Lions rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, l don't think it is the Lions that have put talks on hold for Aish.
Very surprised at Adcock, would think if he left it would be his choice and not the Lions.
I agree, would also like to see him stay around our backline for at least another 2 years if only for helping the development of our younger guys

Suckling is an interesting one, would be happy to get him if relatively cheap, as we could use the experience and the above average disposal certainly wouldn't hurt, but wouldn't want to make a run at him if it cost us Adcock, or a potential KPP
Could see us going harder if Adcock decides to leave at the end of the year. As much as I think Cutler and Beams will project to be better players than Suckling you just have to have a bigger more experienced body out there to take some heat and settle down out back 6 when required. Can't have a back 6 full of 21 year olds.

To be fair, l don't think it is the Lions that have put talks on hold for Aish.
Very surprised at Adcock, would think if he left it would be his choice and not the Lions.
You think?
Even when just a week ago, it was said that the Lions offered to announce they were on hold, but 'team Aish' said "No. We're happy to continue negotiations throughout the year". ?
I think this is totally the club's call, as a means to defer any more media articles or questions on will he or won't he rubbish. The standard answer now, is "We'll wait 'til the end of the season". (On all of them). It's been a distraction most weeks, and we're only 7 rounds in. Good move by the Lions.

Could see us going harder if Adcock decides to leave at the end of the year. As much as I think Cutler and Beams will project to be better players than Suckling you just have to have a bigger more experienced body out there to take some heat and settle down out back 6 when required. Can't have a back 6 full of 21 year olds.
Have you seen Matt Suckling?

Last edited:
Sucklings body has been conditioned over the years and IIRC he is around the 88kg mark. Beams and Cutler are at least 5 kg lighter and won't be as strong as Suckling in the contest. He may not be "big" compared to a say a Wines for example but he is definitely bigger than what we have atm and he comes from a successful team which is invaluable.

Sucklings body has been conditioned over the years and IIRC he is around the 88kg mark. Beams and Cutler are at least 5 kg lighter and won't be as strong as Suckling in the contest. He may not be "big" compared to a say a Wines for example but he is definitely bigger than what we have atm and he comes from a successful team which is invaluable.
I wouldn't be surprised if Suckling is 5kg lighter than that as well. He's very skinny.
As for being strong in the contest... that's not why you'd be signing Suckling. His defensive skills aren't great, benefits greatly from being in that Hawthorn side. He's not quick, agile or overly physical. Poor man's Kade Simpson- I'm not a fan.

Last edited:
Suckling is a decent player - wouldn't have thought he would be the sort of 'big fish' we would be looking to land during FA though. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, infact, none at all. lol

Suckling is a decent player - wouldn't have thought he would be the sort of 'big fish' we would be looking to land during FA though. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, infact, none at all. lol
Yeah I agree. I see him as the Hawks version of Malceski but worse. Take him out of a good team and he will be vulnerable, as we have seen with Malceski.

Yeah I agree. I see him as the Hawks version of Malceski but worse. Take him out of a good team and he will be vulnerable, as we have seen with Malceski.

Yeah and with C. Beams, Cutler, Mayes - plus a massive midfield capable of rotating through that position, plus Rich, plus Adcock (not as good kick) we are more than catered for in that department. IMO. For me atm, it is literally KPP forwards or backs through trade or FA, or the best available in the draft.

Suckling would be putrid in a weak side.

Disagree. He's usually third in line when the Hawks look to break out of defence, behind Birchall and Gibson - and would provide a great outlet from defence.

It would also free up Rich so that he can either roam half back unattended or through midfield :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree. He's usually third in line when the Hawks look to break out of defence, behind Birchall and Gibson - and would provide a great outlet from defence.

It would also free up Rich so that he can either roam half back unattended or through midfield :thumbsu:
I think Harwood coming back would free up Rich can't see the difference between him and Suckling

Harwood is a neatish player without any real standout attributes..Suckling has a weapon of a left foot, coupled with premiership experience.

I think there's a huge difference between the two.
Suckling is quite overrated. Yes, his left foot is good but it overshadows a loose defensive game - which is somewhat papered over by Gibson, Lake, Stratton and obviously Hawthorn being a generally dominate team. I feel like he could be badly exposed in a weaker team, with the ball entering the D50 more often and similarly on the rebound/turnover.
I wouldn't be breaking the bank to bring him in, especially when we are in greater need of a KPF.

