated. As we've always sought to do, we've let both camps know your feelings - that you want action and that the delays are becoming increasingly unacceptable.

Hopefully, Tuesday's board meeting will bring some more clarity to the situation. Once we've heard from the opposing camps, we'll get back in contact with you next week.

We do have options. One way or another, we will get this sorted. Our proud club deserves nothing less.
Regards,

Adam, James, Michael, Andrew, Nathan, Craig & the rest of The Lion's Roar crew.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Lion's Roar update

Lion for Life,

​As many of you will know, the time for the club to call the EGM passed yesterday. This effectively gives the Williams ticket the option of scheduling the EGM if they choose to do so.

A brief release on the Lions website advised last night that mediation was ongoing and a board meeting will be held next Tuesday.

As we've consistently said, we believe the members have the right to be heard and it is our view that if the club cannot be repaired through negotiation, then the members want the EGM to proceed.

We're not involved in the negotiations between the two tickets and the AFL so we can't update you any more in that regard. We have spoken to both the Johnson and Williams tickets but don't have a strong sense whether a resolution is imminent or even possible.

While we are frustrated with the ongoing delays, The Lion's Roar has decided to give the camps until Wednesday to resolve this. From your various communications with us, we know that you are also frustrated. As we've always sought to do, we've let both camps know your feelings - that you want action and that the delays are becoming increasingly unacceptable.

Hopefully, Tuesday's board meeting will bring some more clarity to the situation. Once we've heard from the opposing camps, we'll get back in contact with you next week.

We do have options. One way or another, we will get this sorted. Our proud club deserves nothing less.
Regards,

Adam, James, Michael, Andrew, Nathan, Craig & the rest of The Lion's Roar crew.

received this email. TLR represent me and I trust them.

Said it before. This is just a spat between some rich guys. The members aren't going to be any better or worse off after this is resolved.

Whoever wins, we need to keep a bloody good eye on them.

Said it before. This is just a spat between some rich guys. The members aren't going to be any better or worse off after this is resolved.
That's a bit defeatist. This "spat" is also between a lot of disgruntled members at the end of their tether over a series of poor choices and worse communication and the 'leader' governing that administration.
I don't think we could be any worse off than now and would genuinely think that a change can only be for the better.

Maybe... but getting Leigh on the Board has to be a major net positive...in fact one of the most significant additions to Board personnel that the Club could ever ask for. For him to align himself with the Williams/Power ticket is pivotal in terms of what it says about Johnson's incompetent chairmanship. I couldn't imagine there would be too many, if any, AFL clubs that wouldn't jump at Lethal being on their Board. We are very fortunate that he has made this commitment after unsuccessful overtures to him to join the Board in recent years.

Whoever wins, we need to keep a bloody good eye on them.

Just as long as you remember that putting cameras in rest rooms is frowned upon.

That's a bit defeatist. This "spat" is also between a lot of disgruntled members at the end of their tether over a series of poor choices and worse communication and the 'leader' governing that administration.
I don't think we could be any worse off than now and would genuinely think that a change can only be for the better.

Maybe. I'd agree that having Lethal on board would probably be good. He could have come on board at any time but apparently didn't like Johnson. He hasn't given any reason so I have to assume its because Paul Williams doesn't like Johnson and Lethal is friends with Paul Williams. Paul Williams also hasn't given any particular reason why Johnson isn't a worthy president apart from some vague stuff I think about Johnson botching the Roos thing which really doesn't look like it was never going to happen and which, if it was ever plan, was one that all board members seem to have been in on. The club benefactors, whoever they may be, also seem to be on the verge of deserting us. I'm not sure how much of an issue this really is given that we've made about $13 million loss over the last 5 years. As benefactors they may not be worth much is what I'm saying.

Anyway, the rival ticket, while saying a few popular key phrases about Voss and the jersey to get the members on side has actually just said 'FU' to the members when negotiation time has come around. They'll get things sorted, probably to their benefit but maybe not, while the democratic process that is supposed to be part of the club constitution is really just ignored.

The jersey will change back and the club will find some stability and they're good things. If you think that the rival ticket would have done anything different in the 3 years since Johnson has been president then I'd like to see some proof. As I said, a spat amongst rich guys that has nothing to do with making the Lions a club for members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back