Suckling is quite overrated. Yes, his left foot is good but it overshadows a loose defensive game - which is somewhat papered over by Gibson, Lake, Stratton and obviously Hawthorn being a generally dominate team. I feel like he could be badly exposed in a weaker team, with the ball entering the D50 more often and similarly on the rebound/turnover.
I wouldn't be breaking the bank to bring him in, especially when we are in greater need of a KPF.

I'm not suggesting we pay $500K a year to get him, but many of our back 6 are ultra defensive (Clarke, Gardiner and Merrett especially) and it would be great to give the ball to someone like Suckling who could relieve that pressure somewhat, also allowing Hanley and Rich to attack more :thumbsu:

With regards to KPF, if there isn't one willing to head North - there's no point neglecting other deficiencies.

Agreed, Moose is gone end of season anyway and has had some concussions this season. Stalker is a shot duck and a waste of money but is contracted for another season. Neither of these two are in the top team anyway and they know the writing is on the wall. Big Rog didn't have a good season last year, his hamstring is bleeding into the nerve, with Pap's and Clark holding their own within a faster game plan where good delivery counts I can't see Merrit fitting in, he may want another go on the trade table this year but no ones would want him. All three could retire with injury allowing us to bring Jordan Bourke up off the Rookie list as a back up.

Do you mean Goose? I thought Moose was Lisle?

Oh thanks for that.....I was starting to think it was mandatory to have a Moose in the team every year....was just trying to work out who got handed the Moose title..

Agreed, Moose is gone end of season anyway and has had some concussions this season. Stalker is a shot duck and a waste of money but is contracted for another season. Neither of these two are in the top team anyway and they know the writing is on the wall. Big Rog didn't have a good season last year, his hamstring is bleeding into the nerve, with Pap's and Clark holding their own within a faster game plan where good delivery counts I can't see Merrit fitting in, he may want another go on the trade table this year but no ones would want him. All three could retire with injury allowing us to bring Jordan Bourke up off the Rookie list as a back up.

Staker is out of contract at the end of this season but I agree neither he or Goose will be offered another contract, Merrett still has a place in the side though, even with the form of a young brigade. Would have to be an extremely severe injury for us to part ways and although the continued delays for his return aren't encouraging I would still be surprised not to see him on our last next year, even if we manage to bring in Rance. Rance just makes the post Merrett transition smoother for our promising young defense.

Bourke has looked decent the few times I've seen him on a stream or once in a senior game, but the reports about his running capacity 3 years after being drafted are disappointing. I think we have a lot of young defenders who would be above him on the pecking order and think it's more likely we retain Merrett and cut Bourke off the list in favor of fresh rookies from the academy.

Harwood is a neatish player without any real standout attributes..Suckling has a weapon of a left foot, coupled with premiership experience.

Harwood is a very good kick too.

Oh thanks for that.....I was starting to think it was mandatory to have a Moose in the team every year....was just trying to work out who got handed the Moose title..

d3a697e75503717149b80c598d55a7e3.jpg

This bloke is putting his hand up!

Have a really close look at Suckling next weekend and see if you hold the same opinion at the end of it. When I have watched him he has pulled out a couple of very good highlight reel kicks in a game and as many if not more great looking kicks that miss the target. His defensive work is also below par and he seems to play for himself quite a bit. To me he looks like a backline version of Travis Johnstone.

Whilst discussing back prospects it may also be worth mentioning that Hipwood played in defence in the last TAC game for Qld. Got quite a lot of the pill too in front a heap of recruiters. Although he has played mostly as a forward I would not rule out him at the other end of the ground. Having a couple of athletic 200cm KPDs in the team would make things interesting at the back.

Have a really close look at Suckling next weekend and see if you hold the same opinion at the end of it. When I have watched him he has pulled out a couple of very good highlight reel kicks in a game and as many if not more great looking kicks that miss the target. His defensive work is also below par and he seems to play for himself quite a bit. To me he looks like a backline version of Travis Johnstone.

Whilst discussing back prospects it may also be worth mentioning that Hipwood played in defence in the last TAC game for Qld. Got quite a lot of the pill too in front a heap of recruiters. Although he has played mostly as a forward I would not rule out him at the other end of the ground. Having a couple of athletic 200cm KPDs in the team would make things interesting at the back.

I think that our future is starting to look quite bright with our KPP's down back especially after seeing Andrews with his move down there and what he has done. Hipwood would also add further depth which all the good teams have. Patience will also be required but patience is something that us Lions supporters have shown plenty of over the last few years. Add some more KPF's this year and then i think that we'll have back and forward covered for the next decade or so in relation to KPP's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back